PDA

View Full Version : The newest flight sim is the worst of all!

TheRealWulfmann
03-04-2005, 10:58 AM
For those that like to debate the CFS3 vs IL-2 comparison there is a new CFS to gang up on. The Medal of Honor Pacific Assault.
You thought that was a first person ground shooter€s game? Well it is but, after you have personally destroyed more Japanese planes than were actually lost at Pearl Harbor (many with a Thompson 45 cal SMG), you kill a few hundred more men on the ground before getting a ride as a gunner in a Dauntless. As a gunner you shoot down 8 to 10 more Zeros before the pilot bails out. But, heck, any private in the marines can pick up how to fly an airplane, right? So you climb over the top of the canopy and hop into the cockpit. There, with your mouse as a controller (OMG that is so stupid!!) you now fly to a enemy island and destroy a com tower, 3 Bettys on the ground, 2 Zeke float planes and a couple LCIs in a lagoon before sinking a destroyer with you guns and now bombs appear and a torpedo and you cripple an aircraft carrier destroying at least another 9 zeros an the deck with your 2 30 cal guns (talk about unlimited ammo!!! LOL) and shoot down a few more Zeros before making a carrier landing.
All this with a mouse.
Without sounding arrogant, I should be a fair sim pilot and I found this beyond reasonable to do and must wonder how non sim flyers can have a clue. Although your speed does not change in a vertical dive or climbing straight up or in a turn.
I will say the combat in the jungle in this game is great fun with nice models and all in all I do like what they have done. But, since many are on eBay with, €œplayed once and now for sale€ I must assume it is because they could not advance past this without achieving goals Erich Hartmann would have been unable to fathom.
If they had stuck with the rear gunner thing it would have been fun but flying an aircraft with just a mouse in combat defies anything we compare between IL-2 and CFS3.
It took me about 5-6 tries before completing all required to advance and that was on easy.
They should offer a patch to eliminate this ridiculous part as I believe they cheapened the game and made it too frustrating for the typical first person shooter.
Sure makes one appreciate the €œother€ sim no matter which cup of tea one drinks from; CFS3 or IL-2.
TR Wulfmann

CorsairDill
03-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Keep in mind that the MoH series has never been touted as being a historic, or historically accurate game. It's made more to give the player an action-packed cinematic experience. And for that, you cannot fault the game.

But if you're looking for a realistic PTO combat experience, you're better off looking elsewhere.

Personally, I hate the MoH games.

Obi_Kwiet
03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
EA thinks it has to make every single game a novelty for anyone to buy it. So each time it get's stupider and stupider. I bet the flying part looked pretty awful on the Q3 engine too. I don't like the whole MOH/COD series. There's so much "Barns, get on that 88 and take out a whole panzer division" stuff that it just feels stupid.

fordfan25
03-04-2005, 11:30 AM
its not ment to be a "sim". its just a run and gun doom in ww2 setting. just ment for simple pick up and play action shootm up. like a action movie. sure we know 1 guy named Rambo cant kill 100s of men with a knife but its fun to watch.

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-04-2005, 11:40 AM
I feel I need to speak up for this game series. In my opinion, it is very immersive, with lots of good gameplay. I haven't played the Pacific version of the game but, I allready read that it was awfull.

All the previous games and its expansions have given me a great deal of pleasure and apart from the B-17's in COD, it never appeared too arcadish to me.

reverendkrv1972
03-04-2005, 12:16 PM
of all the MOH series,Allied Assault is the best,i've been playing it since it started in a clan,great fun online,i only completed the SP when i had no internet connection after moving house,found that very good.
COD never really grabbed me,played it online a few times,best things about the moh 'add-ons' & cod are the single-bolt rifles,taking out the sprayers with a 'inferior' weapon is gratifying.

