PDA

View Full Version : Self inflicted bomber gunner damage & other stuff

AviationArtist
06-17-2005, 06:47 AM
~S~ all!

I'm now on 401m (at last!). I installed 401 over 304 BTW incase you wonder while reading the stuff below.
Has any else checked out the damage you can give to your own aircraft by manning the gunner positions on the multi-crew aircraft?

I set up a test using the QMB on, everything on realistic except unlimited ammo & external views. This is a brief run-down of what I found:

IL-2M late series - cannot give yourself damage despite the fact you can hear the bullet strikes, but all other Il-2 types you can

SBD-3 & 5 - slice the tailfin & rudder off in less than 2 seconds, with the aircraft going out of control

G4M11 Betty - cannot give yourself damage, but again hear the bullet strikes

A20G - can plaster yourself with bullet holes, but nothing fatal

B25J - demolish the tail rapidly using the top turret. Side guns just seem to make holes but nothing fatal

He111H6 - side guns & top turret do damage, and take a lot to tear anything off, but the belly gunner can slice off the tailplane & elevators in a matter of seconds

Ju87 Stuka series - the B2 doesn't get damaged (still hear the bullet strikes), but the D3/5 and G1 you can slice your own rear fuselage off with continuous hits

D3A1 Val - destroy the rudder & tail fin in a split second, but it continues to fly.

Can something be done to even this up?

(I have tracks for all the above)

Also, in other parts....
Back in 3x, with the most aircraft, I could raise the tail early in takeoff to help see where I was going, but now, it just keeps nosing all the way over and ends in a prop strike (trim set to neutral, which is how I've always had it on takeoff, right back to the original IL-2 days, and it's never given me any problems). I also agree with the crazy yaw oscillations mentioned elsewhere in the forum....it just seems to be a tremendous leap from what we had in 3x.
The rudder seems to be less effective in the takeoff while trying to keep the nose straight down the runway, and any rudder movement when released makes the nose draw circles around the sky ahead of me.

Also, I read a post about AI spiralling in after a few hits. Have seen the same when I fly, and on different types - bombers & fighters. It looks like there is barely a bullet hole in the aircraft, and the crew are still functioning, but they still go into the ground - and after they crash, I get the "I'm hit" radio call.
I downed 3 I-153's in a offline campaign mission last night, each one with a 0.5 - 1 sec snapshot with MG set to 250m with a Bf109F2. Each time, there was no visible damage to the enemy, the pilot was still active, and the enemy went down in a right hand turn.
I have no track of the above, but I was flying on full real except for external views & aircraft icons enabled.

I'm not a dedicated Red or Blue flyer, I enjoy both sides, and all aircraft, both offline and online, I'm just letting you know what I've found so far http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers!

AviationArtist
06-17-2005, 06:47 AM
~S~ all!

I'm now on 401m (at last!). I installed 401 over 304 BTW incase you wonder while reading the stuff below.
Has any else checked out the damage you can give to your own aircraft by manning the gunner positions on the multi-crew aircraft?

I set up a test using the QMB on, everything on realistic except unlimited ammo & external views. This is a brief run-down of what I found:

IL-2M late series - cannot give yourself damage despite the fact you can hear the bullet strikes, but all other Il-2 types you can

SBD-3 & 5 - slice the tailfin & rudder off in less than 2 seconds, with the aircraft going out of control

G4M11 Betty - cannot give yourself damage, but again hear the bullet strikes

A20G - can plaster yourself with bullet holes, but nothing fatal

B25J - demolish the tail rapidly using the top turret. Side guns just seem to make holes but nothing fatal

He111H6 - side guns & top turret do damage, and take a lot to tear anything off, but the belly gunner can slice off the tailplane & elevators in a matter of seconds

Ju87 Stuka series - the B2 doesn't get damaged (still hear the bullet strikes), but the D3/5 and G1 you can slice your own rear fuselage off with continuous hits

D3A1 Val - destroy the rudder & tail fin in a split second, but it continues to fly.

Can something be done to even this up?

(I have tracks for all the above)

Also, in other parts....
Back in 3x, with the most aircraft, I could raise the tail early in takeoff to help see where I was going, but now, it just keeps nosing all the way over and ends in a prop strike (trim set to neutral, which is how I've always had it on takeoff, right back to the original IL-2 days, and it's never given me any problems). I also agree with the crazy yaw oscillations mentioned elsewhere in the forum....it just seems to be a tremendous leap from what we had in 3x.
The rudder seems to be less effective in the takeoff while trying to keep the nose straight down the runway, and any rudder movement when released makes the nose draw circles around the sky ahead of me.

Also, I read a post about AI spiralling in after a few hits. Have seen the same when I fly, and on different types - bombers & fighters. It looks like there is barely a bullet hole in the aircraft, and the crew are still functioning, but they still go into the ground - and after they crash, I get the "I'm hit" radio call.
I downed 3 I-153's in a offline campaign mission last night, each one with a 0.5 - 1 sec snapshot with MG set to 250m with a Bf109F2. Each time, there was no visible damage to the enemy, the pilot was still active, and the enemy went down in a right hand turn.
I have no track of the above, but I was flying on full real except for external views & aircraft icons enabled.

I'm not a dedicated Red or Blue flyer, I enjoy both sides, and all aircraft, both offline and online, I'm just letting you know what I've found so far http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers!