PDA

View Full Version : On the pilot/bombardier positions

Aeronautico
10-09-2004, 10:11 AM

IV_JG51_Razor
10-09-2004, 10:49 AM
This has been a subject in the UBi forums for YEARS! Oleg has said he can't/won't do it for IL-2FB/AEP/PF period! He has also said that it might be possible for BoB.

PBNA-Boosher
10-09-2004, 01:44 PM
I think it would be better if we made it so that the nose gunners controlled the bombardier's position instead of the pilot. This way the pilot could concentrate on flying while the bombardier adjusted the sight.

Aeronautico
10-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Really? And where was I not to see them? I might remember some discussion, but I don't remember Oleg's reply. Especially the reasons.

p1ngu666
10-10-2004, 02:23 AM
be nice if the level thing actuly kept u level
rather than nosedown by a little. and removing trim delay on he111 and tb3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Aeronautico
10-10-2004, 06:11 AM
162 views, 7 votes (including mine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)...
Well, the avarage-lurker seems not too keen to try and improve things I must say.

Or was it Razor who scared them? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Vortex_uk
10-10-2004, 06:59 AM
Hnagers are too small,the big ones are supposed to be for larger aircraft,but you could hardly fit a 110 in them,as for the Grass camo shelter seem a tad tiny as well,can harly fit most larger single engine aircraft into them.

ZG77_Lignite
10-10-2004, 01:55 PM
It has been discussed/explained a dozen (a hundred?) times. The problem is that control of the aircraft can belong to only 1 'person' (computer). Given the way the game is designed, 2 seperate joystick inputs cannot be deciphered (it is the same reason that gunner positions cannot be controlled by joysticks).

I believe it is less clear why Oleg will not remove aircraft control from the bombardier position, other than the programming dificulty and the reduction in realism.

Philipscdrw
10-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Lignite, Aeronautico only suggests that the Bombardier releases the bombs when closest to the target, not that the bombardier flies or controls the aircraft.

Essentially the bombardier would have a bombsight and control of the bomb release, and maybe a special communications interface with the pilot: "Left a bit..." "Left a bit more..." "Right a smidgen..." "Bombs gone!"

Maybe it is impossible to devolve the bomb release from the pilot. But if gunners can fire their ordnance, a bombardier should be able to as well? But then the pilot could not jettison bombs. But that would be more realistic!

New code would be needed to give a player pilot control of AI bombardier, and player bombardier control of AI pilot. And a quick communications interface would be required for multiplayer flight for the Teamspeak-less.

A good idea, methinks.

Agamemnon22
10-11-2004, 12:44 PM
There's another problem, how does the AI know what you want to bomb?

You could solve that one by always using the mission objective (unless there are several, then you use the closest or something).

It's a little limited but most of the time that's what you're bombing anyway.

I thought about this for a bit and it seems doable, unless there are caveats in the way IL2 AI is programmed that I don't know about. It should be fairly easy to calculate the current flight vector, compare with vector to target, decide "left" or "right". It could automatically adjust airspeed and altitude, since most planes had those readouts in front of the navigator anyway. Drop timing is a fairly straightforward formula as well, a function of airpspeed and altitude.

Hope Oleg has time for it.

Philipscdrw
10-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Maybe you could put a marker on the in-flight map where you want the bombs to land. If it was something like a line of trucks, the AI would select whichever target is closest to the bomb marker.

I wouldn't like AI to just be an auto-bomb-dropping-computer. Some variation and inaccuracy should be included, like rounding the altitude and airspeed to the nearest 250m and 25km/hr. Formulaic is no fun!

Smeglor
10-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Actually I'm more interested in having the non-pilot player not just be bombardier, but also flight engineer/copilot. By this I mean they could control flaps, engine settings, and other things, so the pilot can concentrate on stick, rudder, and throttle. Operating a multi-engine bomber, especially with 4 engines, is simply too much management for a single person to do effectively. I don't see how this would be a difficult programming task, just have the co-pilot client send "requests" to the pilot's client, and the actual changes are made there. So really there's one pilot player whose client is actually in control of the aircraft, but the second co-pilot client can send commands to be issued there (i.e. "flaps up", "gear down", "engine 1 mixture 80%").