PDA

View Full Version : Well, I finally got on line....

SabreF-86
03-14-2005, 12:50 AM
and after a couple of hours of trying, I have come to the conclusion that a) this is a blast, and b) I really suck!

I think the only two kills I got were flukes, and my AI gunner is better than me.

Much more practice is required. I think part of my problem is overcontrol. I am using a logitech joystick and will have to see about dulling its response down some. The second problem is losing track of the opposition. Can someone explain how the target padlock works in this game? I can't seem to get anything with it when I hit the key. Probably Im not doing something right here.

The final problem is more one of tactics. I have a tendency to keep doing a horizontal turn with everyone, and really should be doing the Boom n zoom more, one pass and extend. Energy management doesn't seem to be a problem, at least not that I've noticed hanging in mid air with a big bullseye on my tail. I seem to be in the mid 200kph range while trying to fight.

Any comments?

thanks

Sabre

SabreF-86
03-14-2005, 12:50 AM
and after a couple of hours of trying, I have come to the conclusion that a) this is a blast, and b) I really suck!

I think the only two kills I got were flukes, and my AI gunner is better than me.

Much more practice is required. I think part of my problem is overcontrol. I am using a logitech joystick and will have to see about dulling its response down some. The second problem is losing track of the opposition. Can someone explain how the target padlock works in this game? I can't seem to get anything with it when I hit the key. Probably Im not doing something right here.

The final problem is more one of tactics. I have a tendency to keep doing a horizontal turn with everyone, and really should be doing the Boom n zoom more, one pass and extend. Energy management doesn't seem to be a problem, at least not that I've noticed hanging in mid air with a big bullseye on my tail. I seem to be in the mid 200kph range while trying to fight.

Any comments?

thanks

Sabre

Dolemite-
03-14-2005, 01:04 AM
200kph? Waay too slow. What plane are you flying? As TnB and BnZ depends on the plane.

SabreF-86
03-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Lately, the La-5FN. If you play JW hooters, you musta zorched me several times in the last couple days. I am SabreKai on hyperlobby.

Tully__
03-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Padlock:

If the server/host your flying with has the "No Padlock" difficulty setting turned on, it wont work at all.

If icons are off, padlock can't tell the difference between friend & foe.

If "No Padlock" is off, you still need to be closer than 3km to the intended padlock target and it has to be in your field of view. Once padlocked, if it moves out of your possible field of view (behind part of your plane, terrain or clouds) for more than about a second or two, you'll lose padlock. IIRC, if it moves more than about 6-8km away, you'll lose padlock.

If external views are enabled, external padlock (F6 / Shift F6) will work regardless of the "No Padlock" difficulty setting.

Re speed, even in a turn & burn plane I try to keep over 300km/h. For anything that B&Z is a suitable tactic for, 400km/h is nearly too slow except at the very end of a zoom/extension. Most of your fighting should be in the 450-600km/h range.

JG54_Arnie
03-14-2005, 01:45 AM
Nice! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Keep trying, you will gradually get a better idea about whats exactly going on. So which servers did you try? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SabreF-86
03-14-2005, 02:02 AM
AAF something or other just as a first connection, there was no one else on it. Just did a couple circuits to make sure it was working ok. Then I tried JW Hooters, which is a blast. Couldn't hit a thing, but did manage to last about 3-5 minutes mixing it up before I got zorched. Then I tried Janus 71, did a bit of Jabo stuff against shipping, but then got bounce by a Spit.As I was mixing it up, the screen locked up. Wouldn't unlock. Had to Ctrl-Alt-delete to get out of it. When I tried Janus 71 a second time, I locked up as soon as I entered the cockpit. Same deal, CAD, and out. So I went back to Hooters for an hour or so. Tried different aircraft, Ki-61, P-51D, Ju-87G (gunner got a kill, I got flamed) and a couple of others. All in all a pretty good way to spend some time.

Sabre

F19_Ob
03-14-2005, 02:23 AM
That was only your first session.
U should give it atleast a couple or 3 month.
Remember that there are players with lots of free time and others that has been at it for years.

Viewvtips

If u have a hatswitch and a few buttons on your yoystick I highly recommend skipping the padlock since it gives u a bad habit in relaxing and not getting used to proper spotting Or a sound look-around-routine.

Just want to give some good stick tips:

1. I have my hatswitch views set so I can look around in all directions exept directly backward.
The best thing is to enable the 'front+up' view when pressing forward on the hatswitch and not the up view and I'll tell u why next.

2. Enable a button on the joystick (or keyboard) for the 'up' view because it can be used in combination with the hatswitch in the way that u press 'up'+ hatsvitch to be able to se diagonally up around the clock.
Extreemly important for any of the back views.

When flying and starting to search the rear; make a slow turn and look back and up and the slightly roll the plane while holding this view to get a full search behind and below.
Very effective.

Many misses the combined between 'up' set to another button and the views of the hatswitch function because the 'up' view is set to the hatswitch by default and u thus cant use it.

This trick has brought several players to new hights. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SabreF-86
03-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the tip on setting the switches _Ob, I'll set that up asap. Didn't know you could use them in conjunction with one another. That will be a great help. Ditto the S turns. Good pointers all, thanks everyone.

Sabre