PDA

View Full Version : Making the transition from externals to no externals. Beginners advice to beginners

dazza9806482
01-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi all

I have recently had a kind of il2 epiphany, after 1 year almost to the day of flying on servers with externals on I have begun flying on warclouds.

This post isnt intended to be a debate of the relative merits of settings, everyone likes what they like and thats fine. However my post is intended to address those players who like me thought they couldnt do without external views.

now the one thing that playing with externals for a year did teach me is energy states and frantic furballing, and the basics of combat and flying.

moving to externals off is a total breath of fresh air and has rekindled my love affair with il2, the game suddenly becomes more sneaky tactical and tense. u have the amazing ability to surprise and to hide (something not possible in externals servers)

however its not nice getting your *** handed to you by a sweeping unseen eagle form above as you take your first tentative steps on the externals off server.

so my tips from a beginner to other 'beginners'
im sure other will have far more wisdom but this helped me enjoy no externals so far:

1: set your look to toggle locked. ie when u move ur hat switch the view locks on that direction until you hit the hat switch again. it is crucial that you constantly scan the skies around above and below for threats. this way was a revelation- it allows you to keep agood eye on a section of sky and also far more views than the push to look alternative. this also helps you get over the asthetic problems of moving off externals, you can gaze out of the window at the beautiful scenery and your cockpit becomes more living and breathing as you approach a runway in a gentle curve with the view locked on the right front window.

2: fly as high as you can stomach and then fly higher- circle your airfield and climb and climb. as we are beginners its best that you have more potential energy and therefore escape speed when u engage. this also lets you lazily circle the engagement area looking for victims to pounce on!

3: choose a plane with good visibility and good high speed turn. i choose the latest p51 for the first time- the reason is its excellent visibility and high speed maneoveurability- perfect for swooping down and then running.

4: avoid low down turning fights- once you have tagged a enemy with some 50 cal fly up and watch his progress- whilst constantly looking for threats. play a stalking game.

5: enjoy the immersion, dont let the staggeringly good aces put u off, and expect your kill score to be a lot less, in fact forget about score, if u hit a bandit and someone else follows and kills u at least contributed and more importantly you are alive. think in terms of staying alive (deathkick helps!)

sorry if this is a bit of a ramble. i just cant believe how much fun im having with the transition. now obviously these tips are simplistic and limited to a bnz tactic. however im enjoying the first steps on no externals without getting hammered constantly.

i found it hard to adjust to the more thoughful and tactical approach, however im loving the tense subtletys and satisfaction of no externals, including the ability to fly right up behind a victim and have him never see me!

all the best

daz

comments welcome- help for me too..

dazza9806482
01-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi all

I have recently had a kind of il2 epiphany, after 1 year almost to the day of flying on servers with externals on I have begun flying on warclouds.

This post isnt intended to be a debate of the relative merits of settings, everyone likes what they like and thats fine. However my post is intended to address those players who like me thought they couldnt do without external views.

now the one thing that playing with externals for a year did teach me is energy states and frantic furballing, and the basics of combat and flying.

moving to externals off is a total breath of fresh air and has rekindled my love affair with il2, the game suddenly becomes more sneaky tactical and tense. u have the amazing ability to surprise and to hide (something not possible in externals servers)

however its not nice getting your *** handed to you by a sweeping unseen eagle form above as you take your first tentative steps on the externals off server.

im sure other will have far more wisdom but this helped me enjoy no externals so far:

1: set your look to toggle locked. ie when u move ur hat switch the view locks on that direction until you hit the hat switch again. it is crucial that you constantly scan the skies around above and below for threats. this way was a revelation- it allows you to keep agood eye on a section of sky and also far more views than the push to look alternative. this also helps you get over the asthetic problems of moving off externals, you can gaze out of the window at the beautiful scenery and your cockpit becomes more living and breathing as you approach a runway in a gentle curve with the view locked on the right front window.

2: fly as high as you can stomach and then fly higher- circle your airfield and climb and climb. as we are beginners its best that you have more potential energy and therefore escape speed when u engage. this also lets you lazily circle the engagement area looking for victims to pounce on!

3: choose a plane with good visibility and good high speed turn. i choose the latest p51 for the first time- the reason is its excellent visibility and high speed maneoveurability- perfect for swooping down and then running.

4: avoid low down turning fights- once you have tagged a enemy with some 50 cal fly up and watch his progress- whilst constantly looking for threats. play a stalking game.

5: enjoy the immersion, dont let the staggeringly good aces put u off, and expect your kill score to be a lot less, in fact forget about score, if u hit a bandit and someone else follows and kills u at least contributed and more importantly you are alive. think in terms of staying alive (deathkick helps!)

sorry if this is a bit of a ramble. i just cant believe how much fun im having with the transition. now obviously these tips are simplistic and limited to a bnz tactic. however im enjoying the first steps on no externals without getting hammered constantly.

i found it hard to adjust to the more thoughful and tactical approach, however im loving the tense subtletys and satisfaction of no externals, including the ability to fly right up behind a victim and have him never see me!

all the best

daz

comments welcome- help for me too..

JG52Uther
01-03-2005, 09:10 AM
And on a totally different subject Dazza,was that you on WC last night that had the strange graphics problem when they changed the mission (weird in cockpit graphics,green glass etc);cos i had it to!.I respawned and picked the same plane,still had it.Picked a different plane ,and no problems.I had this in a different server the other night too.Never had this problem before.Now back to your thread....

dazza9806482
01-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah mate that was me, had it tonight as well, only fix was to restart.

weird blocky polygons etc.

a couple of other guys reported it at the same time as me tonight....

