PDA

View Full Version : We need a contact altimeter!

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 06:06 PM
Were is the contact altimeter on the stuka?

IMHO this is a pretty big omition.

The altitude was set for the automatic pullout device before the dive.

The stick was restricted to 5 degrees in the dive to avoid excess G's on the auto pullout but could be overridden with a 27Kg pull on the stick in an emergency.

This should an could be simulated, especially the contact altimeter.

"Do unto others before they do unto you"

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 06:06 PM
Were is the contact altimeter on the stuka?

IMHO this is a pretty big omition.

The altitude was set for the automatic pullout device before the dive.

The stick was restricted to 5 degrees in the dive to avoid excess G's on the auto pullout but could be overridden with a 27Kg pull on the stick in an emergency.

This should an could be simulated, especially the contact altimeter.

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Contact altimeter is simulated in the game. It just has one altitude setting. ALtitude was set in the contact altimeter, which only sounded the warning horn, not to the pull-out device.

And I don't quite catch the point of limiting the stick movements in the sim. What is the purpose of that?

-jippo

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Yes the contact altimeter sounded the horn and lit up at the required height for bomb release.

Not sure if the bomb release initiated the auto pullup or a seperate button. If so the auto pullout should be modeled correctly.

A manual contact altimeter (historical) should be included aspecialy for those of us who dont use the speed bar. Also whats the point of the warning horn with no manual alt setting when the target attack point varies so much in altitude?

It would be helpful to set the altimeter before the dive see the panel light up and hear the horn at the release altitude. Beats watching the altimeter as well as keeping eyes on target.

As far as the stick locking to only a 5 degree movement in the dive it would restrict the pilot pulling on the stick pulling out of the dive and black out.

Sounds good to me, that's why we play these games for realism yeah?

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 07:08 PM
In a way, all altimeters are contact altimeters
when the needle reaches Zero, you mostly have contact (with the ground)
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://people.freenet.de/JCRitter/1sigklein.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 07:21 PM
lol!

Great way to check if the altimeter is foxtrot uniform!

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Uberduper wrote:
- Yes the contact altimeter sounded the horn and lit
- up at the required height for bomb release.

And so it does in the game.

- Not sure if the bomb release initiated the auto
- pullup or a seperate button. If so the auto pullout
- should be modeled correctly.

Auto pull-out is pretty ok now. I was better in Il-2 original where the plane would not pull up until the bombs were released (i.e. it would allow the pilot to dive to ground if he so wanted).

- A manual contact altimeter (historical) should be
- included aspecialy for those of us who dont use the
- speed bar. Also whats the point of the warning horn
- with no manual alt setting when the target attack
- point varies so much in altitude?

What is target attack point? Do mean the altitude of the targets relative to sea-level or what? AFAIK the thing that affected the contact height the most was the caliber of the bombs, as for example PC-1000 the safe drop altitude was 1000m (according to Rudel) and for smaller bombs significantly less.

- It would be helpful to set the altimeter before the
- dive see the panel light up and hear the horn at the
- release altitude. Beats watching the altimeter as
- well as keeping eyes on target.

I manage to not watch the altimeter and drop at the warning horn sound as is now. I fail to see the difficulty in doing so...

- As far as the stick locking to only a 5 degree
- movement in the dive it would restrict the pilot
- pulling on the stick pulling out of the dive and
- black out.

If I understand the game mechanics that may be difficult to do. And AFAIK the limiter was only functioning during the dive, am I incorrect?

-jippo

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 08:26 AM
I believe the "auto-pullup" was activated by the bomb release button. When the the dive brakes are turned on a trim tab on the elevator is also set so that overall trim is still neutral. After the bombs release, the elevator trim tab is returned, resulting in a very nose up trim caused by the dive brakes, thus allowing causing the plane to automatically pull up, and make the stick forces to do so much lighter. There was also a system the limited the pull-out g-force to 6g's, unless the pilot exerted more than 29lbs of pressure, so as to not overstress the aircraft. If the bombs are released during the release horn or right when it stops, then the plane should pull out automatically without pilot help. After leveling off you would then retract the dive brakes, and it would then return to normal.

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm pretty sure that I've read where Stuka pilots often blacked out for seconds in the pullout and that's why the system worked automatically to keep the plane following through. Somewhere there are carnival goers who would pay good money for just such a ride.

Neal