PDA

View Full Version : Lods are not equal = Planes dissapear at different distance

F19_Ob
02-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Sorry for bugreport so soon and there was no bugthread...... but The Lods are not equal between planes = Planes dissapear at different distances wich becomes very annoying at times.

I flew online a few moments ago with my brother, and on our way to target we saw a 109 shoot in thin air. Suddenly we saw strikes in empty air infront of the 109.
We went closer to investigate and at fairly close distance a blenheim appeared like magic and the next moment I was hit.
I turned my head and watched behind me.
Tracers came out of thin air but from the tracers I could tell it was a hurricane. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

I think the main thing that makes the 109 more visible is that it gets filled with dark black at 1000m and is still visible as a dot at 3000m.
The hurricane and other planes that dissapear are still light grey at 1000m and doesn't get filled with black after that, so they dissappear sooner. Perhaps all lods should have more black in them like the 109 since it has the nicest transition over distance?
Perhaps this would solve the grey planes flickering at distance aswell.

Please Fix the lods so all planes dissapear at same distance.
Is there any reason for it to be like this??

This is an issue for many planes, but the plane that has the most steady Lods, and wich doesn't flicker at longer distances' is the 109.
So if all lods are made after the 109 lod and given the same distance before disappearing it would be perfect. All Planes should be very distict and clear at 500m atleast but sometimes it's hard to see some planes at even closer ranges depending on background.

A few Examples on planes that dissapear too early can be mentioned:

* Hurricanes
* Seafire lose wings at 300-400m and dissappear in dogfights
* Blenhiem dissapears suddenly wich looks wierd
* P40

Sorry for posting problems....other than that I think the FM and feel of the plane in 404 is fantastic.

|CoB|_Spectre
02-26-2006, 10:37 AM
In one way or another this has been an issue since the original IL-2. Early in the forums there was a post where someone had screenshots of a 109 and another Red aircraft (don't remember which one), but icons were turned on displaying distance. It was startling to see how much more visible the 109 was than the other aircraft at the same distance. I can't say what evolution has taken place over the time or what video settings/resolutions have an impact. All I know is there does seem to have been changes along the way, but no solution to LOD issues that are universally accepted as a fix. A few patches ago the developer tried a different pixel model for distant aircraft that people running at higher screen resolutions liked, but people at mid to lower resolutions railed against. Consequently there was a tweak in the next patch that appeared to take it back to the way it was before which seemed more universally acceptable. It's important to regard this entire progression of the IL-2/FB/AEP/PF series as being an evolutionary work in progress. With that comes successes and failures of varying degrees, but it's still amazing that the developer is trying along the way to come up with a better sim than already exists. Most developers just release, maybe patch once or twice, then move along. In the big scheme of things, you've gotta hand it to Maddox Games for ongoing work that keeps us interested.

F19_Ob
02-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Perhaps it is very difficult to fix then? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Couldnt they just use the parameters or values(not sure what its called ) of the 109 and copy it to the other planes?

To me it feels like a very essential thing, and to have an enemy plane dissappear in a dogfight like the seafire at 400m freaks me out.

I undersrtand the dev team is on their knees with workoverload and don't want to spend more time on this than nescessary.

Well, I guess one can't do more than try, report, and hope. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If I was a rich enthusiast instead of poor, I would send oleg and team a bag of plentiful cash so he could complete his goals freely.
There would have been no Leonardo Davinci's or any other great artists in history without rich donors enabling them to work.

pdog1
02-26-2006, 03:27 PM
This is not a plane specefic problem this its like this for ALL the planes in the new patch.
Once again, if it ain't broke.............
I guess they will never learn.

WWMaxGunz
02-26-2006, 04:01 PM
It has always been an issue of which opinion plays a big part.
I am one hoping for a change in how LOD's are made and then all new set.

I would also like to see LOD's use different shades than any used for terrain.
The reason is that planes painted as terrain shades will look different when above the
terrain any real amount. It is that or closer things colors should look more saturated
than distant things. Both are 'shortcuts' I would have no problem with. Maybe neither
can work the way the code works, I just wish for different since the 2001 IL2 demo but
still I buy the series.

Stachl
02-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by pdog1:
This is not a plane specefic problem this its like this for ALL the planes in the new patch.
Once again, if it ain't broke.............
I guess they will never learn.

Oh yes it is! The 109 is easily the most visible fighter in the game (at least at 1024 x 768). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Badsight.
02-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by F19_Ob:
I think the main thing that makes the 109 more visible is that it gets filled with dark black at 1000m and is still visible as a dot at 3000m.
sorry for quoting you , but that up above is exactly what i have been seeing regarding the 109 for a long time before v4.04

for me , its the eaiest single engine fighter to spot in the whole game

Jetbuff
02-27-2006, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Badsight.:
for me , its the eaiest single engine fighter to spot in the whole game
Which is funny considering how small the 109 was versus its contemporaries. Wasn't their an addage about how you could tell it was a German fighter when you couldn't see it or something like that?

Texan...
02-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Correct "adage", wrong context. If you don't see any plane at all, it's German. Reason being is they were all shot down.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://www.web-birds.com/8th/339/gun/r59-15.jpg

carguy_
02-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Compare I16 with 109F2 in terms of visibility when the LOD is seen from above.

Even the green camo on the F2 seems to be very visible whereas I16 disappears.

Generally German LODs are bigger(700-1200m) and since they have black cross with white they`re easy to ID because white and black gives flickering in IL2.

Same can bee seen on the LaGG series - they flicker.

La series are closest to 109 in being visible.They are easy to see,even the La7.

TX-Zen
02-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Jetbuff:
]
Which is funny considering how small the 109 was versus its contemporaries. Wasn't their an addage about how you could tell it was a German fighter when you couldn't see it or something like that?

If it's painted, it's Russian. If it's unpainted, it's American. If it's invisible, it's German.

Paraphrased statement about the conditions during the last months of the war. Russian camoflauged aircraft were everywhere, American's decided to save weight and drag by eliminating the paint from their aircraft and there were no Germans to be found http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

|CoB|_Spectre
02-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by TX-Zen:
...American's decided to save weight and drag by eliminating the paint from their aircraft and there were no Germans to be found http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

There's even more to it than that. The 8th Air Force decided to make bombers even more tantalizing by using highly visible bare metal to draw the Luftwaffe into engagement. The theory was that the fighters could then further attrit the German air assets. The bombers were serving as bait for destruction of the German airwar capability while simultaneously targeting their manufacturing capabilities on the ground. The book "To Command the Sky" offers excellent insight into the overall strategy of the USAAF in the ETO. Weight savings, not to mention fewer resources required in not having to paint, were a collateral benefit.

Jetbuff
02-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by TX-Zen:
If it's painted, it's Russian. If it's unpainted, it's American. If it's invisible, it's German.
Yep, that's the one... though I took the "if it's invisible" part to mean the Germans had so mastered the art of BnZ that you never saw them.

FiAW_Vaijy
03-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Bump