PDA

View Full Version : Socalled "bargains" in our forums, and what to do



zjulik
02-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Only today, one new poster managed to get three new "discussions" in General forum, all leading to websites offering free this and that. I would like to make a few comments on this.

It is a fairly new, but already quite well-known fact, that spyware, browser hijacker files and virii *can* get to your machine even if you do not open mail attachments or download suspicious software. Simply clicking on a link may cause trouble. If it doesn`t, chances are you may arrive at a site where someone manages to convince you to participate in highly doubtful lotteries, or guarantee you money and a careless life.

However, our forums would lose a lot if noone was allowed to post links - to game utilities, skin sites, interesting reads etc!

Therefore, a little advice to you all:
- Be sceptical to anything off-topic with links.
- Remember: There is *no* such thing as a free lunch!
- When in doubt about a site being linked too, try the little trick of pasting the url in Google`s search field, and do a search not only in Google`s "web" section but also in "groups", where the results you get will be forum posts mentioning the site in question. Often you will quickly be able to determine the danger of "going there".
- If you already think you may have aquired nasties by visiting a spam/spyware site, clean your PC. Note that Microsoft as of recently offers a free antispyware tool, which seems to be getting good reviews.

Personally I hope that Ubi reacts as quickly as they have done today, locking posts of this kind. I also feel pity for those individuals who base their web activities on targeting the 10% naive enough to buy their sad stories, while being detested by the remaining 90%. Is it really worth it?

zjulik
02-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Only today, one new poster managed to get three new "discussions" in General forum, all leading to websites offering free this and that. I would like to make a few comments on this.

It is a fairly new, but already quite well-known fact, that spyware, browser hijacker files and virii *can* get to your machine even if you do not open mail attachments or download suspicious software. Simply clicking on a link may cause trouble. If it doesn`t, chances are you may arrive at a site where someone manages to convince you to participate in highly doubtful lotteries, or guarantee you money and a careless life.

However, our forums would lose a lot if noone was allowed to post links - to game utilities, skin sites, interesting reads etc!

Therefore, a little advice to you all:
- Be sceptical to anything off-topic with links.
- Remember: There is *no* such thing as a free lunch!
- When in doubt about a site being linked too, try the little trick of pasting the url in Google`s search field, and do a search not only in Google`s "web" section but also in "groups", where the results you get will be forum posts mentioning the site in question. Often you will quickly be able to determine the danger of "going there".
- If you already think you may have aquired nasties by visiting a spam/spyware site, clean your PC. Note that Microsoft as of recently offers a free antispyware tool, which seems to be getting good reviews.

Personally I hope that Ubi reacts as quickly as they have done today, locking posts of this kind. I also feel pity for those individuals who base their web activities on targeting the 10% naive enough to buy their sad stories, while being detested by the remaining 90%. Is it really worth it?

Chuck_Older
02-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Sticky request!


I like how the only replies in those threads are "get lost" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

LStarosta
02-05-2005, 08:40 AM
I thought all that was common sense...

Guess not...

1.JaVA_Razer
02-05-2005, 08:55 AM
for us it is I suppose but apparently not for all.

Nice of you to post a heads up btw http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
02-05-2005, 11:22 AM
If that person comes back it will be under a new name and the posts have been deleted. If I missed one please point it out.

PBNA-Boosher
02-05-2005, 12:11 PM
There were some in the ORR as well, if you didn't get those.