PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to buy a PC here...which one??

mortoma
03-30-2008, 12:47 PM
www.cyberpowerpc.com (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com)

Which one would be best at this site?? Please don't try and refer me to other sites like Alienware or similar. My question stricty asks you which one you''d buy hypothetically, if you were to buy one at this site only. Also, please don't make suggestions that I should build my own. I have built many PC, mostly for other people. I simply want one quickly and don't feel like building any more. Also the higher price is not a problem for me.

Pirschjaeger
03-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Gamer Infinity XLC

I'm no expert, but it looks like it wouldn't need an upgrade for a long time.

Isn't it cheaper to build your own?

Fritz

Woof603
03-30-2008, 01:44 PM
CyberPower? Have you read the very negative reviews on Eopinions.com (2007 and earlier reviews) and Resellerratings.com (2008 reviews)?
I don't want to burst your bubble but it's Scary Stuff.

Rjel
03-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
Gamer Infinity XLC

Fritz

Having built my last three systems, I don't really think it's any cheaper. You just have the ability to pick and choose components. Plus it's enjoyable to do.

mortoma
03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Price between DIY and buying pre-built is not a problem for me. Right now I'm in a hurry and if I built my own I would go for a long time with no game play. I don't care if I pay $300.00 more for a system because I bought it from a place like this rather than build it myself.

And the fact that I have built so many systems and that it's no big deal or challenge to me anymore is also a factor. I already know I can build a system in my sleep so the thrill is not there anymore.

Pirschjaeger
03-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
I already know I can build a system in my sleep so the thrill is not there anymore.

Mort, there are better things to do in bed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

But just some advice, if you haven't already, I'd recommend starting the same thread in Community Help. In my experience, you'll get more advice faster since many of the pc experts hang out there.

Fritz

mortoma
03-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Woof603:
CyberPower? Have you read the very negative reviews on Eopinions.com (2007 and earlier reviews) and Resellerratings.com (2008 reviews)?
I don't want to burst your bubble but it's Scary Stuff. And you actually believe what you read in those reviews?? They can be salted with negative and fabricated lies from their competitors. I have no doubt that Cyberpower does reviews against Alienware and visa-versa. The fact that there is no way to know if they are legit reviews or just forgeries is a problem on the internet so I take those types of things with a grain of salt.

With the total anonymity and unverifibility of the internet there is good reason to judge such "reviews" as worthless. They could be and probably are phonies. At least most of them. There could be some real ones.

All I know is that if I worked for Alienware, I'd flood the internet with negative reviews of all the competitors. And since the gaming PC market is dying a slow death, well that makes it all the worse. It's a super competitive business.

mortoma
03-30-2008, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
I already know I can build a system in my sleep so the thrill is not there anymore.

Mort, there are better things to do in bed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

But just some advice, if you haven't already, I'd recommend starting the same thread in Community Help. In my experience, you'll get more advice faster since many of the pc experts hang out there.

Fritz </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

mortoma
03-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh and I did just go to Resellerratings.com and it has some great reviews for cyberpower. But of course they could be done by people who work for them!!! But even if they have lousy tech support, I would not care because I am my own tech support anyway. And even the few times in the last ten years I have resorted to calling tech support, I ended up giving up and fixing the problem myself!! And I learned a lot in the process.

mortoma
03-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Rjel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
Gamer Infinity XLC

Fritz

Having built my last three systems, I don't really think it's any cheaper. You just have the ability to pick and choose components. Plus it's enjoyable to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You have a huge variety to pick and chosse with Cyberpower, almost as good as DIY..........

mortoma
03-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Gamer Infinity XLC

Fritz Oh and thanks for the recommendation, that's what I am hoping for. Instead of all this Cyberpower bashing stuff.

I'm going to buy from them and that's that. So I hope for more people to give me the feedback I'm asking for. If they have the time to do it.

Woof603
03-30-2008, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mortoma:

Oh and thanks for the recommendation, that's what I am hoping for. Instead of all this Cyberpower bashing stuff.
I'm going to buy from them and that's that. QUOTE]

Mortoma, I couldn't care less what you buy. Cyberpower was only a name to me until your post. Curiosity made me follow the link to their website and their seemingly low prices prompted my Google search for reviews.
I was not "bashing" Cyberpower, merely trying to point out something of which you may not have been aware.

mortoma
03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Ok thanks then, since you investigated a little on my behalf. But I went and read some reviews anyway and they seem like they are not too bad. Like I said, if tech support is the problem then it wouldn't matter to me since I can tech a PC pretty good anyway.

Woof603
03-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Okey doke. Thanks.

Worf101
03-30-2008, 08:13 PM
My second PC was a Cyberpower, long time ago. We're talking 486 long ago LOL. I found them to be a "decent" 3rd tier manu, after the boutiques like Alien, and the mains like Dell and Gateway. They've been known to do the "bait and switch" wherein the parts you ordered, usually "name brand stuff" winds up being second tier stuff. You have to watch em and the tech support is not that great.

Da Worfster

mortoma
03-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Worf101:
My second PC was a Cyberpower, long time ago. We're talking 486 long ago LOL. I found them to be a "decent" 3rd tier manu, after the boutiques like Alien, and the mains like Dell and Gateway. They've been known to do the "bait and switch" wherein the parts you ordered, usually "name brand stuff" winds up being second tier stuff. You have to watch em and the tech support is not that great.

Da Worfster I am thinking if they did that bait and switch stuff they probably have stopped it of late because I'd see reviews about it. They can get in big trouble for that because it's deceptive and false advertising.

And as I have pointe out, don't care about their tech support as I'm my own tech support. But if something was bad I hope they honor it and exchange it. For me it's customer support that would be more important. Their warranty/guarantee seems to be ok if they honor it.

Worf101
03-31-2008, 05:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:

Da Worfster I am thinking if they did that bait and switch stuff they probably have stopped it of late because I'd see reviews about it. They can get in big trouble for that because it's deceptive and false advertising.

And as I have pointe out, don't care about their tech support as I'm my own tech support. But if something was bad I hope they honor it and exchange it. For me it's customer support that would be more important. Their warranty/guarantee seems to be ok if they honor it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One thing in their favor, in that hundreds of "mom and pop" computer builders have come and gone and they're still here speaks volumes. They'd a been run out of town if they'd kept up with their old shennanigans, but they've outlived so many competitors it must be for a reason. You could do worse.

Da Worfster

Airmail109
03-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Building PC's is easy, those Cyberpower pc's are horrendously overpriced.

I get all my stuff from Overclockers Uk, always been good. I built a system that would cost you 1100 from Cyberpower for 700. Go figure lol

AFJ_rsm
03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
My last 2 systems have been Cyberpower, and right now I'm looking at building my own.

The reason I've ordered whole PC's in the past is that it simply is easier to import into my country a whole single package (ie, the whole CPU already configured), than bring in the parts separately to build it myself.

This time however I want to build it, not only because I want to have that experience (looks pretty damn fun and interesting) but because my tastes have changed and now I want to hand pick every component.

My feedback on cyberpower:
My oldest PC is almost 8 years old. It still has every component cyperpower put in day 1, except for the PSU which got fried in a thunderstorm. Everything else is 100% stock and still works. A special note about it: the day it arrived, it wouldn't boot up. After popping the hood open, I noticed the vid card was not securely popped into the AGP slot. Just push it in, fasten the screw a bit more, and voila. That's as much trouble as I've had with Cyberpower.

My current PC (4 years old) is also cyberpower. Everything stock on it. The brands they pick for their "major brand" options could be awesome, or unknown. I picked a Gf6800GT for it, powered by a "major brand" and I ended up getting an EVGA, which is AWESOME. I've abused this little mofo like crazy in some substandard conditions and it has held up like a champ.
On the other hand, the "major brand" they picked for my RAM is GEIL el cheapo-est RAM. However it hasn't given my any problems at all either.

Oh, also the PSU on this PC fried. I had to swap it over. Mind you, for both of those PC's I always picked the cheapest PSU.

