PDA

View Full Version : How much memory and great game

thebs18
05-24-2005, 09:13 PM
I think I need more memory. Since December Ive been playing xbox games, no more memory upgrades, etc. Yet, something was missing, i didn't want to try half life 2, far cry wouldn;t work on my system.

So I enjoyed doom 3, area 51 etc.
Then I saw it 19.99 pacific fighters. Now awhile ago, i gave up on PC games, but the price was right. I downloaded the 100mb patch etc and waited to be disappointed.

But I was wrong the water alone was enough to forgive the bugs and with news of another patch the game can only get better.

One question how much more memory should i add I have 512 amd 2400 and 9550 sapphire 256 mb card.

Should I add another 512 or will 256 do.

Also in the p40 hawaii mission is it normal not to see the planes, i see them in the map, then bam they appear out of nowhere and shoot me down.
Is that normal or a memory leak issue? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

F4U_Flyer
05-24-2005, 09:22 PM
get a gig of mem , it is much better.I have xp2400 , nvidea 5200 and it runs very well on mine. Cant help on the invisible planes , mess with your settings to see if it helps.

jarink
05-24-2005, 10:30 PM
I have an AthlonXP 2600+, 512MB RAM and a Gigabyte FX5700 card w/128 Meg on it. I usually run IL2\PF no problems, but only at 1024x768, water=1. Framerates average in the 30s with cockpit, 50s with "Wonderwoman" view on (invisible cockpit).

I'd recommend 512 at a minimum, but since there's not much price difference, go with a Gig even if you have to save up a little longer!

JG54_Arnie
05-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Maybe you dont see the planes because they come in low and strike the airfield right away? Can you specify that? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Welcome btw! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
If you want more, make sure to pick up IL2:forgotten battles and the Aces Expansion Pack as well, should be fairly cheap as a gold pack somewhere.

Enjoy!

wintergoose
05-25-2005, 03:51 AM
Have just ordered me a new rig after playing IL2 FB for over 2 years.
Main components :
AMD Athlon 64 3800+2,4GHZ socket 939 512 KB
Corsair S PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB
Gainward Geforce 6800GT 256MB
LG 19" LCD L198Q 8 ms DVI-D, D-sub

I think I will receive it in two weeks.
It will be two loooong weeks.

stansdds
05-25-2005, 03:57 AM
If you are running Windows 98 you can probably get by with 512 MB RAM as Win 98 does not use a lot when it is running. With Win XP you need a minimum of 1 GB RAM and when Pacific Fighters is running you may find 1.5 GB to be ideal. With my new rig I went ahead and filled the slots with 2 GB RAM. The last 512 MB usually remains unused, but it won't be long and there will be games or applications that will use a full 2 GB.

Art-J
05-25-2005, 04:19 AM
Judging from my experience, 512 is minimum, but not comfortable amount of RAM. Loading of new maps takes forever, the disk is running crazy with page file and sometimes my Win2000 spits PF out to the desktop and starts to extend swap file size (I had fixed it's size to 512MB previously). Seems like 1 (at least) gig is a must to feel safe with this sim.
The RAM upgrade is going to be my next purchase right after new graphics card http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Bearcat99
05-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by thebs18:
I think I need more memory. Since December Ive been playing xbox games, no more memory upgrades, etc. Yet, something was missing, i didn't want to try half life 2, far cry wouldn;t work on my system.

So I enjoyed doom 3, area 51 etc.
Then I saw it 19.99 pacific fighters. Now awhile ago, i gave up on PC games, but the price was right. I downloaded the 100mb patch etc and waited to be disappointed.

But I was wrong the water alone was enough to forgive the bugs and with news of another patch the game can only get better.

One question how much more memory should I add I have 512 amd 2400 and 9550 sapphire 256 mb card.

Should I add another 512 or will 256 do.

Also in the p40 hawaii mission is it normal not to see the planes, i see them in the map, then bam they appear out of nowhere and shoot me down.
Is that normal or a memory leak issue? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Definitely get another 512 of RAM.. it wont hurt. More importatly ..... find the Forgotten Battles GOLD pack which contains Forgotten Battles and the Aces Expansion pack. Do this ASAP.. as it is getting harder and harder to find and trust me.. if you like PF you will love the full version of the sim. Plus all future patches will only work with the meged version. If you cant find the GOLD pack then try to get them seperately but do it ASAP. I see the Aces pack going foe $5-$10 depending on where but I rarely see Forgotten Battles. Check Comp USA.. but do hurry. Plus if you ever want to enjoy the sim online most of the fliers use the meged version. There are very few PF stand alone servers available.

As far as the rest of your rig goes... it is decent and should run PF fine on excellent settings.

Lastly.. welcome board and hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig.