PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot Assassin's Creed Hands-On

Ammario
07-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Here's a gamespot article from the 11th that i haven't found on the forums so i thought I'd put it up incase someone didn't read it:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174179&pid=93027...t%3Btitle%3B5&page=1 (http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174179&pid=930278&tag=topslot%3Btitle%3B5&page=1)

They didn't mention the cross bow as one of the weapons but I think that's because it's the demo. The controls sound great and that brought up my hopes for the game because I was worried about them turning out to be bad. Found out about how you can't go to hashashin hideout till your wanted level is eliminated.

overall I think the writer should have rephrased some parts of the article but I learned a lot of new stuff about the game.

Boromir323
07-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Our demo began with Altair standing on a wooden beam on the roof of a building, where Altair is supposed to make what's known as a "leap of faith," which allows him to dive into a bale of hay on the street below him and thus quickly and stealthily make his way down to street level. Unfortunately, we clumsily executed a regular jump, sending Altair onto the pavement itself. While painful, the falling damage wasn't enough to kill us, so we took off toward our target, a slave driver named Talal who had set up shop near our location.

How could you survive that? I mean seriously. If he landed on his legs it would shatter both of them. Landing anywhere else probably would have been worse. Unless they were in god mode for the demo or something.

Ammario
07-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Boromir323:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Our demo began with Altair standing on a wooden beam on the roof of a building, where Altair is supposed to make what's known as a "leap of faith," which allows him to dive into a bale of hay on the street below him and thus quickly and stealthily make his way down to street level. Unfortunately, we clumsily executed a regular jump, sending Altair onto the pavement itself. While painful, the falling damage wasn't enough to kill us, so we took off toward our target, a slave driver named Talal who had set up shop near our location.

How could you survive that? I mean seriously. If he landed on his legs it would shatter both of them. Landing anywhere else probably would have been worse. Unless they were in god mode for the demo or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read on the forums that for the demo they had a cheat turned on so that people wouldn't die instantly if, for example, they go hit in the head which was verified in interviews as being an immediate kill. When you play the game normally you would have died from that jump.

Boromir323
07-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Ok good lol. I was a little worried.

SloppyCracker
07-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Yup, they're cheaters, lol.

SCARFACE_47
07-19-2007, 03:47 AM
how dumb must it look when you perform a normal jump from that height......jez
you could also just bash your head against the floor
right ermac? xD

SloppyCracker
07-19-2007, 03:50 AM
You could... *lifts his bloody head of the floor*

Ammario
07-19-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm still curious about the crossbow, is it going to be in the game or not?

BUSTALOT
07-19-2007, 08:51 PM
i personally believe they wouldn't have teased us like that and not have it in the game.

sireatsalot91
07-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Ammario:
I'm still curious about the crossbow, is it going to be in the game or not?

I don't know, there was no mention of it at E3 and Jade said that there were four weapons, none of which was a crossbow. I could do without it, considering you have throwing daggers for longish range and a short sword in place of the alleged blade on the end of the crossbow in the teaser thing.

bobbylucifer
07-20-2007, 02:58 AM
a crossbow would have to have some serious drawbacks otherwise the assassinations would become far too easy. just for that reason (and the fact we haven't seen it in any non-rendered clips yet) i doubt it'll be in the game. the throwing knives seem to be the ranged weapon of choice as they have a limited range and you have precious few as was stated in one of the interviews.

just realising now however that because of the whole feather in the blood thing the crossbow may not actually be that "overpowered" as you'd still have to get to the body and wipe the feather in it to complete your mission, hmm...
still, it didn't look like you needed to aim the throwing daggers to use them and it would be a bit lame not to have to aim the crossbow and be able to kill people from over a large distance so for that reason i dont think it'll be in the game (though admittedly i could be entirely wrong).

SloppyCracker
07-20-2007, 03:00 AM
Body... must get body... aaaaahhhhhh! *eats a hotdog*

StealthShottz
07-20-2007, 04:18 AM
I am sure that it is in the game and I am also sure that the retractable blade doesn't count as a weapon. I mean, it is a weapon but Jade said all you had to do was push a button on the d pad and it would come out. To get out a weapon like a short sword a little menu popped and it had 4 slots on it. I doubt that the retractable blade was in that little pop up menu because it would have no point being there if it had its own button to push to equip it. And so, 4 weapons would be:

Long Sword
Short Swords
Throwing Knives
Crossbow

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/9/7/20/f_diam_1ac9256.gif

The diagram above is a quick menu to weapons, each slot for a weapon not including retractable blade. This also makes me wonder if you can use the retractable blade when you are in atual combat and not just stealth kills.

As I said Jade said you push down on the dpad and that is how the retractable blade is activated. When the user got out any other weapon a little menu popped up.

ScytheOfGrim
07-20-2007, 04:25 AM
i dont think there will be a crossbow AND throwing knives in your inventory at the same time.

i think you will have different categories of weapons and you can only hold one weapon from each category. the categories are:

switchblade (cant be changed)
main sword(maybe cant be changed)
shortsword (might get better ones over time)
long-range (dagger and crossbow etc...)

i think you choose which weapons you want according to the category when you're in your hideout. weapons you get might change depending on your rank blah, blah, blah...

Karl_93
07-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Dont understand... All the weapons are accessed by the d-pad. So the four corners would be,
1.assassin blade
2.sword
3.throwing knives
4. short sword

StealthShottz
07-20-2007, 05:23 AM
I thought that she said there would be a button for the weapon menu to come up, then you assign that weapon to a button. The assassin blade has its own button altogether and I doubt it is on the weapon menu.

Ammario
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
If there's no room on the D-pad for a crossbow if both swords get their own button. But what if the swords are the same button. Press it once and you take out the long sword then press it again and you'll be holding two swords. Otherwise i don't see the point of having both a long and short swords if you're not using them together.

A.B.O.Y
07-31-2007, 09:30 AM
you can have over four things on the d pad as oblivion has 8 using the diagonals. Or perhaps you coud just use left and right to scroll between all weapons, theres plenty of choice to get out all your weapons seperately, i also read an article saying when you run out of knifes it switches to short sword automaticaly, that was in opsm magazine i think

Robbinho1992
07-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Its simple. The Dpad contains 4 weapons.
1. Long Sword- More powerful than short sword, but slower.
2. Short Sword- Less powerful but faster. (Not dual wielded.
3. Throwing Knives- One hit kill, but have few, Get target and throw.
4. Assassination blade- Make sure to have this out when going for silent kills from behind. Can only be used when not seen but the target.

Crossbow was just a thing they used in the pre-render/teaser trialer.

ScytheOfGrim
07-31-2007, 10:07 AM
long sword gives you more defensive abilities, the short sword makes it easier to counter, but you have less defense, remember this is a "one-hit-kill" game, so there will be no difference in power, only rangge and speed and also maybe the blocking ability...and the crossbow...you might unlock it later...but i wouldnt use it...

Robbinho1992
07-31-2007, 10:14 AM
About one hit kill, i doubt it. It will have realistic damage, so if some plants a swrod in your head, fine your dead, but a slash across the arm or summit wont kill you. Not sure, but in the E3 demo, when they were getting hit, the bar at the top (Confidence/health) went down a few bars. So i think it depends where youa re hit.

Golani2007
07-31-2007, 10:20 AM
i learn so much from the artical...
and there is so many nwe vids there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lizard000
07-31-2007, 12:00 PM
it has been confirmed that you can use the hidden blade whilst in combat! And the menu you're talking about also includes the hidden blade... watch the gamespot video i posted a while ago and you'll see

the_assassin_07
07-31-2007, 12:14 PM
t has been confirmed that you can use the hidden blade whilst in combat!
WOHOO!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I thought you could only use it when you do the assassination.

quicksilver_502
08-01-2007, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Robbinho1992:
Its simple. The Dpad contains 4 weapons.
1. Long Sword- More powerful than short sword, but slower.
2. Short Sword- Less powerful but faster. (Not dual wielded.
3. Throwing Knives- One hit kill, but have few, Get target and throw.
4. Assassination blade- Make sure to have this out when going for silent kills from behind. Can only be used when not seen but the target.

Crossbow was just a thing they used in the pre-render/teaser trialer.

actually i looked at the demo d-pad thing and it seemed the short blade seemed to also count as the throwing knives. i checked because i was confused but when he selected the short sword i saw him stab someone with it and then when he backed up the little contextual thing changed to "throw knife". the bottom d-pad bit selects fists. watch some of the gamespot vids carefully and and pause it and you should notice it.