DrHerb
03-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, if you wanna re-morgage your house, you Could go for a Falcon Northwest Mach V http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Bearcat99
03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
I'd build my own. I will never buy a pre built PC again.

mortoma
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:

I get all my stuff from Overclockers Uk, always been good. I built a system that would cost you 1100 from Cyberpower for 700. Go figure lol I know all that Aimail. You didn't read through my posts. I said I didn't care about the overprice stuff and also that I have built so many PCs that it's no big deal. There is one huge advantage to buying pre-built for me right now. It's tons faster!!! If I built one it would take me a few months picking up one thing here or there, then something else later. I have no gaming rig right now and I miss playing this game and others so I am buying one already made this time come hell, or high water.

I just don't have the time to shop around and wait for dozens of components to come in the mail and such. Besides, the rig I am buying
will only be about 15% more expensive than building myself. According to my calculations.

mortoma
03-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I'd build my own. I will never buy a pre built PC again. Takes too long, I have been building a PCs since 1994 and this time I will have to go pre-built because my old computer is simply not going to run ever again. I'd have to put too much spendy stuff into it. Since I want to play this sim again and a few other games, I am going this route because it's tons faster. I am bored without my games and building would take me a couple or three months to get everything purchased separately and then finally build it and tweak it. Cyberpower is going to do all that for me.

mortoma
03-31-2008, 08:00 PM
I done made my decision to buy pre-built. Wish me luck!! Here goes..............

Rjel
03-31-2008, 08:48 PM
I just don't have the time to shop around and wait for dozens of components to come in the mail

Criminy, do you build them transistor by transistor? My systems don't have a dozen components in them, much less dozens.

mortoma
04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Rjel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
I just don't have the time to shop around and wait for dozens of components to come in the mail

Criminy, do you build them transistor by transistor? My systems don't have a dozen components in them, much less dozens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The way I have traditional done it, I'd buy the case, then maybe the PS, then CPU, so on, so forth. It might take me a month just to get ready to buy and put in the CPU! Then would come the video card and then the sound card and peripherals. And I'd take a lot of time researching, all the while I'd have a PC that I could play on.

I have no rig to play on now so my traditional way would suck, would take too long and I'd be gameless for a while. So instead I'd have to buy everything all in a day or two to make it faster and then "SLAM" it all together in a day or two. This would take away the long research and the ability to take my sweet time building it. Thus taking away all advantage of doing it "my way". if I can't do it my way, I'd rather someone else build it.

Besides, buying from Cyberpower or similar places is not so bad if you consider that they are building it from the same type of components you'd likely buy yourself anyway.
And I was pleasantly surprised by the large choices of CPUs, power supplies, mobos, sound cards and really everything. If I were to build my own rig, I'd likely build it from the same exact stuff that I'm buying from these guys anyway!! Same mobo, processor, the works.

Airmail109
04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:

I get all my stuff from Overclockers Uk, always been good. I built a system that would cost you 1100 from Cyberpower for 700. Go figure lol I know all that Aimail. You didn't read through my posts. I said I didn't care about the overprice stuff and also that I have built so many PCs that it's no big deal. There is one huge advantage to buying pre-built for me right now. It's tons faster!!! If I built one it would take me a few months picking up one thing here or there, then something else later. I have no gaming rig right now and I miss playing this game and others so I am buying one already made this time come hell, or high water.

I just don't have the time to shop around and wait for dozens of components to come in the mail and such. Besides, the rig I am buying
will only be about 15% more expensive than building myself. According to my calculations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Months? I did my research. I ordered all my parts from one shop and slapped them together in a day.

mortoma
04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:

will only be about 15% more expensive than building myself. According to my calculations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Months? I did my research. I ordered all my parts from one shop and slapped them together in a day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't like to do it that way. And I for sure would not get everything from one shop. That's just me, I would always have a really decent rig to play on all the whils so I could take my sweet time. I truly loved it. And by the way, I could put together a rig in 10 minutes, but I just like to take my time doing that too. It's like putting together a plastic model kit for me. No rush!!!

mortoma
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh, I bet I have built more rigs than most here too. Back in the late nineties I got quite a reputation at the factory I worked at. People would all the time ask me to build one for them or ask me to help them build one to teach them how easy it was. Just those alone were 7 rigs I can think of. Have built 4 for myself and two for brothers. That is 13 rigs and that was before 2004!!