PDA

View Full Version : An Easy 20k - Screenshots



GratedLeeman
09-10-2011, 02:03 AM
December 9th, 1941

I have just assumed command of the USS S-18, based at Cavite Naval Base, Manila Bay, Luzon.
My first mission strikes me as ridiculous, to say the least of it. Command wants an update on enemy carriers in Manila Bay.
Oh well, it's their fuel!
The objective is at the far end of the bay, so off I go.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/GratedLeeman/SH4Img2011-09-10_075630_122.jpg

However, as I draw closer...

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/GratedLeeman/SH4Img2011-09-10_075927_816.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/GratedLeeman/SH4Img2011-09-10_075945_533.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Well I'll be...

Of course, once I'd taken the pictures I sank them. After all, we were at war now.

Wolferz
09-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Easy pickings. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

PS:
FYI... Screenshots look much better if you strip out the gauges by tapping the NumPad DEL key. It's a toggle. So hit it again to get the gauges back. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WernherVonTrapp
09-10-2011, 06:18 AM
That's funny.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif A photo recon mission that's what, 10nm from your Home Port? I've started careers out of Cavite too but have never been so lucky in my assignments. I did, however, locate and sink an escorted, large mine layer near the San Bernardino Strait at the beginning of my current career. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

GratedLeeman
09-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Wolferz:
Easy pickings. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

PS:
FYI... Screenshots look much better if you strip out the gauges by tapping the NumPad DEL key. It's a toggle. So hit it again to get the gauges back. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I didn't bother removing the gauges because I wasn't trying to be artsy with the shots, but thanks for the tip anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MWolfe1963
09-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by WernherVonTrapp:
That's funny.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif A photo recon mission that's what, 10nm from your Home Port? I've started careers out of Cavite too but have never been so lucky in my assignments. I did, however, locate and sink an escorted, large mine layer near the San Bernardino Strait at the beginning of my current career. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I know that minelayer, did you wait long enough for the large invasion force that came after it, maybe the next day, one of the few mixes of nice warships and merchants in RSRD, including several Chitose carriers.

WernherVonTrapp
09-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by MWolfe1963:
I know that minelayer, did you wait long enough for the large invasion force that came after it, maybe the next day, one of the few mixes of nice warships and merchants in RSRD, including several Chitose carriers. Ohhh, shoot. No, I didn't stick around and completely missed it. I knew I should've checked my references, darn it. I knew that minelayer had to be there for a reason, but I became impatient and went looking elsewhere. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
I did run into a small TF w/the Chitose Seaplane tender in the Luzon Strait but was unable to keep up with it. The TF outran me.

pnwdom
09-10-2011, 08:19 AM
I had a couple easy missions out of Surabaya. One was a photo recon of Surabaya harbor. (Took those pictures from the end of the bar in the Officers Club.)

The other was delivering a combat team... 9 miles down the coast from where we were anchored.

GratedLeeman
09-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by pnwdom:
The other was delivering a combat team... 9 miles down the coast from where we were anchored.

I've had that one too. It's a misuse of resources if you ask me...

MWolfe1963
09-10-2011, 11:42 AM
One thing about stock the traffic and missions are poorly scripted and aren't timed correctly with what side owns the port, so you can see many missions that really make no sense.

The other stupid thing about the carrier recon photo missions is who wouldn't sink the ships.
In reality these ships would be surrounded with nets and other defensive parameters.

I added several almost impossible special missions to RSRD, including photo recons of possible carriers. However, I spawn subnets around the carriers, so even if you get by the elite DD patrols, minefields, mass shore guns, etc...the most you can hope for is a real picture. I also increased the renown.

Still, you may get in, but I set triggers that once you take pictures some assets are spawned to make it hard to get out.

MWolfe1963
09-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by WernherVonTrapp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MWolfe1963:
I know that minelayer, did you wait long enough for the large invasion force that came after it, maybe the next day, one of the few mixes of nice warships and merchants in RSRD, including several Chitose carriers. Ohhh, shoot. No, I didn't stick around and completely missed it. I knew I should've checked my references, darn it. I knew that minelayer had to be there for a reason, but I became impatient and went looking elsewhere. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
I did run into a small TF w/the Chitose Seaplane tender in the Luzon Strait but was unable to keep up with it. The TF outran me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, the minelayer comes first, then a small DD group followed by the TF. I know you've seen this map before of early movements, but notice the Southern Support Group that left Palau to the San Bern...that's the group.

All those showed in this map are in RSRD. You may have to save it and magnify it to get a good look.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/appendix10-2.jpg

Course all these groups are included in RSRD as well, so I'll post both maps for others.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/appendix11-2.jpg

WernherVonTrapp
09-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Actually, I should've known better. I have a number of maps, including some of the ones you posted, that clearly shows the invasion routes.

The example below is obviously smaller, but I have this map in a (I think) 2000 X 900 size:
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/a71dea16.gif

Of course, I'm in early 1943 now and have been playing my current career for about 3 months now. Just p!sses me off that I was too impatient when I should've remembered the invasion routes.

I do appreciate the offer though, MWolfe, I surely do. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

GratedLeeman
09-13-2011, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by MWolfe1963:
The other stupid thing about the carrier recon photo missions is who wouldn't sink the ships.
In reality these ships would be surrounded with nets and other defensive parameters.

My stock version did actually put nets and mines in, which was a surprise because it was the first time I'd encountered the nets.
I was already too familiar with the mines http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif