PDA

View Full Version : Innocent questions about gunsights

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 09:39 PM
I have a question, well 2 actually, which I hope will be simple for one or more of you lot to answer, so any answers would be much appreciated.

There has been much talk of the Revi's modelling on the FW190 (enough already!!!!) - were there any special features about that sight?

And what,if any, was the advantage of the gyroscopic gunsight (used eg in P51D)? Did it correct for deflection?

thanks in advance.

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 09:39 PM
I have a question, well 2 actually, which I hope will be simple for one or more of you lot to answer, so any answers would be much appreciated.

There has been much talk of the Revi's modelling on the FW190 (enough already!!!!) - were there any special features about that sight?

And what,if any, was the advantage of the gyroscopic gunsight (used eg in P51D)? Did it correct for deflection?

thanks in advance.

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Have no clue...,but I heard that from the P-51D gunsight it was later developed that evoluated gunsight used on F-86, wich was usualy replaced by the pilot's with a Cewing gum sticked on the windscreen.
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

"The show must go on..."

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Well,

if you need some info on the basic working of gunsights (US/GAF) you may want to look here (sorry for the shameless plug). http://www.icaghq.com/icaghq/weaponsschool/gunnery.html

A gyroscopic gunsight just compensates - or should - for any sort of accelleration working on the airframe of a plane (turn, slip, skid etc.) and on the guns by that. Since those accelerating forces change the aiming points.

With the "fixed" sights the pilot had to make those changes of the aiming points by some sort of mental gymnastics.

Cheers
Snip

Remember that the first law of motion is to look where you're going. A man with a stiff neck has no place in an airplane.
TM 1-210, Elementary Flying, US AAC, 1942

XyZspineZyX
06-30-2003, 12:31 AM
thanks for link!

XyZspineZyX
06-30-2003, 12:31 AM
i believe the gyroscopic sights like on the 51 were the first "computer" gunsights. the sensors/gyro sensed the attitude of the aircraft, then adjusted the pipper accordingly to compensate for gravity drop, G forces, etc.
ie. if the gyro predicts less lead is required it would "slide" the pipper ahead of center so the pilot would have to let off his Gs in order to get it back on target.

XyZspineZyX
06-30-2003, 02:45 PM
I read an account by a Polish pilot (Kaz Budzik) who said that for strafing, the gyro sight was a dream come true- wherever the pipper was, the bullets went, but in air-to-air, the gyro sight had to 'settle' for a moment to allow accurate shooting.

XyZspineZyX
06-30-2003, 02:57 PM
cool - look forward to that on the P51D - I wonder, did any of the other US planes (like the P47?) have it?

Did any other side use anything comparable?