PDA

View Full Version : Comms Poll

MrMojok
08-28-2007, 10:18 PM
A while back I got a headset and mic, after playing online from time to time for about six months.

I only downloaded teamspeak because I got the stuff. But I now realize just how much I missed by not at least listening to comms all that time, when I had no mic.

If anyone reads this and doesn't have comms, let me tell you something. On a lot of the online servers, at most times there are anywhere from 6-12 people at least on comms, and they are all working together.

You know what it's like flying around looking for dots. Well, imagine five guys flying around in the same grid, all of them looking around and calling out what they see. They're not flying in formation wingtip to wingtip, but they are in the same general area, heading the same direction.

Imagine furthur, a lot of these guys have been doing this together for several months, or maybe for five years. Now, if you are out there stooging around by yourself, and one of these guys sees you... you have serious problems, my friend. It will never be 1 vs 1; it might look like it at first to you but all the while you are tangling with #1 his buddies are on the way or already there, using your fixation on him to drop on you from above or behind.

There are loose groups of people who often fly red or blue together on different servers, there are people who fly both equally, there are squadrons who always fly together. Join any server that's not just an Airquake "take off-fight anyone" type of deal, and these people are there, make no mistake. And they are especially looking for people like you, who are all alone and not listening to comms.

If you don't have a mic, but at least listen on TS, you can get an idea of what your side is doing. Even if you can't talk to them, fly to them. Safety in numbers.

Sometimes, a person on comms will see you and ask if you can hear him. Type something in the chatbar or better yet just waggle your wings. If he knows you are listening but not talking he (and others) will be more inclined to include you in their strategizing.

Now, all that being said, please answer the poll, and truthfully.

MrMojok
08-28-2007, 10:18 PM
A while back I got a headset and mic, after playing online from time to time for about six months.

I only downloaded teamspeak because I got the stuff. But I now realize just how much I missed by not at least listening to comms all that time, when I had no mic.

If anyone reads this and doesn't have comms, let me tell you something. On a lot of the online servers, at most times there are anywhere from 6-12 people at least on comms, and they are all working together.

You know what it's like flying around looking for dots. Well, imagine five guys flying around in the same grid, all of them looking around and calling out what they see. They're not flying in formation wingtip to wingtip, but they are in the same general area, heading the same direction.

Imagine furthur, a lot of these guys have been doing this together for several months, or maybe for five years. Now, if you are out there stooging around by yourself, and one of these guys sees you... you have serious problems, my friend. It will never be 1 vs 1; it might look like it at first to you but all the while you are tangling with #1 his buddies are on the way or already there, using your fixation on him to drop on you from above or behind.

There are loose groups of people who often fly red or blue together on different servers, there are people who fly both equally, there are squadrons who always fly together. Join any server that's not just an Airquake "take off-fight anyone" type of deal, and these people are there, make no mistake. And they are especially looking for people like you, who are all alone and not listening to comms.

If you don't have a mic, but at least listen on TS, you can get an idea of what your side is doing. Even if you can't talk to them, fly to them. Safety in numbers.

Sometimes, a person on comms will see you and ask if you can hear him. Type something in the chatbar or better yet just waggle your wings. If he knows you are listening but not talking he (and others) will be more inclined to include you in their strategizing.

Now, all that being said, please answer the poll, and truthfully.

JG51_Rudel
08-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I use TS for to talk to my squad mates on Forgotten Skies and during training.

Stew278
08-28-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't use comms. If the voice communication were restricted to combat messages only I might. I find myself at a disadvantage because of this, but oh well. I hear enough idle chatter all day at work. I play video games to get away from people, not to chit chat.

rockgardenlove
08-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Listen often, talk rarely.
I'm talkin' one word responses.

Capt.LoneRanger
08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Listen always, if there is somebody on TS, talk when there is something to say. After all, there are different channels on most servers, so I talk about tactical information, but if I want a smalltalk, I leave the channel.

JG52Uther
08-29-2007, 04:20 AM
Ventrillo for the squad.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-29-2007, 06:34 AM
When I first started flying this sim, there were very few TS servers that were actually open. Most were locked "squad" servers that were exclusive.

I got so frustrated at being at a constant disadvantage that I started making it a habit to start one of those Public TS channels before I would join and offer for others rogues to join. After a couple months, we had a group of regulars and our effectiveness grew exponentially.

These days, almost all the popular servers host open TS channels for those that fly on their servers and I can't stress strongly enough how much better it is to have a good percentage of pilots on. HISTORIA, Warbirds of Prey (i.e. Spits-vs-109's and Zekes-vs-Wildcats), Warclouds all have public TS available. Some are passworded, but the PW is also readily available.

Some people habitually HOG the bandwidth and feel that someone should always be saying something. Accordingly, if you get too many on one channel then it can be difficult to glean pertinent and relevant information or even get a word in as someone will be 'stepping' on your transmission. Bear with it and even mute those individuals if the chatter gets too much. That way you can still hear what's going on just without the blabber-mouths.

I also highly recommend going to SimHQ and familiarizing yourself with the air combat Brevity code. Here's a link: http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_008a.html

Verbal contact with anyone on your team can and will improve your survival rate exponentially.

TB

x6BL_Brando
08-29-2007, 06:43 AM
One of my team-mates has had his sound die on him. He's having a new rig built but, in the meantime, he's still flying squad missions with us on the old set-up.

The difference in our team-work and group SA is huge! Normally we are in constant comms through TS, able to warn each other of incoming, or direct each other on to ground targets.

The point is "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone". I can't imagine NOT using comms, like I can't imagine not using TrackIR or rudder pedals.

Brando

DKoor
08-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Listen but don't talk.

DrHerb
08-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't listen enough and talk too much http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

BrotherVoodoo
08-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Communication= sending and recieving data (listening and talking)

DrHerb
08-29-2007, 03:03 PM
guess i didnt get that memo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Airmail109
08-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Theres no "I listen to enemy radio transmissions and Sing" option

Which I had a habbit of doing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Among other things