PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, please review I-16 performance

Firestorm07
12-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Disclaimer - I have not downloaded 3.02b, I only download official fully worked patches. I think the work that goes into this sim is fantastic and I am willing to wait however long is necessary to get things right. The fun does not end because of padantic requests like the one that follows:

Oleg,

In the 3.01m patch, the I-16 does not really handle like an I-16 anymore. Not that I have flown the real one, but if you've had this beautiful plane performing a particular way for so long, why the change?

Specifically, it now seems to snap spin in low speed hard break maneuvers with the nose low, much more often than it used to.

When it goes into a spin, it recovers way too easily, almost like it's a heavier plane which pushes its nose down. I found that the flat spin that is the I-16's trademark is much more rare.

It seems to have trouble holding a sustained low speed turn with the nose on the horizon. This is something which was easy to achieve before and a trademark of it's low speed maneuverability.

If I had to be critical, I would say it almost handles like an early spitfire.

It may be the case that the performance of the Ishka is now more in tune with RL, however if that's the case then why has it been so different for so long?

For your consideration.

Firestorm

BBB_Hyperion
12-08-2004, 03:14 PM
3.01 and already complaining about instabil aircraft install 3.02 bm if you want to complain. In 3.01 Planes were pretty stable.

Von_Zero
12-08-2004, 03:40 PM
also, please don't use the "if it was cool that way, why change it?" as an argument.There will be nothing changed in the game, unless you are presenting some strong data....

p1ngu666
12-08-2004, 04:32 PM
von_zero, i16 changed alot in pf 3.0 iirec

its no more the http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif plane it once was http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif.

Stiglr
12-08-2004, 05:51 PM
The only relevant point is,

"Is it right?"

If not, it should be changed. If so, leave it alone.

Firestorm07
12-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Gentlemen,

Agreed wholeheartedly with Stiglr, that whatever the flight feel might be and whatever it may once have been are irrelevant points.

I'd rather fly an I-16 that is closer to reality than one that has become familiar. However, my concern is that as part of the flight modelling modifications that came with PF, there is a possibility that attention was paid to making sure all new and popular aircraft feel right and correct, while in the rush of production and product release, the I-16 may have been overlooked and perhaps lost it's connection with RL.

These things happen, it's part of business.

So, as I do not have data and I do not know what the I-16 feels like in RL, I can only comment on what it has felt like for me in the past. If that was "right" and may have been "right" for so long then this current version may not be, as a result of production tweaks.

I feel that the I-16, like all planes needs to be authentic. For this reason I feel that bringing it to the attention of the development team, was the right thing to do.

As always, I trust that all commentary is read and taken into consideration in the process of achieving excellence in flight simulation by the 1C team.

Thanks for listening.

Firestorm07

lbhskier37
12-08-2004, 07:04 PM
I had heard a while ago that although the I16 was super maneuverable, it was a tough plane to fly and easy to spin. I could be totally wrong but I thought I remembered reading it somewhere. Just looking at the thing, you would think a plane that short would have to be easy to spin.

Firestorm07
12-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Yes, indeed, the I-16 has always been a very tricky to fly, prone to spins if mishandled. It was once said (during original IL2 days) that if you learnt to fly the I-16 and the P-39, you could fly anything!

Infact the RL I-16 was said to require constant concentration from the pilot as it was somewhat unstable in all three axes.

What we are talking about here is not necessarily it's tendency to spin, but the snap spin triggers and spin characteristics being very different from the previous incarnations of this beautiful stubby fighter.

VVS-Manuc
12-09-2004, 03:03 AM
adjusting the joystick settings sometimes makes a wonder http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif