PDA

View Full Version : Computer in for system optimization - any suggestions on things to check?

sledgehammer2
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I dropped my computer off at a local shop that I have heard good things about. The guys that work there are pretty up on gaming systems from what I hear, and I am really needing to get my system looked at since it has been awhile since some things have been done to it. I have run defrags on it and updated drivers (in the past). I have had a lot of trouble with stuttering and choppy gameplay and my hope is that they can help me with that.

One thing I want them to do is max my ram out - i have 1024 mb. I will also ask them to update my ATI card drivers. What should I have them do or check out other than what they normally do, considering that my goal is to improve my IL2 performance?

My system is one I had built about 5 yrs ago for this sim, at times it has run it OK but I have had my share of issues with stuttering and choppiness etc. I am trying to get back into this afte being away from it for awhile.

I just downloaded the 409m patch. I appreciate any help; they will probably call me tomorrow or whenever they are going to start on it.
Thanks,

hammer2

Ba5tard5word
12-10-2009, 10:42 PM
1GB of RAM? Jeez, I have 6...

RAM helps I guess but a powerful cpu and gpu go a long way towards making Il-2 run smoothly at max settings.

julian265
12-10-2009, 10:53 PM
what processor and graphics card are in it?

WhiteSnake_76
12-11-2009, 10:30 AM
I would have them fit a Pair of 1GB Modules in there, so a 2GB Dual Channel kit would be best, since the Modules work bwest together if there an exact match.

That should help a lot already

dglasal
12-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Sledge, I just built a system recently. My computer was over 6 years old and I determined that any work on it was not economical due primarily to the cost of parts that would work well with it and the low cost of newer technology. If your system is worn and money is limited, you may want to look at a new system in the $500 range. I believe it will meet your expectations and last several years beyond anything you can do to sustain your current system. Just a thought.

MAXMHZ1959
12-12-2009, 02:31 AM
32 bit OS -> 4 GB dual channel RAM, 64 bit OS -> 4+ GB dual channel RAM (depends on what MoBo will support). Dual SATA drive, new OS installation including drivers. Depending on age of your computer an upgrade kit (MoBo+CPU+RAM and a Windows 7 OEM version or even a new system may be a lot cheaper and better.