PDA

View Full Version : Vista and Pacific Fighters version 4.04m

SimAce1
02-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi folks,
I am considering the purchase/build of a new machine. I now run XP Pro with great results. My builder has suggested Vista. He has run Vista as a Beta operator for over a year with good results but has no experience with Pacific Fighers.

My question is has anyone switched over to Vista and what was your experience with the change.

My short on my new machine is 4.2 ghz processor, 300 gig HD, 2 gig RAM, 512 video card and Vista Premium. (My builder claims that there is a major improvement if you use the Vista Premium package.)

What are your thoughts and/or experiences ??

SimAce1

SimAce1
02-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi folks,
I am considering the purchase/build of a new machine. I now run XP Pro with great results. My builder has suggested Vista. He has run Vista as a Beta operator for over a year with good results but has no experience with Pacific Fighers.

My question is has anyone switched over to Vista and what was your experience with the change.

My short on my new machine is 4.2 ghz processor, 300 gig HD, 2 gig RAM, 512 video card and Vista Premium. (My builder claims that there is a major improvement if you use the Vista Premium package.)

What are your thoughts and/or experiences ??

SimAce1

Tator_Totts
02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
SimAce1 hopefully I can add a little here to help you.

First I have Ultimate 64 bit Vista. Only difference in the Vista packages are the options or extras. Same sytstem in all packages except 32 bit to 64 bit. So choose one for options not better performance. 64 bit will be better performance in the near future. Not so much right now.

64 bit will be more problems than 32 bit when it comes to drivers and software. No 16 bit in 64 bit.

Problems with Pacific fighters will be this. First hardware
Saitek has drivers but no SST programmable software. SST will be out next month. Other joysticks with problems too.
Track ir you can get it to work but you have to disable force driver signature everytime you boot. Natural point is working on this.

Belkin game keypads do not work now.

At first if you run opengl you would see about 50 % reduction in FPS with hardware shaders on.
Could be new drivers but know I am getting slightly better than XP. I benchmarked XP with Black Death track before I switched to Vista.

In Directx You will get about 10% increase.
With Vista prefecth starting the game and menu switching is real fast now.

Bottom line still compatible problems with software and drivers. Have to be a geek to get somethings to work. I like to tweak and fix things so Vista is a ripe field to work on.

I seeing companies are starting to work to get their product to work in Vista. Hopefully by Summer things will be better with SP1 and more compatibility with software and drivers.

Companies are realizing that if their product is working in Vista first, people are more likely to pick their product. I know I am.

MaxMhz
02-25-2007, 02:13 PM
I will stay away from Vista untill at least the end of 2008 (if not longer) - If you jump in on a brand new OS - especially a M$ one, you are sure to run into problems. As far as I'm concerned XP runs fine and Vista has no improvements that I can see. It's a .rush job too. Running PF under DX is not an option for me - no "Perfect" lanscape mode in DX.

SimAce1
02-26-2007, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tator_Totts:
SimAce1 hopefully I can add a little here to help you.

Thanks for your complete response. I kinda figured that there would be some problems but thought that the increase in performance would make up for the added hassle.

I've decided to hold off on the Vista issue until we know more about the impact AND the fixes.

Thanks for your help !

SimAce1

SimAce1
02-26-2007, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MaxMhz:
"I will stay away from Vista untill at least the end of 2008 (if not longer) - If you jump in on a brand new OS - especially a M$ one, you are sure to run into problems. "

I agree. I'm going to hold off until we all know more about Vista's impact.

SimAce1

mortoma1958
03-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I plan to build a new rig this summer and I plan to have multiple hard drives with a HD quick change thingie mounted in a CD bay. I plan to run both WinXP and Vista. I'll simply change drives and boot to run whichever one I want on a whim. So I can just "fool around" and experiment with PF and Vista. All the while having a nice running XP install of PF on XP in case I have no success with Vista. The only way to "fly" as far as I'm concerned. This is far better than having a multiboot HD with different boot partition sections for different OSs. If you do that, a virus or a HD crash will ruin all your installs.