PDA

View Full Version : Another version to IL2??

AStotzer
01-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Anybody ever heard of a game called 'Combat over Europe'? I was just surfing around the internet and came upon this website. But the game looks like IL2 to me! Why would they rename it and sell the same thing?

http://www.gmxmedia.net/coe/screens/

tsisqua
01-22-2005, 12:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AStotzer:
Anybody ever heard of a game called 'Combat over Europe'? I was just surfing around the internet and came upon this website. But the game looks like IL2 to me! Why would they rename it and sell the same thing?

http://www.gmxmedia.net/coe/screens/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi.

That is an addon to IL2 which contains skins, and missions . . . probably some cool track files as well. Not a different version of the game.

Tsisqua

AStotzer
01-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Then this must be an Addon to CFS3?

http://www.gmxmedia.net/dday/screens

joeap
01-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Yup the radar screen is a dead giveaway. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I have heard it is is a good addon though.

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-25-2005, 01:29 AM
Well, unless they seriously change the way of physics modelling, all CFS products feel 'plastic'. It is more like flying numbers opposed to the feeling of real aircraft. At M$ they just wondered: "Hey, this aircraft won the war so, it should be faster and more agile then the one who didn't"

I had CFS3 on loan for a week from a friend. I unistalled it after I did a complete pirouette on the runway with the P-47. Not just taxiing in circles, a real pirroute!!!

CFS has a bit more eyecandy then the Il-2 series altough the water is much better with PF. and of course the sounds of CFS are alot more realistic and convincing. I hope that with BoB, Maddox will also introduce the same sounds, wherever possible. (it is probably a bit hard taking samples of old BMW radials and stuff)

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Also, the CFS cockpits are a yoke! it made me alsmost puke, after being used to the Il-2 cockpits. However, the latest CFS add-on aircraft seem to have decent cockpits, almost to maddox games standards.

Aero_Shodanjo
01-25-2005, 07:39 AM
A few months back I reinstalled CFS3 after I tweaked my PC.

It was just OK - graphic wise, but speaking about Flight Modelling of the aircrafts, I admit I feel that it's so "arcadish" compared to IL2. Furthermore, the FM and DM is user customizeable that I managed to turn the Tempest into an invincible machine without even turning the invincibility option on.

It's ok, i guess, whenever I'm bored and then just want to have fun, but then also, it'll quickly gets boring afterward.

Then I noticed another huge difference between those sims: The AI. While the AI in IL-2 is still debatable to some degree for some people, the AI in CFS 3 was a big joke.

All in all, for AI skills and tactics, I choose IL-2 over CFS3.

maddogjohn1966
01-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I agree. IL2 has put CFS3 in the backseat for me. Better AI. More planes, better planes. Just all around better feel, look, and concept. And the IL2 community is the best. CFS3 does have an add-on called Firepower. Pretty cool and worth it. I also have the free Korean War add-on from the Dog Patch Crew. Those guys rock. If CFS3 beats IL2 at anything, I think the ground targets are more visible and easier to target. IL2 is more of an air-to-air sim for me, until I work out the difficulties I have with the "ground" war. And one last thing(before I turn this into a novel): IL2FBAEP(with patches) ran BEAUTIFULLY out of the box. CFS3 required many trials and tweaking to get satisfactory results. 'nuff said.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-25-2005, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maddogjohn1966:
I agree. IL2 has put CFS3 in the backseat for me. Better AI. More planes, better planes. Just all around better feel, look, and concept. And the IL2 community is the best. CFS3 does have an add-on called Firepower. Pretty cool and worth it. I also have the free Korean War add-on from the Dog Patch Crew. Those guys rock. If CFS3 beats IL2 at anything, I think the ground targets are more visible and easier to target. IL2 is more of an air-to-air sim for me, until I work out the difficulties I have with the "ground" war. And one last thing(before I turn this into a novel): IL2FBAEP(with patches) ran BEAUTIFULLY out of the box. CFS3 required many trials and tweaking to get satisfactory results. 'nuff said. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best part of this has to be that Il2 was originally created as a ground attack sim around a ground attack aircraft. The original version of the game only had one FW 190. I must say that I am a fan of a lot of things in CFS3. On a real nice machine the game looks really nice, after you get the firepower addon to get rid of all the stock cockpits of course. I also think that the campaigns are better along with the "effects" which are better in CFS3 with the right machine. I also like CFS3's open architecture for offline play because I've already dowloaded/bought nice addon aircraft that people keep asking to be included in IL2. That being said, Il2 is still king.