PDA

View Full Version : Pe2 Download and First impressiond.

ytareh
04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Downloaded from the "french" language link elsewhere on these forums.Payment and download fine although the latter not the fastest (25 mins on broadband).
The patch does not install by default however despite the impressions the "Boontybox" installer program gives but its easy to find it in the Boontybox and install it yourself.
I reckon the Boontybox -doesnt it sound ridiculous-will be a bit controversial with some -it installs itself in your startup programs list and Im sure its got elements of spyware in it .Still its no worse or better than Steam,Creative,Gamespy and a host of other mainstream ones...
And to the plane itself ?Well I like the Pe3bis its quite the heavy twin fighter with 2 cannons and mgs .The Pe2 late seems ok too -well able to handle a dive that would rip the wings off a Sturmo at very high speed.

ytareh
04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Downloaded from the "french" language link elsewhere on these forums.Payment and download fine although the latter not the fastest (25 mins on broadband).
The patch does not install by default however despite the impressions the "Boontybox" installer program gives but its easy to find it in the Boontybox and install it yourself.
I reckon the Boontybox -doesnt it sound ridiculous-will be a bit controversial with some -it installs itself in your startup programs list and Im sure its got elements of spyware in it .Still its no worse or better than Steam,Creative,Gamespy and a host of other mainstream ones...
And to the plane itself ?Well I like the Pe3bis its quite the heavy twin fighter with 2 cannons and mgs .The Pe2 late seems ok too -well able to handle a dive that would rip the wings off a Sturmo at very high speed.

Fox_3
04-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Personally I think this download idea is a crock. Still waiting for my activation key.

Not a happy bunny.

GoToAway
04-28-2006, 12:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fox_3:
Personally I think this download idea is a crock. Still waiting for my activation key.

Not a happy bunny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I am still waiting for my "recipt email" in spite of paying almost 5 hours ago.

However, if gives you the key right on the site after ordering it. I made a note of it, so I had no problem installing.

Furthermore, this "Boontybox" can be uninstalled as soon as Pe-2 is installed. However, I suspect that "Boontybox" will need to be reinstalled if you ever want to reinstall the addon.

I wonder if those that whined about people expressing displeasure in this addon only being available through download are now starting to understand?

crashmaster4000
04-28-2006, 07:51 PM
I like it. Even though I had a difficult time installing it...I really like it. Thanks 1c! Looking forward to the rest!

raisen
04-29-2006, 10:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crashmaster4000:
I like it. Even though I had a difficult time installing it...I really like it. Thanks 1c! Looking forward to the rest! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't boontybox supposed to make this sort of thing easier according to the guff on their web page...?

No thanks, I'll give this one a very wide berth. Shame on UBI getting rid of SF then bringing in Boonty.....

Raisen

crashmaster4000
04-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Yes its supposed to, but it nearly drove away this paying customer with it's complete lack of a sensible install route. Granted that I screwed it up the first time however...It took

1. two downloads. I accidentally installed it in the boonty default "installed games" folder and when I went to have it "uninstalled", it took the unpacked files off AND the downloaded exe. Start again from scratch.

2. When I got it again, I put it in the il2 dir and it then told me my license was corrupted. It offered a fix, but there was no repair button when it said "press the repair button". That, and the "next" button was non-functional. THAT, and it would also give me a HTTP 403 forbidden message on occasion, when the "next" button felt like doing something.

Ohh, and I got a Stop screen (Error code 100000ea, parameter1 8556d570, parameter2 85233da0, parameter3 f7c8bcb4, parameter4 00000001)(code 102) from trying to install it again.

3. I said forget about it and did a system restore to the 27th of april...after that was done....the addon magically worked. I have no explanation to offer for this at all.

While I am pleased with the content of the new addon, I'm rather leary about ever using boonty again to get payware content.

leitmotiv
04-30-2006, 09:38 AM
I feel your pain. I downloaded from France Ubi and was confused by the language (dictionary in hand---tearing hair out), found out about the English translation button (completely missed it first time), did the process again---repaid (grr grr). The Boonty I got did not work. Now that I knew the ropes I tried Boonty no.1 and got it to work. From there, piece of cake, but I am wise enough about computers to know that I could have just been lucky---next time, on something else, I could be doing the System Restore bit. Frankly astounded this wasn't done with U.S. Ubi, too, to help out the poor Yanks. I understand the unhappiness about the Boonty spyware. Seems a more straightforward system could have been used. Spyware a huge concern to many and is not a trivial issue even if you elect to grit your teeth and live with it as I do.