PDA

View Full Version : AAA shoots at friendlies

dashman
10-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Happy Friday to all

I was playing a single mission last night (sorry, not at the computer at home now, so can't remember what it's called, but it was in the south sea) and after taking off and nailing 4 or 5 incoming AC I decided to land and move on to the next mission. I cruised over the top of the bluff at the end of the runway and was about to settle down onto the runway when I got shot up by the AAA firing from my own base where I took off.

There were no enemy AC in my immediate area, I don't think, so it didn't seem like a bad aim (well, it was bad aim to my way of thinking!).

Anyone have this happen?

Thanks!

RAF_OldBuzzard
10-23-2009, 02:07 PM
That probably happened because AAA will shoot at enemy pilots that are in Chutes and/or life rafts.

AndyJWest
10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Are you sure the AA wasn't firing at an enemy ground target? The gun AI is fairly stupid, and will happily shoot through friendly aircraft at anything it considers a target - not just parachutists (this is not supposed to happen any more with the 4.09m patch), but enemy planes, ships, vehicles etc.

Choctaw111
10-23-2009, 03:39 PM
AAA or friendly bomber fire and the like will shoot at any enemy, even in parachutes. If you are between the friendly guns and the enemy target, you will be fired upon by the good guys.
I have seen it work the other way as well. I have seen enemy bombers hit other bombers in the formation, or even hit their fighters trying to shoot at me.

dashman
10-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, I asssumed enemies were not around, otherwise they would have been shooting at me while following me in, and I know that 4.09m eliminated shooting at parachutists, so I don't know what's up with this.

It does seem that you ought to able to at least land, for crying out loud, at your own base without getting fired on, unless there's a new 'accidental/random friendly fire' option in 4.09m.

Maybe it's a quirk of that mission, and not characeristic of IL-2 in general. In any case, I'll check it out again, get the name of the mission and report back with the details.

I just hate to do good in a mission and get killed, while landing, by my own guys. Realistic, perhaps, but unecessary here (except that 'friendly fire' option might be something to explore.

Aaargh.

dashman
10-23-2009, 06:58 PM
AndyJ - I was taking off from and landing on an island, so no ground targets there. Unless I landed on the wrong island http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

AndyJWest
10-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I know that in the IJN Iwo Jima campaign missions, you can get artillery firing across the runway threshold at allied landing craft or something, but this doesn't sound like that. Is this a stock mission, or a download? Maybe there is an enemy flak gun placed on the map by mistake. If you can, have a look at the mission in the FMB, this would be easy to spot.

It is even possible this is a glitch - which version of IL-2 are you running?

dashman
10-23-2009, 08:05 PM
running 4.09m. Not sure how to check it in FMB, and not sure then if it's stock or not, I'll try to determine that.

DKoor
10-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Iwo Jima is hell... if you aren't fast enough on take of, allied vessels will chew you out.