PDA

View Full Version : Rear View Mirrors...a question.

MB_Avro_UK
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi all,

British and US fighters were equipped with rear view mirrors. They must have been of value as their use continued throughout WW2.

But German fighters appear to have never been equipped with rear view mirrors.

Why was there a difference between allied and German use of rear view mirrors?

I remember reading somewhere that if you saw the enemy in a rear view mirror it was too late to take defensive action.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

But I have found the rear view mirror to be useful. But this maybe because there are limitations in il2 with regard to checking over your shoulder views ??

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Lurch1962
03-01-2007, 06:07 PM
All I'll add here is this. Having seen that at least some mirrors appear in photos to be slightly convex (to afford a wider field of view), I wonder if any had stenciled on them, "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

--Lurch--

FritzGryphon
03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I've heard of lots of problems with mirrors that might have prevented their widespread use.

They could have a limited field of view. They might vibrate and make the image too blurry (something not in the game). Pilots might come to depend on a mirror as a crutch, and lose situational awareness because of it.

A mirror will show you very little compared to what you'd see with your own two eyes. It also doesn't replace weaving to see what's behind and under you.

Fork-N-spoon
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
Hi all,

British and US fighters were equipped with rear view mirrors. They must have been of value as their use continued throughout WW2.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

In German, it's not possible to write, "Objects are closer than they appear" in such a small area. German aircraft makers fearing legal ramifications of marketing aircraft with mirrors that may cause accidents omitted them.

MB_Avro_UK
03-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Fork-N-spoon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
Hi all,

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

In German, it's not possible to write, "Objects are closer than they appear" in such a small area. German aircraft makers fearing legal ramifications of marketing aircraft with mirrors that may cause accidents omitted them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting...so, the technical problems were a problem ?

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.