PDA

View Full Version : Collisions in the harbours

Hogarn
09-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Right.
I bought this game on the weekend (yes im slow on the uptake) and this is a ****ing joke.
I was on maybe my fifth patrol and i managed to sink 5 ships with 5 torps (one for one!). I have a C3, and around 15.000 tonnes of assorted other shipping. So, my best patrol so far. Well pleased!

Headed back to base. TC = x1024. Career ended by collision. I had stopped the pre plotted course well outside the dock but the bastard glided in there. ****s sake, 27 dead. This is a joke Ubi. Once you return to base after completing objectives you should simply dock without having to do it manually.

This is something im sure has been said a million times before, and im aware that we arent getting any official patches anymore etc. but i felt i need the bastards to hear it. Again.

Wagner

Bubblehead1948
09-06-2005, 08:20 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif (whew) Calm down. I hit a pier once
a little hard. Killed a crewman in the forward torpedo room. Learned to effectivly use the helm and the engine order telegraph for docking after that.

Things to consider:

Even if you end the plotted course a safe distance from the pier; there is inertia. That boat won't stop just because the navigation did.

As for TCx1024. I wouldn't dream of using it anywhere near a harbour. Too many things can go wrong before the code engine can catch up with it. I'm surprised that your boat didn't end up on the corner of Himmlerplatz und Willhelmstrasse. Anyway, the code engine will attempt to restrict high tc settings in harbours --if ya give it a chance.

Remember; this is a sim. Sims by their very nature are terribly unforgiving of those who strain the laws of physics and gravity during the course of use.

Finally, I can see this incident has upset you.

Do this: When you are about 50 miles outside of your base port; simply hit escape and end the patrol. You're clearly not in any frame of mind for close quarters navigation.

larrypenner67
09-06-2005, 09:45 PM
I've never had such a problem, though I think yeah I damaged a sub a bit coming in too fast in harbor..

paulhager
09-07-2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Hogarn:
Right.
I bought this game on the weekend (yes im slow on the uptake) and this is a ****ing joke.
I was on maybe my fifth patrol and i managed to sink 5 ships with 5 torps (one for one!). I have a C3, and around 15.000 tonnes of assorted other shipping. So, my best patrol so far. Well pleased!

Headed back to base. TC = x1024. Career ended by collision. I had stopped the pre plotted course well outside the dock but the bastard glided in there. ****s sake, 27 dead. This is a joke Ubi. Once you return to base after completing objectives you should simply dock without having to do it manually.

This is something im sure has been said a million times before, and im aware that we arent getting any official patches anymore etc. but i felt i need the bastards to hear it. Again.

Wagner

My very first career ended at the dock. I expected that if I placed a waypoint on the map that the route would be resolved to minimum distance that missed all land/obstructions. Harpoon 2/3 did that. When I clicked the mouse and fixed the waypoint I went to the control room view. There was a terrible grinding sound, the control room began to rotate at a sickening angle and I got a series of damage reports culminated in an abandon career message. I'd destroyed my sub ramming into the dock.

As for your situation, when you get to within 30 km of home base, you'll get the option to dock. Of course, if you want to maneuver into a berth, you can. Me, I just hit escape and select the dock option.

Hogarn
09-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Its not that i wont manouver. I have manouvered using the engine telegraph and compass out of harbour on each patrol ive begun so far. Its simply that i allowed for inertia, and made the final waypoint about 4 km outside out the harbour. Surely the inertia from 9knts isnt enough to carry you at high speed for 4 miles in reasonable conditions resulting in the destruction of my sub?
Sorry to go on, but you know, im new http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Wagner

ILikePortillos
09-07-2005, 04:38 AM
Have you installed patch 1.4b? I remember the box version simply had a dot for the base. The patch provided a schematic of the dock area on the map, which allows you to plot a course right up to the pen. I can fly right up there at full compression without ever even looking to see where I'm at now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Also, you can hit escape to end the mission and "Dock at: Whatever Port" instead of physically docking.

My first port collision was the concrete breakwater at Wilhelmshaven. Again, this was before 1.4b.

Dominicrigg
09-07-2005, 05:34 AM
NEVER run into base at full time compression.

NEVER set time compression high around enemy aircraft

NEVER set time compression high when there are enemy destroyers about.

As you are coming out of time compression it doesnt happen instantly, so by the time the computer has dropped out of full speed it will have hit the dock. Slow down compression the nearer you get to dock. First down to 256, then as you get closer in to 64 or so.

With enemy shipping time compression makes you easier to detect and they will spot you or hear you from ludicrous distances.

Sorry for you i know its a pain in the *** as a similar thing happened to me once, now you have to carry on and not do it again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My problem was that my computer pauses as it loads up the docks at quite a few miles away, however once it had loaded them it raced to catch up with the point it should have been at, covering a couple hundred km in half a second and crashed into the dock lol. They seem to have fixed this racing in the latest patch thankfully.

bunkerratt
09-07-2005, 01:10 PM
learning the hard way is costly...hell run it in to port yourself...aka on the bridge...runnning @1024 is not to good ..bad things happen and boom..poof wtf?..happened?..