PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else looking forward to this game?

roybaty
03-24-2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page=/us/communityan...re.html&nav=/us/6/8/ (http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page=/us/communityandforums/empire.html&nav=/us/6/8/)

WTE_Googly
03-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Since the disappointment of medieval II, not really.

However if they do somehow manage a quality game like their first 2 titles I will eat my hat and buy it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jadger
03-25-2008, 12:05 AM
what was so bad about Medieval 2? it's a game, sure. for some reason I prefer the old non-graphic-heavy strategy games like EU2, HOI1&2, etc. etc. with EU3 and Medieval 2 you cant often see boundaries between lands, etc. etc. I been playing the total war series since Shogun, skipping Rome.

I personally think the continental European enlightenment era is not covered enough, I eagerly await the chance to crush the French with Frederick the Great's grenadiers.

SeaFireLIV
03-25-2008, 02:37 AM
I quite liked MTW2, still playing it now, in fact. There are a few things I don`t like about it, but it`s still pretty good.

I would like to see what Empire total war is like, but i`m really not a fan of the Napoleonic-type era, even if ships are represented, so it`s going to have to be impressive to get me.

If it becomes an arcade-kiddie fest (which there is a danger of), then i`ll be lost as a fan.

WTE_Googly
03-25-2008, 03:08 AM
I still play modded Medieval 2, but the disapointments to me were things like the diplomacy, and the AI (both campaign and battle).

There is also the general lack of purpose I feel was due to the win conditions.

I wouldn't call it the worst game I have ever played, but it just didn't live up to what I have come to expect from the TW series.

I do feel that game creation is going rapidly downhill, it is rare that you will find a game these days, such as IL-2, Red Baron II/3D, and the Close Combat series in the past, which still have a following after so many years. It is because flashy graphics in the more modern games take priority over gameplay.

Like I said, if Empire has the gameplay and innovation I have come to expect with previous TW games, I will buy it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I take promises and pre-release propaganda with a grain of salt these days, too many wasted dollars.

SeaFireLIV
03-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Googly:

I take promises and pre-release propaganda with a grain of salt these days, too many wasted dollars.

Yep. Agreed.

roybaty
03-25-2008, 05:57 AM
I have all the Totalwar series save for Shogun. Certain things do annoy me with Rome and Med 2, but I still enjoy them.

I was disappointed in the use of English and not the genuine languages of each faction in the last 2 releases. But there is a language pack mod for Rome.

WN_Barbarossa
03-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Rome: Total War is still my favourite strategy game, however with a mod.

http://www.rometotalrealism.org/

It takes out the ahistorical parts from the game, adds dozens of new units and cities so the game is much more exciting.

They're currently making a similar mod for MTW II. too.

Inadaze
03-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Been playing the Total War games since Medieval 1, I'm hoping that Empire will be a big jump forward, Medieval 2 seemed to me to be little more than Rome in new packaging. I've still played it and enjoyed it, but it's game life wasn't as long for me as I'd played Rome so much and it felt like more of the same with worse AI.

As a friend of mine described it: Medieval 2: The Total cash in...

I like the Napoleonic setting, and the sea battles could be good, I hope they get the cavalry right this time though, I hate the way the horses move en mass, like ants on speed, the way riders are glued to the back of the horses, and the way lances magically disappear when mounted troops swap weapons to swords, then can magically re-appear when they go back to lances.

I'll be waiting before I buy Empire:TW, the medieval2 experience has made me wary. Poor AI, big bugs, poor patches and basically a re-wrapped version of a previous game. They'll have to do better to get me paying my hard earned for Empire.

roybaty
03-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Also in Med 2 the statistical battle auto resolution is screwed. I can have 3 units of spearman, 3 of archers, and 1-2 cavalry units and when attacked by a 2-3 enemy units with a couple artillery pieces I have to fight the battle in real time even though it's clear that I have a superior force.

I think the artillery units weigh to heavily in the stats, I mean all I have to do is flank the enemy line with cavalry, and attack the artillery unit(s) from the rear, negating their standoff capability and forcing the ground troops within the range of my archers.

I don't like wasting my time fighting every simple/easy battle; I'd like to concentrate on the challenging ones.

I_KG100_Prien
03-25-2008, 08:03 AM
I enjoyed MTW2.. Not as much as Rome(with the total realism mod) however. But it did pass many hours.

As far as hype goes, really not many games actually end up living up to it.

Also in Med 2 the statistical battle auto resolution is screwed. I can have 3 units of spearman, 3 of archers, and 1-2 cavalry units and when attacked by a 2-3 enemy units with a couple artillery pieces I have to fight the battle in real time even though it's clear that I have a superior force.

That could happen in MTW1 as well, and also happened in Rome.

roybaty
03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Hmmm, don't recall it being an issue in RTW, main problem with that for me was the notorious ladder bug.

Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:
I enjoyed MTW2.. Not as much as Rome(with the total realism mod) however. But it did pass many hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also in Med 2 the statistical battle auto resolution is screwed. I can have 3 units of spearman, 3 of archers, and 1-2 cavalry units and when attacked by a 2-3 enemy units with a couple artillery pieces I have to fight the battle in real time even though it's clear that I have a superior force.

That could happen in MTW1 as well, and also happened in Rome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I_KG100_Prien
03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by roybaty:
Hmmm, don't recall it being an issue in RTW, main problem with that for me was the notorious ladder bug.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also in Med 2 the statistical battle auto resolution is screwed. I can have 3 units of spearman, 3 of archers, and 1-2 cavalry units and when attacked by a 2-3 enemy units with a couple artillery pieces I have to fight the battle in real time even though it's clear that I have a superior force.

That could happen in MTW1 as well, and also happened in Rome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had inferior forces take well fortified cities via the "auto-resolve" a couple of times in Rome.. After loading my save game and fighting the battles myself- they were massacres- the blood of my enemies painted the cobblestones http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

If you didn't play RTW with the "Rome Total Realim" mod- you missed out.. Made the game sooooo much better.

roybaty
03-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Of course i had the mod, whaddya think I am a barbarian? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roybaty:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:

That could happen in MTW1 as well, and also happened in Rome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had inferior forces take well fortified cities via the "auto-resolve" a couple of times in Rome.. After loading my save game and fighting the battles myself- they were massacres- the blood of my enemies painted the cobblestones http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

If you didn't play RTW with the "Rome Total Realim" mod- you missed out.. Made the game sooooo much better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I_KG100_Prien
03-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Of course i had the mod, whaddya think I am a barbarian? Veryhappy

You do strike me as a Gaul...

Don't worry my Phalanx's should be to you shortly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

huggy87
03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
I've bought and played all of their games, except for the alexander expansion for rome. I love the roman period, but never really was grabbed by the greeks history.

I agree, rome total realism is an excellent mod.

zardozid
03-25-2008, 10:12 AM
It looks interesting...

My brother is always asking me if their is a good "sea battle ship simulator" from the days of sail's and exploration...I think he has read the "master and commander" books and after hearing me talk about the fun I have with the "IL2", and my love of propeller driven fighters, I have wet his apatite for some kind of computer game. This game looks like it might fit the bill...

WOLFMondo
03-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Googly:
I still play modded Medieval 2, but the disapointments to me were things like the diplomacy, and the AI (both campaign and battle).

100% Agreed. I'm still a fan of the series but the battle AI, diplomacy and bugs with some 2 handed units was really disappointing. Not to mention they didn't bother to make any of the cities look like there real world counterparts.