PDA

View Full Version : Upset about video card

Pamlog
11-30-2003, 11:00 AM
I'm so angry right now! I just bought URU and I was so excited to get into it, and now it looks like, despite the fact that I have a brand new laptop computer, the game won't work with my videocard. This is the same thing that happened when Exile came out. I had a brand new desktop at the time and I had to buy a new videocard just to play the game. It's not like I have a rare videocard. It come's standard on most PCs! Why oh why can't Cyan and Ubisoft create a game that will run on the videocards that most people have?

Pamlog
11-30-2003, 11:00 AM
I'm so angry right now! I just bought URU and I was so excited to get into it, and now it looks like, despite the fact that I have a brand new laptop computer, the game won't work with my videocard. This is the same thing that happened when Exile came out. I had a brand new desktop at the time and I had to buy a new videocard just to play the game. It's not like I have a rare videocard. It come's standard on most PCs! Why oh why can't Cyan and Ubisoft create a game that will run on the videocards that most people have?

Fyrehawk
11-30-2003, 11:04 AM
What video card do you have?

"There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I have erased this line".
--Oscar Levant

maztec
11-30-2003, 04:05 PM
Brandnew laptop computer, but I'll bet you didn't pay attention to getting a real graphics card in it. Dell or Gateway or IBM or even Toshiba? Say forget it, unless you paid an arm and a leg you have a SiS or Intel graphics chipset which means you can't play URU -- and a LOT of other games.

Only one to be upset with is yourself.

drallim
12-01-2003, 08:13 PM
ME TOO! I have a new HP desktop, specifically ordered to be decked out for gameplay and multimedia. I have an Intel 82845G/GL chip video card. I've never had any problems with numerous new hi-tech games, but now I'll not be able to play the latest in my favorite Myst series--URU! Most decent (with excellent graphics) games play with a wide range of video cards--I don't understand why they need to get restrictive now.

xICEBURNx
12-02-2003, 11:02 AM
hmmm....the "wide range" of video cards is actually a small range. a lot of these other companies are just selling video cards stamped with their name but with Nvidia or ATI chipsets. "on board" grapics are NOT the way to go if you want to play games and running the minimun requirements are risky.

drallim, if i were you, i would be mad if you "specifically ordered" a pc for gaming and multimedia. there should be a video card with at least 128mg of graphic memory and certainly using the AGP slot.

for starters, you may want to check for driver updates. next check the video card settings and turn off any anti-aliasing and other "make the game look prettier" options. these just chop the game up unless you have 256mb video ram, a really fast processor, and mucho system ram.

hope any of this helps...... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

maztec
12-02-2003, 04:37 PM
exactly what ice said. those intel chipsets just won't do it.

Fyrehawk
12-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Ignore like the plague any computer that says something like "64 MB SHARED video memory". Your video card isn't REALLY 64 MB in that case, it just leeches off the computer's system memory.

"There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I have erased this line".
--Oscar Levant

maztec
12-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Fyrehawk, exactly http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif