PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Palm trees?

nealn
05-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Have been playing and loving IL2FB AEP for awhile now and finally broke down and bought Pacific Fighters. Am more in to the ETO but thought I would support Oleg and company.

I fired it up and flew a Pearl harbor mission and a Guadalcanal mission and was surprised to find the terrain very similar to the Crimea!

I know it is a small complaint, but I do think palm trees would add to the emersion of a pacific theater sim.

Did I load the sim wrong or miss a patc? Am I crazy. Well maybe but the last time I was in Hawaii I could swear there were palm trees.

Someone please enlighten me.

nealn

pacettid
05-09-2005, 11:23 AM
LOL, when it comes to the Hawaii map, palm trees are the least of what's missing...if I remember correctly Diamond Head is not there either.

I guess the good news is when I have a Zero chasing me around, I have enough to do just trying to keep from becoming "fish bait" to check out the scenery.

At least the scenery in the IL2 series doesn't have the CFS series "melted crayon" look to it.

Ankanor
05-09-2005, 12:27 PM
12 o'clock, 1 click and rapidly closing... Break, break!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Taylortony
05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
have you got all the trees on? aloha

BuzzU
05-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Try perfect mode.

nealn
05-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I Know where perfect mode is. Trees turned on? Is that in the config file?

nealn

VW-IceFire
05-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by nealn:
Have been playing and loving IL2FB AEP for awhile now and finally broke down and bought Pacific Fighters. Am more in to the ETO but thought I would support Oleg and company.

I fired it up and flew a Pearl harbor mission and a Guadalcanal mission and was surprised to find the terrain very similar to the Crimea!

I know it is a small complaint, but I do think palm trees would add to the emersion of a pacific theater sim.

Did I load the sim wrong or miss a patc? Am I crazy. Well maybe but the last time I was in Hawaii I could swear there were palm trees.

Someone please enlighten me.

nealn
Palm trees don't grow everywhere...Oleg pointed out to us that Palm trees were originally only put on the Pacific Islands map (came with AEP) because the impression in the US is that palm trees are everywhere in the Pacific.

Now its true...most of the maps look very similar to the other maps we've seen before...but lets face it...the Pacific Fighters game is based on a 7 year old sim originally designed with a single flyable aircraft (the IL-2) flying very close to the ground in desolate Russian stepes. We've come a long way...

Try going to Midway, Guadalcanal, Kyushu, and Okinawa. They are all a little different...they aren't perfect...but its not bad...and it works ok for me. Could be better...but at the moment, I'd just be happy with more maps of the same quality.

Taylortony
05-09-2005, 03:15 PM
you could add some trees in one of the read me files by altering the config, not sure what type but it does slow things up

LStarosta
05-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Now I have the completely opposite request...

Is there any way to turn those palm trees OFF? They really fricken kill my FPS...

Bremspropeller
05-09-2005, 04:49 PM
I got trees on a slider http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

LEXX_Luthor
05-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Star::
Is there any way to turn those palm trees OFF? They really fricken kill my FPS..
You can Destroy the Palm Tree Objects using the Destruction Slider in FMB. Destruction Intructions are in the Manual. At a certain destruction level (try 100% to Be Sure) all Palm Trees Objects will vanish from the map leaving nothing, not even rotting LoGGs, except for a healthy return of Framerate. The mercifully exterminated Palm Tree Objects will appear as a long list of bizzaro code at the end of the mission file...about 3000 lines of bizzaro code for the AEP Pacific Map -- this list will include the small number of Building Objects that get caught by your Destruction activities. This works for all maps that have Palm Tree Objects. However, this works only for Offwhine mission files --ask teh crazy~ivan about that.

LStarosta
05-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I was thinking more about Dogfight maps... Oh well.. I thought I'd ask anyway...