PDA

View Full Version : A-20 Bombing Question

e2michaelb
11-20-2004, 08:45 PM
How do you aim bombs from an A-20? There apparently is no bombardier station; attempts to toggle a/the bombsight have failed using the "S" key were unsuccessful. There appears to be a fold-down sight over the windscreen header. Is that the bombsight? If so how is it brought into play? When I toggled the bomb release, I see the bombs leave the plane (in the external view) but nothing else. Help!

p1ngu666
11-20-2004, 08:47 PM
the a20 is a solid nose plane, think of it as a heavy jabo...

there where a20 (b20?) with a bombadier station, just not ingame

e2michaelb
11-20-2004, 09:12 PM
'sorry to be a newbie PITA, but (1)what is a "Jabo"? and (2)how do I aim bombs in an A-20?

-HH- Beebop
11-20-2004, 09:16 PM
e2michaelb;

Jabo=Ground pounder, Ground support aircraft, Any plane that carrys bombs to attack ground targets.
Bombing w/A20....aim the plane as though it were a fighter carrying bombs. Cuz that's was it is.

Zyzbot
11-20-2004, 09:17 PM
It is a German term:

Jagdbomber (Jabo) :fighter-bomber

e2michaelb
11-20-2004, 09:26 PM
-HH-BeBop:

Thanks for the advice. However, I would think that bombs exiting through the bomb bay doors could hit the leading edge of the bomb bay when you are in a flat dive. I will give it a try anyway.

xanty
11-21-2004, 04:44 AM
Hi: there is several ways to bomb on the A20 or similar "jabo" planes:

1. Dive from 1500 mts on a shallow dive (15-45 degrees angle) aiming with the sight at the target (sometimes a bit higher0, then release the bombs at 500-300 mts then pull up hard and fast! The bombs should follow ur dive trajectorie and hit the target.

2. Fly level strraight at around 700 mts alt (minumum) and release the bombs just when the view of the target goes under ur nose/gun-sight. The bombs should fall curved and hit the target.

3. Set bomb delay at 2 secs and do diving low and fast, then release the bombs when ur close to the target. Be carefull not to be too close. Flak will be a killer too.

4. use para-frags and make a 200 mts pass over target... :-)

Good luck, practice and happy bombing!!!

PS: Glaced-nosed A20s ate being developed, and will hopefully see the day of light some time in the future. these may include the A20B/C and DB-7b, which are lighter aremed and earlier versions of the mighty "G".