I dont really know why i left cfs2 & il2 to play mohaa,but i'm back in the air now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

pacific assault plays rubbish,is not too great online..and im at pearl harbour on SP,might finish it,doubt it though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TheRealWulfmann
03-04-2005, 12:26 PM
While the airport and Pearl scenes and the stupid plane ride are not to my liking, the graphics are very good in the ground stuff and the jungle combat, while not really real, is also very good fun and the part I like.
I enjoyed the first 3 (Bought them at a garage sale for $5.00 so hurrah!!) and still laugh at the constant German talking at you so you are not caught off guard, LOL. Never liked the mounting a tank and doing more damage than the US army did in a week, but it is not a simulation, just a game for fun.
My point was, the flying part was beyond the tolerable stupid things in the previous ones but I do like many of the new things in this one and find it fun as a diversion from what we all like best.
TR Wulfmann

TheRealWulfmann
03-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I was looking at CODUO and BF42 and am I right in assuming they cannot be played on Win 2000? They showed Win98 and XP as what is required to run.
TR Wulfmann

pacettid
03-04-2005, 12:28 PM
If you want a decent, simulation based WWII FPS, for my money you need to play Red Orchestra. This is a free, total conversion mod for UT 2004, and was recognized for excellence by PC Gamer magazine. You can read all about it here Red Orchestra (http://www.redorchestra.clanservers.com/).

I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the WWII FPS genre.

SimHQ also has a superb review available here (http://www.simhq.com/_land/fps_012a.html)

fordfan25
03-04-2005, 12:35 PM
thay have a new one comeing out soon that is suposed to be a bit more life like. called brothers in arms. you are suposed to be able to give orders to your squad mtes and use real cover fire tactics or something like that.

GT182
03-04-2005, 12:36 PM
LOL The Bomber Command B17 in CoDUA is big on the arcade side of things. Graphics aren't all that bad but the unlimted ammo bit stinks.

For a ground-pounder to jump in and shoot 40 or so 109s out of the air in one mission really breaks me up. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

The only series that was hard and more realistic I think was Deadly Dozen and DD Pacific. I couldn't even get past the first mission. You had to be good to get anywhere in either of them. The AI was very very smart.... maybe too smart.

Drunken_Moose
03-04-2005, 12:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
"Barns, get on that 88 and take out a whole panzer division" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif Sooo true LOL

TheRealWulfmann
03-04-2005, 01:23 PM
What, just one Panzer division?

Girly men!!!

Why when I was your age we took out three before we were allowed breakfast!

LMAO!!

I love the way you are being hit by 8MM Mauser rounds and hearing the thud over and over only to pick up a canteen and be fine!

Angriff!!!!

Hello!!!

Alla Mann Feuer!!!

Wulfmann

zaelu
03-04-2005, 03:01 PM
In MoH Pacific Assault I liked the way that the rear turret of the dauntless was rising up.This not modeled in Il2-AEP-PF. But that was the mission when I quit the game and unistalled it.

mortoma
03-04-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm surprised it comes as a PC game, you'd think such an arcadish and childish sounding game would be left solely for the console crowd.

Oilburner_TAW
03-04-2005, 05:09 PM
did you say it had torpedoes??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TheRealWulfmann
03-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Yes it has a torpedo and it makes a decent hole in the carrier but it is not like dropping a torpedo in a flight sim.
I believe most that uninstalled this and placed it on eBay did it because the plane was ridiculous.

Except for the manning the MGs at Pearl and Henderson field and the plane thing the rest is done pretty well, IMO. The graphics are good but it seems like to run this at highest levels would take a top rated 64Bit CPU with 2GB DDR 400RAM and a 256 VC on PCIE.

I do think it should take longer than a couple evenings to finish the whole game!!!! The effects were decent and the graphics much better than the old ETO one but in some ways it was easier to run the gauntlet, IMO. I thought the blood draining level requiring you stop to apply the bandage was a good idea and the medic helping both causing you to drop your weapon was also good.
Once I died with a Japanese looking down on me seemingly calling me a big nosed, big eared, round eyed, Yankee dog, but my Japanese is not too good so don't quote me. He then stepped on my face with the heal of his boot and I went to black. Another time as I lay there talking to God a Japanese sweared at me then stuck me with a bayonet. I thought they were both really cool. I LMAO!!
The bad part about applying a bandage is you must not do it when they are making a bayonet charge!!!
It seems a shame that they added the stupid air stuff both in the plane and manning the heavy MG at Pearl and at Guadalcanal and not spent that time on another island mission.
I hope they take this new graphics level and make another ETO one. It would also be neat to play a German and do a rear guard retreat thing as a sniper but only in addition to the liberating Yank.
I try and find a sniper rifle when ever I can as that is my other main hobby, target shooting in 30 caliber sniper type rifles and I usually can kill more enemies with a bolt scoped rifle than a SMG.
Fun to do something a little different but only for brief spurts of time.
TR Wulfmann

