PDA

View Full Version : Medici double cross?

Stormpen
11-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Ok, Machiavelli is known to be a friend of Ezio in the game. Giovanni was an ally of the Medicis. But, after the Medicis were exiled, Machiavelli helped strengthen Florence against them. And when the Medicis finally get back, they torture Machiavelli, and then exile him. So does this mean the Medicis double cross Ezio, or what? Because he can't be both their allies, right?
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

EmperorxZurg
11-05-2009, 08:04 AM
my guess is no because the devs said that Ezio was like a hire hitman for the Medicis and they have a whole side story dedicated to you helping them and assassinating their enemies. People don't turn against someone they hire lol, they would just stop hiring him

CRUDFACE
11-05-2009, 08:24 AM
People don't turn against someone they hire

lmao, yeah they could, as only Ezio and the Medici know of him going around killing everyone. If they wanted to really silence the guy...that's the best way to do it.

I'm thinking that either they don't go in depth with their relationship, or it could be a really cool ending to the sidemissions for being the Medici hitman.

you can always start with one side and shift to the other. I think it'd be awesome if Ezio met Machiavelli because he was sent after him by Lorenzo.

bokeef04
11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Stormpen:
Ok, Machiavelli is known to be a friend of Ezio in the game. Giovanni was an ally of the Medicis. But, after the Medicis were exiled, Machiavelli helped strengthen Florence against them. And when the Medicis finally get back, they torture Machiavelli, and then exile him. So does this mean the Medicis double cross Ezio, or what? Because he can't be both their allies, right?
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

wasn't he imprisoned and tortured in 1512 which is after the game takes place, and seeing as he held office in florence for 14 years from 1498 i doubt he was exiled before the game ends, which means it won't matter

OHS_90
11-05-2009, 05:26 PM
^^^
What he said. In 1494 the Medici got the boot from Florence and a ultra puritan priest called Girolamo Savonarola took over. He ran Florence for four years before being excommunicated by the Pope and excecuted by the Florentines. Then Florence was a proper republic...until Lorenzo showed up again and put the political smack down on that idea in 1512.

Machiavelli himself worked in the republican government from 1489-1512, but I cant remember if he also worked in Savonarola's 'government'. Either way it is, as Bokeef04 said, unimportant as it fall out side of our time frame.

Rteague2566
11-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah I've actually been wondering this myself. Machiavelli actually end the end gets hired (I think) by the Medici family as a sort of political adviser after he wrote "The Prince" which was directed towards how the Medici Family should rule.. It was a sort of resume to how useful he could be. He did this because after he was exiled he found it actually painful to be out of the political arena so he tried to get on their better side to be reinstated. All of this was after the game ends though, but just some follow up material! Maybe you work with Machiavelli before he gets exiled?

How do I know this? I'm taking Intro into Western Civilization (till 1605) and right before the game comes out we began on the Renaissance =P I thought it was really cool to study the age of which all the people lived right before the release hah.

OHS_90
11-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Actually after writing the Prince Machiavelli continued to write his discourses on Livy, which is his political theory regarding Republics. He wrote The Price in about a year (IIRC) for a specific event, which you mentioned (i.e. trying to get a job in the Medici government). But in the end he didnt send it to them and only let some close friends read it. Afterwards he resumed his Discourses, and lived in exile for the rest of his life.

But the developers have said that Machiavelli teaches you (Ezio) 'tactics'. There was a thread a while back speculating what this meant, but I guess we will have to wait for the game to come out next year. Oh no wait thats just us PC gamers... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I know all this Machiavellian poliics because I have a book that is a compilation of all his works, although I first read it about two years ago when I was 17. Now I use it more as a reference book now. Hope you enjoy the history paper as well, sounds interesting.

Stormpen
11-08-2009, 02:11 AM
So your saying that Machiavelli was tortured by the Medici not because he worked against them, but because he was living the good life as a republican, while they were in exile?

P.S. Does the Pazzi Conspiracy happen during the events of the game?

Captain Tomatoz
11-08-2009, 02:20 AM

yes, it was confirmed in one of the videos http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and ezio plays a role in it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bokeef04
11-08-2009, 02:52 AM
So your saying that Machiavelli was tortured by the Medici not because he worked against them, but because he was living the good life as a republican, while they were in exile?

my point was he was tortured and exiled in 1512, outside the games timeframe, and here is a direct quote from The Prince:

"In November 1512, after he had already hopefully written letters of advice on government to the Medici, his movements were restricted. A few months later, suspected of being involved in a conspiracy against the new rulers, he was imprisoned and tortured."

it also says later that he was introduced to the Medici househould a few years later, so it would seem that the Medici had no grudge against him at all

Prol33tariat
11-08-2009, 10:14 AM
the medici were not some seamless coat of power, there were some whom thought elements of the house brought about the pazzi conspiracy, and the pazzi were merely the tools to take the blame.

and agian there machivelian stance can be seen in catherine du emdici of france management of her sons and her husband, in her kingdom.

suffice it to say, the medici were no saints.