PDA

View Full Version : Important Anniversary

georgeo76
06-04-2006, 01:56 PM
17th Anniversary of Tiananm Square killings is today.

http://gopkorea.blogs.com/flyingyangban/images/tanks.jpg

Learn more, or remember Tiananm Square by watching this (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/tankman/view/) outstanding episode of Frontline.

RCAF_Irish_403
06-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Too bad the West buys all of its sh*t from Red China....Who decided these people would be our strategic partners anyway? Guarantee, the next big war will be with them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

leitmotiv
06-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Sobering to realize how much production is done in their gulag system as well as the government's ghoulish business in spare parts for humans. Don't break the law or your corpse will end up providing half a dozen wealthy people with transplants thanks to their generous death penalty legislation.

knightflyte
06-04-2006, 04:15 PM
What an amazing act of bravery and courage. I still get goosebumps and moistened eyes thinking of that solitary act which stopped a country's military might in it's tracks.

Humbling.....truly humbling.

I think most of us have the same viewpoint when it comes to soldiers doing their duty. I wonder what was going on in the mind of the tank driver?

RCAF_Irish_403
06-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know the name of that student that took on that column of T62's......is he still alive?

Zeus-cat
06-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I can't see the West going to war with China. Capitalism is on the march in China and they need us to buy their ****. The Chinese government has sold its soul and they know it. They can only stay in power by letting capitalism creep along. If they stopped it, the whole middle class would revolt. If anything, you would see a Chinese civil war before a China versus US war.

In addition, they hold enormous amounts of US debt, they can't afford (literally) to go to war with us.

RCAF_Irish_403
06-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I can't see the West going to war with China. Capitalism is on the march in China and they need us to buy their ****. The Chinese government has sold its soul and they know it. They can only stay in power by letting capitalism creep along. If they stopped it, the whole middle class would revolt. If anything, you would see a Chinese civil war before a China versus US war.

In addition, they hold enormous amounts of US debt, they can't afford (literally) to go to war with us.

One Word: Taiwan

Fox_3
06-04-2006, 05:42 PM
What I've never understood is why the other three tanks didn't just drive around the lead tank!

LEBillfish
06-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Well, that incident was an "over extreme" knee jerk reaction brought on by the waning days of old guard communism and the impetuous demands of a youth having more freedom than any had had since the communists took over.

Though no expert and simply going from the most basic information, you all really "MUST" look at the history of China in the 20th century to have any grasp of what happened there......Do not take what I'm about to say as gospel, look it up yourself yet this is what I have heard it was all about.

In contrast to say the Soviet Union or all other communist nations, China once being one of the greatest powers on earth had slipped over centuries to nothing short of a territory much of the modern world was simply taking advantage of at the expense of the people..........Opium, western money and values, religions, crime, war and so on simply had made China a land for the taking.

So the communists took it back and hard with a very clear plan.....That being take "everything" away from the people......Eliminate all foreign idea's and influence.....and quite simply eradicate any existing generation till what was left were fresh "appreciative" minds.

Execution, prison, on and on were utilized to a degree many forget about today...All the while pushing a communist doctrine of "state (meaning all other people) before self.......

Well, about the time of Kissenger & Nixon visits, the "Red Chinese" had pretty much decided it was time to start very slowly, very gradually giving back to the people the ability to own certain items, regain freedoms, and exposure to the outside world now hopefully "appreciative" of those things and hopefully not to squander them.

This continued on VERY gradually till the Tiananm Square incident where in students, youth like all others in the world, however now being granted more and more freedoms daily suddenly stood up enmasse and proclaimed, "we want all freedoms now"............The response by the old guard government over zealous, violent and excessive.......Hence the headlines and it's my understanding the shame of the old leaders realizing their over reaction (or really how they dealt with it).

Truth be known though it seemed as though initially it would be an end to the considerable freedoms all had been gaining.....In actuality the students did make a very dramatic impact as in a couple short years things began to dramatically change toward their wants the old regime possibly acknowledging it was time.

Granted, the fall of the Soviet Block naturally helped considerably, yet I think if you look closely at it China has never answered to Moscow like so many others.....In fact, their methods, intentions and end goals quite contrasting to those of all other communist governments.

Today we all know, it being a brave new world in China though the outsiders though influencing the culture restricted as to their control........In the end though, political, financial and military leaders however do agree on one thing;

Before the end of this century, just as European nations had, and then the United States, China "WILL" be the next "World Power" some saying by 2050.....They say that regarding all aspects be it financial, manufacturing, technology, military etc. just like the United States has been for some time.

If that is the case, no matter what wrongs the leadership has committed over the years it does say one thing........They must have done something right.

Those who died in Tiananm Square did NOT in vain.....Perhaps impatient not considering the grand scheme of things, yet the effort not wasted and lost.