PDA

View Full Version : How About a PC Demo For R6V?

ThumperDFN
02-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Hey! We PC guys deserve a demo too! Is there one available? If not, when will there be? Lots of gamers don't buy games these days without having played a demo first. Its just good marketing to release the demo. Come on UBI!!!

ST.Joker
02-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Not gonna happen. Demos are released before the game not after. would not have changed anything we all most likely would have purchased it anyways after playing a demo.

world_destroya
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
a multiplayer demo? ^^ i hope not

randolfphe
02-07-2007, 02:32 PM
the time for a demo has already passed...and judging from the response they're getting and how the game is running, it would be a definite waste of their time as well

Special_Brad
02-07-2007, 02:54 PM
The Beta Demo costs $50. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

xoops
02-07-2007, 04:21 PM
There are roughly two kinds of people:
A) Those who are cautious and wise enough to read reviews and wait for a demo before buying,
B) Those who buy anything regardless of any demo.

Regardless of the qualities (or instead lack of...) of the story and gameplay, UBI knew they had a technically buggy product in their hands. It is a straight console port with no optimization and scalability whatsoever. You have to own a top of the line PC with SM 3.0 graphics card. And even there, the game won't run with many frames-per-seconds. And it's without counting the freezes and crashes...

Releasing a demo has no effect on customers from category B (maybe 80% of this community). On the other hand, they would have lost everyone from category A. By not releasing a demo, they therefore manage to get some probability to screw those people from category A who are too curious and take the risk to buy the game.

So not releasing a demo is the right business move, if we are to talk in strict financial terms and don't bother about good corporation-customer relationship, mutual respect and self-respect...

On the other hand, since UBI considers its PC market as insignificant, they might as well not have released a demo even with a functional product.

ST.Joker
02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Special_Brad:
The Beta Demo costs $50. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gifLMAO. thats the version I have

randolfphe
02-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by xoops:
There are roughly two kinds of people:
A) Those who are cautious and wise enough to read reviews and wait for a demo before buying,
B) Those who buy anything regardless of any demo.

Regardless of the qualities (or instead lack of...) of the story and gameplay, UBI knew they had a technically buggy product in their hands. It is a straight console port with no optimization and scalability whatsoever. You have to own a top of the line PC with SM 3.0 graphics card. And even there, the game won't run with many frames-per-seconds. And it's without counting the freezes and crashes...

Releasing a demo has no effect on customers from category B (maybe 80% of this community). On the other hand, they would have lost everyone from category A. By not releasing a demo, they therefore manage to get some probability to screw those people from category A who are too curious and take the risk to buy the game.

So not releasing a demo is the right business move, if we are to talk in strict financial terms and don't bother about good corporation-customer relationship, mutual respect and self-respect...

On the other hand, since UBI considers its PC market as insignificant, they might as well not have released a demo even with a functional product.

pretty much, hopefully category b decreases in size as they learn from this experience and just let rainbow six sink slowly into console kiddie shooter hell

bigfilsing
02-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ST.Joker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Special_Brad:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gifLMAO. thats the version I have </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and for 50 bucks you get a version that is fully functional ...well almost.

Added to which a demo would have been at least as buggy as this version and would have screwed up sales ......mmmmmmh wonder why we didn;t get a demo.

Be grateful ...just think how much it would have cost if it had had all the good bits from previous R6 versions. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Daliz1984
02-12-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't really get it why the developers don't release proper demos nowadays, I mean in general. I remember in the 90's there were demos of EVERY game, at least every game that I had any interest in.

And at the same time they're whining about piracy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

A proper demo
-is something that there should be of every single game
-is released before the release date of the complete game, or at the same time of the release of the complete game
-should be EASILY available for download, in every region in the world. I live in Finland and it's sooo great to download something on Fileplanet or some place like that. First I have to wait for an hour for the download to start, and then I get it at crappy speed like 5Kbps. They should be on some FTP server, or as a torrent.

This is how it should be, and I bet it'll help against piracy too.

Tacamo
02-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Or what about the time when they... *GASP* Released multiple demos of SP and/or MP of the game.

Oh btw I'd love to know where that excuse went that demos help games get cracked faster. I recall plenty of games being cracked and offered in all kinds of newsgroups and torrent sites. A certain percentage of any market regardless of encryption technology will suffer from bootlegging. Prime example being the HD-DVD format with it's robust encryption. Yet 19 gig movies are floating around the internet. Blu-ray will probably suffer the same fate by the end of the year.

SoK-CRiTiCaL
02-12-2007, 06:19 PM
On the piracy statement how can you not download the game first and try it after getting burned by ubi over and over?

Even though we downloaded the game and played over battlelan, i still bought it because it was fun and the new eye candy and movement and guns help sell the game to me. I think the majority dont buy a game like this to play single player at least i wouldn't. If i wanted to play single player id fire up my dusty console.

Its only after getting on multiplayer that we had any problems.

rogerwilco99
02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ST.Joker:
Not gonna happen. Demos are released before the game not after. would not have changed anything we all most likely would have purchased it anyways after playing a demo.

Well, now, I don't believe that's quite right. Demos are produced to try to get people to buy a game. Some are produced using code that is mostly done with beta testing. And some are produced using RTM code. So some demos come out before the game, some demos come out at the same time as the game, and some demos come out after the game goes to retail.

The demos that come out at release time or after are generally just for marketing purposes. The demos that come out (both single and multi-player) are often also public beta testing.

Sometimes more than one demo is released. An initial demo is released prior to retail for testing and marketing purposes. And then another demo is released using the code from the retail version of the game.

FarCry came out with two different demos prior to release.

It's entirely possible that UBISoft could produce an R6Vegas demo for the PC. But at this late date we will probably only see one if an expansion pack or a sequel is created.

I don't think a demo of R6Vegas in it's current form would make any sales for those who favor multi-player. It _might_ for those who favor single player. And that might be the only flavor we see _if_ we ever see a demo.

I would have purchased the game after playing a demo since that's fairly solid. But many who focus on the multi-player most likely would not given the number of complaints about it here.

wabbit1990
02-25-2007, 05:12 PM
hey guy their is going to be a demo of r6 vegas in about 3 weeks time, pc gamer and pc zone next issues feat the demo on the disk

randolfphe
02-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by wabbit1990:
hey guy their is going to be a demo of r6 vegas in about 3 weeks time, pc gamer and pc zone next issues feat the demo on the disk

lmao a demo after 3 months