LStarosta
01-03-2005, 01:56 PM
I had sort of the same deal with beginning to fly with icons off, or with friendly only icons at close range. I thought it wasn't possible, then I figured that others are as disadvantaged as I am. It really makes your blood boil when you're swooping down at 600+ km/h and at the last moment you must decide if your prey is friendly or foe. This only works on semi-realistic and realistic planesets, as often you must judge Friend and Foe by countour of the wings, or fuselage, tracer colors, etc. People get more involved and intimate in a way, because they begin to use voice comms and plan wingman tactics etc. Very good deal. I don't want to whine, but people who don't fly full real don't know what they're missing in terms of involvement and immersion. RIGHT BEARCAT? IMMERSION BABY, YEAAAAH!!!

JG52Uther
01-03-2005, 02:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dazza9806482:
Yeah mate that was me, had it tonight as well, only fix was to restart.

weird blocky polygons etc.

a couple of other guys reported it at the same time as me tonight.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just had it again in a coop ,as did another squaddie with 4.12's ,gonna roll back to 4.10 and see if it still happens

Friendly_flyer
01-03-2005, 02:18 PM
From your descriptions, I had the same problems after I installed PF (merged). The propeller disc got all angly and green, the clouds got block-like and green etc.

Now, the interesting thing is that I'm an offline. The problems went away with the first patch, and haven't returned.

Playing with no externals is great BTW.

73GIAP_Milan
01-03-2005, 03:13 PM
that's why i've stopped flying online..

I can fly online with IL2 Sturmovik only (comp does not have power to run IL2/FB properly)
and ALL there are with il2 are wonderwoman+icons servers.
As soon as I host a full real/hard server with no externals and no icons, no-one joins... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Full settings are so much more fun, but not if no-one dares to join...

JG7_Rall
01-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Congrats my friend! I'm glad that not only you made the transition but that you're also enjoying it! It's tough at first, I know, but you'll get better and better soon enough. I think in this environment you tend to learn from your mistakes a lot faster as opposed to a lower realism setting. Hope to see ya on WC soon!

73GIAP_Milan
01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

True!!

btw: JG7_Rall: i just love your sig for some reason starting with leet and it ends with some Robin thing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Nice one!!

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-03-2005, 06:31 PM
A "no externals" server is where TrackIR really comes into play for me. The static presence of the cockpit frame helps orientation. I highly recommend it for helping the transition.

TB

JG7_Rall
01-03-2005, 07:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 73GIAP_Milan:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

True!!

btw: JG7_Rall: i just love your sig for some reason starting with leet and it ends with some Robin thing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Nice one!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! LStarosta did the photoshoping however http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I just love the painting, and all of Nicholas Trudgian's work.

karost
01-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi, new friends

if you are new for "no externals" and get shooted to many time in DF-Server coz you lack for inside-cockpit : Situation Awareness and view manipulation experience

seem you have more serious training in QMB and pilot-career try this below to fix your POV,Zoom or trackIR skill.

- phase I use QMB 1vs1 AI vert, difficult = realistic + icon ( ok if you feel boring about 1vs1 then try next )
- phase II use QMB 1vs2 AI ace difficult = realistic
- phase III use QMB 2vs3 AI ace difficult = realistic
- phase IV use QMB 1vs3 AI vert difficult = realistic

- and it be batter if you play your favor offline pilot-career with difficult = realistic ( must no icon, no external ) just 1 week for your skill improvement then go back to DF-server again.

after take off from DF-Sever fly cycle over base to re-group with your friends and then have fun!

as JG7_Rall said:
"tough at first, I know, but you'll get better and better soon enough. "

well I agree , and ... it is true http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!

dazza9806482
01-04-2005, 04:41 AM
Yeah i agree

i dont know if i could have made the transition if i hadnt already been flying for a year. whilst i liked externals i always played with cockpit on, so i developed basic spacial awareness.
basic in my case really translating as the ability to make your aircraft fly in the direction you want whilst permanently looking in another!

an unexpected bonus is that landings are much more challenging! i have always landed with the benefit of external views and no externals is proving a real challenge.

as for track ir- i might go down that route- however im finding the fixed pov hat switching a revelation.
im thinking voice comms may be a good buy?

thanks guys

daz

JG52Uther
01-04-2005, 05:13 AM
You dont need to 'buy' voice comms Dazza,just a cheap headset (or an expensive one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)then D/L teamspeak or Ventrillo.If you have the time join a squad and your flying fun will increase at least 100%.If you fly on WC they have their own teamspeak that you can join,although i have never tried it as my squad use Ventrillo.

F19_Ob
01-04-2005, 06:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dazza9806482:

.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was interesting to hear about your experiences and I very much agree with most things stated.
I have kept at this since the beginning of il-2 and can say I'm pretty experienced .
I still get my but handed to me often
..especially when I fly cr@ppier planes or bombers against skilled opponents and /or better planes. I also enjoy handing others butts to them.

Getting shot down isn't and shouldnt be such a big deal really, although no one likes to lose and u dont have to enjoy it all the time ,but sadly this is very disturbing and unamusing for some and likely disables them from full enjoyment of this great sim.
No prestige or experience is lost if shot down even on frequent basis and I prefer to learn from it by recording tracks, and without them one can not fully appreciate an opponents skill and give him proper credit or learn how to avoid repetition.
Regarding experience and tactical knowledge asvell as knowledge of the opponent is just one of those things that constantly increases, and still feel,in my case, continues to increase and I still have an enormous field a head of me, wich is very inspiring.

Just a few comments http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif