PDA

View Full Version : If there is a Final patch, how hard would it be to add Dual Core Support?

Mysticpuma2003
07-23-2007, 11:21 PM
No, I'm not a coder, so I really do not know, but I have a dual-core system, and it seems a shame to have that power sitting there, wanting to be used, but not.

I know BoB will have Dual (possibly Quad) support, but IL2 has so much still to offer, that the increased power would really benefit the game by decreasing stutters with large formations and explosions, also the draw distance (smoke and buildings that pop-up as you draw near) could be increased with the added power.

I am just wondering if it is at all feasible to add this benefit in a final patch?

Cheers, MP.

Mysticpuma2003
07-23-2007, 11:21 PM
No, I'm not a coder, so I really do not know, but I have a dual-core system, and it seems a shame to have that power sitting there, wanting to be used, but not.

I know BoB will have Dual (possibly Quad) support, but IL2 has so much still to offer, that the increased power would really benefit the game by decreasing stutters with large formations and explosions, also the draw distance (smoke and buildings that pop-up as you draw near) could be increased with the added power.

I am just wondering if it is at all feasible to add this benefit in a final patch?

Cheers, MP.

BBB_Hyperion
07-24-2007, 02:23 AM
That depends on the structure of the program . Most likely it is easier to write a new one than to refine the old to the use of multi core systems.

Mostly the effects you mentioned have not in first place to do with the cpu but with serveral other factors as well. Stutters appear when adressing local virtual cache file takes too much time. That can be hdd access , bus system too slow, memory slow etc. There is a automatic garbage collection as well running from time to time in background.

With USB Sticks getting cheaper there are some ways to avoid long caches.
For example Vista supports using fast USB Sticks as Virtual Adressor for HDD Virtual Memory. Further in near future you could place the game and the virtual hdd space on an USB Stick (when these got cheaper). Then caching could most likely be reduced or you have a very outdated system.

For the future developements multi cpus are needed for task depending operations like 1 cpu for physics alone etc . But this have to be in the structure of the program from start . Reworking old code takes about 3 times as long as writing new one.

Skoshi Tiger
07-24-2007, 03:15 AM
There was an online video of Oleg showing off a early version of the BOB engine. In it he was asked if BOB was optimised for dual core processors.

His reply was that they were still waiting for Intel to release the dual core optimised compilers. I don't know if this has happened yet.

The only way I can see 4.09 being changed would be if they were trying out ideas for BoB! And even then if it required more than simple changes then it wouldn't be reasonable for them to try it out for IL2!

Scorpion.233
07-24-2007, 07:50 AM
You have to rewright a lot of code. Implementing multi core is a really huge job, might as well wait for the flyable B17.