PDA

View Full Version : My X45.. What to get next?

Photon-
02-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Well I've had my x45 for a long time now, but after a while I've come to a conclusion that it simply aint accurate enough. The friction the "spring cup" thing gives to the joystick is just a bit to "sticky" so the joystick moves in kind of jerky movements instead of moving smoothly.
The joystick is great at most things, but when you get close to people, like closer than .5 when the leading and shooting starts It's so hard to put the crosshairs where you want them.
So I've figured I need a new stick, and I've been looking around a bit.
First of all I've heard that the CH joysticks are really good, but I don't think there's anyone selling it over here in norway, so I have to go with another option I think.
I've looked at the x52, but that would probably give me the same problems, but on the other hand the cyborg EVO and the cyborg EVO Force Feedback, I've heard some good things about those.
Are they more accurate than the x-45 joystick? Bcs I see that they implement the same sort of spring system.
Well if anyone has an recommendations, or other tips, please post =)

Slechtvalk
02-03-2005, 03:28 AM
x52, it's very good with aiming/precise control at the centre, dont worry.

zjulik
02-03-2005, 04:38 AM
I`d try to play with joystick sensitivity in the ingame control panel first. Reducing responsiveness on movements may help.
If that doesn`t work out, I heard the other day that Datakjeden (or perhaps it was Komplett) had a good deal on the Thrustmaster Cougar - somewhere around 2000. That`s not bad.
Greetings from Bergenhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SithSpeeder
02-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Photon--

When I first got my X-45, it was very sticky...nearly unplayable for the exact reason you mentioned. I tried using things that I thought would properly lubricate it, but they didn't seem to work. Then, I found the "candle wax" trick. And even though I was ridiculously skeptical, I did it anyways...and it worked _very well_.

Others have tried very small amounts of pure silicone grease (not spray lubricant) and have had good results as well.

That, coupled with proper deadzones and in-game stick settings may help fix your problem.

* _54th_Speeder *

BelaLvgosi
02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
I use graphite, scratching a cartridge stick making dust to the movable parts. It works very well and holds months.

flyingscampi
02-04-2005, 02:38 AM
The best stuff is from CH Products and Microsoft. (Or Thrustmaster if you're a masochist).

Microsoft available on eBay or post a thread on the CH Hangar forums to find out if you have a local supplier.

http://www.ch-hangar.com/

Capt.LoneRanger
02-04-2005, 03:07 AM
If you're in the US or Canada, get a CH-Products HOTAS. I would have bought one, but in Germany they're even more expensive than a TM Cougar, so I got one of those. Nice HOTAS, btw, very modable, but the bad thing about it is, that you have to mod it, in order to fly with it. Very expensive for a DoItYourself-Kit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

flyingscampi
02-04-2005, 07:00 AM
He's from Norway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Photon-
02-04-2005, 10:09 AM
yea ch looks nice, been putting a few wtb posts on forums for the ms ffb2 though. We'll see.
Does anyone have any experience with the cyborg evo, or cyborg evo force though? Are they any better with the "friction" than the x45, been trying the wax thing, not sure if im doing it right though lol, the wax just smolders alot

SithSpeeder
02-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Photon--

Use a cheap birthday candle, push your stick over to one side and you will see the spring compress as the 2" plastic washer slides upwards on the stick post. On the convex (or bottom) side of the washer, rub the end of the candle around the outer half of the surface. You can also see that the bottom of this washer (or disc) rubs against a plastic ring on the base of the stick. Rub the candle around that ring, too. Then, (this is a little trickier) take your thumb and push the washer up even further (beyond its normal full deflection) and rub a bit of the candle on the shaft of the stick itself. You don't have to go down very far because in the neutral position, the washer _can't_ slide down that far. Push your stick over to the other side and repeat.

A guy had pics once on the net, but I couldn't find them again. If I ever get my website updated, I'll add some digital pics. But I hope this description helps.

There should be no "smoldering" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

* _54th_Speeder *

Photon-
02-04-2005, 01:14 PM
some pics would actually be nice yea, cause it's the cup vs edge that makes the friction right? not sometihng beneath the rubber thingy

SithSpeeder
02-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Correct.

I also use a deadzone so that I have to be a bit beyond the neutral position before starting to get controls deflection. This wouldn't be necessary if the stick were long (attached to the floor) like in real life. But because of the short throw, I found it to be an acceptable workaround.

* _54th_Speeder *

Snoop_Baron
02-04-2005, 05:56 PM
I would recommend getting an Evo Force and combining it with your X45 throttle and using the X45 stick as a button bay.

Btw, the X52 stick feels *nothing* like the sticky X45. It feels more like the Evo or Cyborg 3D gold buth with a longer throw. It is not sticky and the spring is softer like the Evos.

But I would still go for the X45 + Evo Force. It will cost you less than an X52 but you will end up with more buttons and force feedback.

s!
Snoop

Photon-
02-04-2005, 08:22 PM
so force feedback is a + in games like il2?

flyingscampi
02-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I've got an EVO on my PC at work. It isn't much better than the X45 and the twist rudder doesn't help the accuracy either imo. It's easy to accidentally apply a bit of rudder. But then it's a quarter of the price of a Fighterstick which requires seperate pedals as well...