PDA

View Full Version : OT:Apaches over Staffordshire!!

Bo_Nidle
05-17-2005, 06:08 PM
After a couple of years of a military aircraft drought over my neck of the woods,I was treated yesterday to the British Armys, even HM Forces, most sensible purchase for decades finally showing up in force!

Numerous AH64D's flew back and forth for a couple of hours over my area of the Staffordshire Moorlands at VERY low level providing excellent entertainment for me but causing me to ruin my slippers as I ran outside through building work we are having done and the neighbours now are sure I am bonkers!

Nice to see the UK not only has a dedicated tank busting helo but its also the best one money can buy!

Thanks lads.Please feel free to stop by again at any time!

just had to share.

NorrisMcWhirter
05-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Did they come from RAF Stafford? There's been quite a bit of activity around them there parts the last few weeks (I work not far away from it). Seen tons of Chinooks, Lynxs etc buzzing about - far more than usual...no Apaches though.

Ta,
Norris

Yimmy
05-17-2005, 06:48 PM
"HM Forces, most sensible purchase for decades"

Meh... they may look brutish but they were certainly not the best buy we ever made, in fact I think they were a very bad buy.

The Apache lacks the survivability needed to fight on a modern battleifled, they are like flying tanks, they are not nearly agile enough.

Down in Salisbury plain I have seen them operating along side other aircraft, and they simply are in a lesser league compared tp Lynx where it comes to low level flygina and agility.

For the gunship role we would have been much better off buying Westland Augusters or European Tigers.

HorribleSailor
05-17-2005, 07:40 PM
To support what Yimmy said, HM Forces aquired Apache not because HM Forces decided it needed a new attack helicopter, but because the Army jumped up and down in Whitehall saying "we want Apache, we want Apache!"

Fair enough, but this was sold to HM Forces as a whole (ie, the RN and RAF supported) because it was envisaged that the Apache would do more than just tank bust. I don't have a problem with its tank busting abilities, which are combat proven. I take issue with its ability to operate off warships to both support amphibious ops and combat small surface threats. Sure, it's got a great radar, but it has got an awfully narrow undercarriage and the body reacts v badly to salt water! Maybe some more thought would have been useful...

sparty7200
05-18-2005, 03:06 AM
hi guys...im living in malta but come from stoke just up the road aways!..how is things that way??
Good to hear were on a par with those APACHES!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
SPARTY

Capt.LoneRanger
05-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Apaches are awesome - still hope for some sort of sequel to Janes Longbow series. Great game.

The first Apaches I saw was near Frankfurt/M. I yelled out "APACHES!", while driving in a bus together with a few friends. They looked at me, as if I was some sort of alien. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Lucius_Esox
05-18-2005, 04:47 AM
Apaches are awesome - still hope for some sort of sequel to Janes Longbow series. Great game.

Totally agree. Brought my CH pedals for that game

Arm_slinger
05-18-2005, 07:36 AM
I can't wait to see the navalised version the Royal Marines will have for support http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Abbuzze
05-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Anyone have an comparision between the Apache and the Tigre/Tiger ?
Autralia bought 20 Tiger, that was the last what I heard.

whiteladder
05-18-2005, 08:06 AM
I can't wait to see the navalised version the Royal Marines will have for support

All helicopters are now under the Joint Helicopter Command(JHC). This mean that the Marines will not get a dedicated allotement, rather that the apprpriate number will be tasked from the AAC by the JHC.

This means for example when operating from HMS Ocean the Apaches blades would have to be manually removed to strike them below deck(the lift is to small otherwise) in much the same way that RAF Chinooks have their blades removed.

FI-Aflak
05-18-2005, 11:58 AM
You're british, so you know the show Top Gear?

Car show, for the uninformed. They did a stunt where they put Jeremy in a Lotus Exige, talked the military into sending an Apache and a pilot, and then played a game:
Lotus gets around the track, it wins.
Helo gets missile lock on the lotus, it wins.
Rules: helo not allowed to leave confines of the track, must stay close to car.

It is a hilarious video. I've got it on my HDD but my computer is down (awaiting my new Hyundai L90D+) at the moment.

When it gets back I'll try to find hosting for it, it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Enforcer572005
05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Dont count on EA to ever release anohter decent military sim thats not arcadish. Longbow was great-as was the korea adon for it. I just i could find the anthology version that would run on current windows versions.

Electronic arts seemed to have been bought by Jane Fonda or some PC type. they mainly do sports stuff now. the few military offerings seem to be little more htan arcades. Pity, as they had a similiar attitude to 1C, great support, and they listened to users, and were very inovative and had the best misn blder for yrs. the navy fighters-nato fighters sims were great, and could be modified by users.

they were gettng into the military sim field pretty seriously with a great website and forum etc, then suddenly BOOM, they went jock on us. WW2 fighters was the last good thing they made, and it would have been alot better if they had expanded it, but not to be. differnt management i guess.

I know of no such realistic attack copter sim availible nowadays.