noshens
03-04-2005, 10:09 PM
I am playing in the highest difficulty level with crosshair and hud off. I am exactly up to the point where the op described. From the first try (of course wiht lots of save/reloading) I got to the point where I had to sink the carrier. Too bad I only got 50hp left and get shot down by the time I get there so'll probably have to restart teh entire mission.

So far I've killed around 800 enemy units. The game is quite challenging when playing full realism, lots of save/reloading lol.

deathhamster
03-05-2005, 07:12 AM
There seems to be a myth amongst fps players that any sort of realism in a game is a bad thing. I played CoD and the addon pack for it and found it to be much better than the MoH series of games and yet still quite ridiculus as an infantry war sim. Anyone who has played call of duty will remember the pegasus bridge mission were you and ten guys fend off what appears to be an entire panzer division complete with 6 tiger tanks, you being armed with 1 88mm gun and a couple of panzerfausts. They used a historical base to start from but thats as far as it goes.

I would advise anyone interested in ww2 to read Pegasus bridge by Stephen Ambrose (the guy who wrote band of brothers) as this will give you the real historical perspective on the events around pegasus bridge on D-day and you will realise just how farcical the game is. In reality a reinforced company of 180 men attacked the bridge in 6 gliders. on landing 1 glider had gone off course and was miles away and the remaining 5 had hit bang on target. there were no more than a couple of german defenders who were quickly overwhelmed. The germans did attempt a counter attack during the night but there were no tigers involved and only a couple of MK4s who gave it up after one had been taken out.

If they had tried to recreate this mission in its authentic form it would still make a great game except you wouldn't be some kind of super soldier taking out tanks with your bare hands. it would also make it better if weapons are realistically modelled. people complain about over modelling weapons on this forum but imagine being able to take out a tiger from 200m head on with a panzerfaust. In reality the panzer faust had a range of 50m at best and could still only be expected to take out a tank from the side or rear only head on if your were very lucky

deathhamster
03-05-2005, 07:21 AM
hopefully this will all be sorted out by brothers in arms (sounds like band of brothers rip off to me)

the reason MoH pacific assault had levels flying aircraft was because CoD UO had the bomber mission, which i thought was quite good except the 109s couldn't hit a barn door, at least you were an RAF guy not some ground pounder who found he could fly with no lessons.

The best ground pounder game i have played has to be Operation flashpoint. there are no health packs scattered around, you take a bullet in the legs and you have to crawl along to a medic, and best of all tanks are th fear inspiring monsters of war they should be.

Jester_159th
03-05-2005, 07:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deathhamster:
hopefully this will all be sorted out by brothers in arms (sounds like band of brothers rip off to me)

the reason MoH pacific assault had levels flying aircraft was because CoD UO had the bomber mission, which i thought was quite good except the 109s couldn't hit a barn door, at least you were an RAF guy not some ground pounder who found he could fly with no lessons.

The best ground pounder game i have played has to be Operation flashpoint. there are no health packs scattered around, you take a bullet in the legs and you have to crawl along to a medic, and best of all tanks are th fear inspiring monsters of war they should be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't Operation Flashpoint 2 due out sometime soon?

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-05-2005, 04:08 PM
OFP, that's my favorite infantry sim too. altough it sometimes amazed how the AI was able to hit you, trough at least two bushes, between a wooden fence, throught a house (Back and front door open). I liked the part that when you died, you where able to see who killed you so, you could count that in when you reloaded the mission.