PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR just came in

MrMojok
08-03-2007, 06:22 AM
I just got home from work and it had been delivered last night.

It's a TrackIR 4 with the clip that goes on your headset. They also included the hat-clip, but it looks like the power for the trackIR has to plug into the headset clip anyway, so I'm not sure why they sent it.

Any tips/suggestions before I dive into this? I have a thread bookmarked somewhere where people linked to their profiles... I expect I will be trying out different profiles on this thing for a while before I find one that I like.

Someone suggested loading up a game track and enabling external views, so you can look around during the recorded track and not worry about flying, to get familiar with it initially that way. That sounded like a good idea, so I think i will try that.

I have a 32" TV about fourteen feet behind me that the TrackIR will be able to see, and also right next to the TV is a glass door for the shelf where the stereo is. I hope the light and reflection from there don't mess it up (of course I can turn the TV off sometimes but other times there may be someone in here watching it... after they get bored of laughing at my geeky headgear that is).

I never did really get a good setup for the thumbhat I was using to pan views with before, and losing sight of other planes has been a constant problem for me. Especially when rolling/scissoring. I think those days will soon be at an end, once I figure this beast out.

I have been at work for twelve hours and as excited as I am to try this out, I must get some sleep first. I look forward to your replies and advice.

MrMojok
08-03-2007, 06:22 AM
I just got home from work and it had been delivered last night.

It's a TrackIR 4 with the clip that goes on your headset. They also included the hat-clip, but it looks like the power for the trackIR has to plug into the headset clip anyway, so I'm not sure why they sent it.

Any tips/suggestions before I dive into this? I have a thread bookmarked somewhere where people linked to their profiles... I expect I will be trying out different profiles on this thing for a while before I find one that I like.

Someone suggested loading up a game track and enabling external views, so you can look around during the recorded track and not worry about flying, to get familiar with it initially that way. That sounded like a good idea, so I think i will try that.

I have a 32" TV about fourteen feet behind me that the TrackIR will be able to see, and also right next to the TV is a glass door for the shelf where the stereo is. I hope the light and reflection from there don't mess it up (of course I can turn the TV off sometimes but other times there may be someone in here watching it... after they get bored of laughing at my geeky headgear that is).

I never did really get a good setup for the thumbhat I was using to pan views with before, and losing sight of other planes has been a constant problem for me. Especially when rolling/scissoring. I think those days will soon be at an end, once I figure this beast out.

I have been at work for twelve hours and as excited as I am to try this out, I must get some sleep first. I look forward to your replies and advice.

Feathered_IV
08-03-2007, 06:33 AM
I'll be interested to see how you go. I've been scrimping since January for the BoB rig, and I'm thinking of diverting some of my hard-earned towards tir4....

frior-one
08-03-2007, 06:55 AM
congratulations on your purchase!. there are many that fly here who would say that it is THE best thing they have bought, others may say rudder peddles but that is another story.
For an excellent guide on how to set it up have a look over at airwarefare.com where there is also some il2 profiles which may help to get you started, then you can "tweak" them as you get more confident.

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/tir_setup.htm

p-11.cAce
08-03-2007, 07:39 AM
When I first got my trackIR I hated it! I have a 32" lcd monitor just in front of me, and I was losing aircraft, getting disoriented - it was ugly. Now - I can not fly without it! You DO have to learn how to use it well, and with practice you will get better and better - in fact there are times when I am watching clips on youtube and my wife laughs when she catches me "trying" to pan the view moving my head.

A couple of quick suggestions - I use the hat "vector" clip and have had no problems...plus it does not take another usb slot on my already overloaded hubshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Having ANYTHING REFLECTIVE OR LIT in view of the TIR will cause major problems. I have a window behind me and in order to play I installed a "blackout" vinyl roller shade - during the day sunlight washed out the camera and at night the monitor glow reflecting it caused issues. To determine what will and will not be an issue start up the TIR and click "view" and "tracking". Put on your hat or headset clip and note where the green dots are. ANYTHING that shows up other than the green dots is external reflection that MUST be eliminated or the TIR will not work properly.

Setting up a custom profile is important - but I'd hold off for a little bit and get a basic understanding of how the unit works first. Use the "tracking" view and adjust the TIR camera position until your dots are centered in the screen when you are in your screen while sitting in a comfortable position. Map a convenient key to center the view in the hotkeys section of the TIR software (you will use this ALOT - I've got mine mapped to my x-52 thumbswitch.)

At first I'd just sit on the ground and practice looking around, learning to hold my head relatively still, and figuring out what head movements worked the best to allow me to feel comfortable.

Once again this is a learning process...at first it will seem really awkward but soon it will just be natural and you will not give it a thought.

Finally once you are comfortable with the software and the basic operation there are some great tutorials out there that explain how to set up a profile - be careful when tweaking those response curves a little goes a long way.

T_O_A_D
08-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Congrats and welcome aboard http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

You should be able to filter out the TV and Door, but that will weaken your reflectice source your wanting to track.

With some fidling though you should be able to come to a comprimise on your profile.

I would assume, since I don't have one with mine, the headset light source might overcome any and all your problems, with the TV and glass door.

Take a look at my sig and see if any of my old info on the TIR is of any use to you and understanding it.

The Tuterial over at airwarfare is about the best out there. It even mentions my fix for the older systems, even though it gives credit to Tully??? He's a good man so he deserves creditfor something http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

sgilewicz
08-03-2007, 09:01 AM
p-11 I hear you regarding the headset clip! I just got mine yesterday after flying with the hat/vector clip for a year and a half. I got the headset clip because a. I hate hats and b. the combination of hat and headset would get uncomfortable after an hour or so. When I set up the headset clip last night I had wires all over my lap! I will say it was significantly more comfortable but the contortions I've got to go through just to get the game going have me wondering if it's worth it. BTW Track IR IS the best thing since the joystick. I can't go back. EVER!

Bearcat99
08-03-2007, 09:07 AM
The only suggestion I will make is that you set a button somewhere to center the view. I have the 6 oclock position on my stick set to center.

p-11.cAce
08-03-2007, 09:29 AM
The worst part about the hat is the laughs from the wife http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif Considering the sim has been a part of my life twice as long as she has been you'd think it would get a bit more respect!

SeaFireLIV
08-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Thankfully, my daughter doesn`t say anything except maybe, "Are you on IL2?"

Slight problem with having that clip on your cap and no one saying anything is that you can end up going outside with the thing on, as I`ve nearly done!

sgilewicz
08-03-2007, 10:25 AM
SeaFire, when I was 21 I would have been mortified to be seen outside with that hat on but at 52 I just couldn't give a *hit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

p-11.cAce
08-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Beats the old days of going shopping with your "dot" still stuck to your forehead http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

T_O_A_D
08-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I use VAC to recenter, and with all the folks running around with bluetooths on their heads, I'd say a TIR tracker device would go by completley unoticed these days.

Short someone asking WoW where did you get that one, totally cool Dude!!!! How much for the lights on it? Does it do well in the wind, andy static?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Give it one week and you will wonder how you ever flew without it. You certainly do not need TIR to be successful by any means. And its no real advantage over you enemy but it sure is coooool. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

S!

Lurch1962
08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
How about setting up a portable divider or some kind of blind behind your seat, in order to block out the TV? And you'll have a little "privacy" so that others won't giggle at you when you're head's bobbing about! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

--Lurch--

bun-bun195333
08-03-2007, 05:45 PM
While you're getting used to it, set up a profile with a fat dead-zone so you can shoot. Gradually reduce the dead-zone until you're happy.

A month from now you'll wonder how you ever flew without TrackIR.

knightflyte
08-03-2007, 08:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
Beats the old days of going shopping with your "dot" still stuck to your forehead http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still remember my neighbour knocking on my door to help her move her car from the plowed snowbank.

YES, I was wearing "THE DOT."

My neighbour IS Indian.

And yes I did get a funny suspicious look.

knightflyte
08-03-2007, 08:25 PM
I love my peddles, but when my TrIR 1 died
i had to wait almost 2 months to afford a TrIR4.

I unplugged my peddles to experiment. Yup I could fly without peddles and use a trist stick.

I could fly with a great deal of discomfort without a TrIR..... but why would I want to. Longest two months in my simulation life.

MrMojok
08-04-2007, 03:01 AM
Wow.

This is the best money I've spent in a long time. It's going to take some time to get used to... I keep trying to sort of guide the gunsight with my view, if you know what I mean. But I am getting better with it.

No problems with the TV or the glass door at all. I haven't tried the hat-thing but from what I have read the trackclip pro tracks better anyway.

I've been messing around with the profiles some. I have been using Charvel's profile but I think for now I need a little bigger deadzone in the middle to stop myself spazzing out when I am trying to track a target. But I don't really understand changing the curves. The lower the curve is on the graph the less movement translates through, right? I guess I just need to play with it some more.

This thing really increases my immersion factor exponentially. Also freed up that hatswitch http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p-11.cAce
08-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Woot! Glad to hear that all is working well. I guess I should try the pro clip instead of the hat clip...maybe having the brighter lights instead of just the reflectors will help with my window reflection problems.
A good way to test your curves is to use the "view" "heads" function in the software. Tweak a curve, then check the heads to see the difference it makes.

T_O_A_D
08-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Yep, use your heads, you will learn more faster doing that than I can type and you can read, and explaination.

I changed my Hat button for zoom views, it was only natural to leave some sort views there, after so many years of panning around with it.

Example is in my sig.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Try the default profile and set the both axis to smooth.

S!

Choctaw111
08-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Ooh, you're going to love it. Just give it a couple days to get used to it. It does feel kind of weird at first but after a while you are going to wonder how you ever flew without it!

MrMojok
08-09-2007, 10:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
Try the default profile and set the both axis to smooth.

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After much playing I have decided this works best for me. The default profile and the "sample combat flightsim" profile, smoothed, are the bomb!

Thanks Havok.

zardozid
08-09-2007, 11:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Picture of Feathered_IV

Posted Fri August 03 2007 05:33 Hide Post
I'll be interested to see how you go. I've been scrimping since January for the BoB rig, and I'm thinking of diverting some of my hard-earned towards tir4.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the price is going up...

I too have been saving for a BoB SOW rig, with my eye on "Track IR4", and have noticed the "standard Track IR package" despairing from most of the cheaper on-line merchants. It is being replaced by a re-packaged "tracker" with a few extras...The cheapest price for the new package is $200.00, with a list of $250...
When I first started watching the price of "tracker" it was $145 on EBay and GoGamer...Now the cheapest price (if you can find it) is $159 (I just got mine for $144 @ "Human Solutions" but they have just raised the price to $159) and MOST places it is $179...

I discided to take the plunge now because I wanted to save some cash for my new SOW rig...

It bugs me that the price for Track IR4 keeps going up...It seems really "cut-throat".

<span class="ev_code_RED">Technology products are suppose to get cheaper over time NOT more expensive...</span> http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

MrMojok
08-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah, at the moment Naturalpoint have the corner on the market, so to speak.

Get it now, gents, I think you will be sorry if you don't have 6dof when BoB comes out. If you wait until BoB hits the shelves you may be paying ~$350 USD for TIR4.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Sticking with my $130 TIR 3 Pro w/VE for now thanks.