PDA

View Full Version : What about BoB...Shockwave BoB that is.

Maico_249th
11-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Hi All:
As most hard core simmers, I have followed with intense excitement the coming days waiting for this new title from Shockwave to hit my mailbox. The old sim was a bit entertaining and after looking at the new screenies and listening to the reviews decided to give it a whirl.
Let me give you my BLUF or bottom line up front. IMO the game is beautifull but broken. The grafics are amazing as long as you dont look at the ground. The aircraft, sky, clouds and sunsets look unbeleivably good. THe water is very, very nice. But the ground, forests and buildings are a darn shame. I cant beleive this made it to the store so....well, unfinished. In some aspects this reminds me too much of my experiece with Strike Fighters and B-17. Games that were entretaining but frustrating. My first day with BoB was frustrated by bad grafics. I thought that would be the end of it. But I found out there was a patch and then I turned up the res to 1600 x 10?? @ 85 hz. Instead of the usual 4xAA and 4xAF, I maxed out the 6800Ultra settings. I went from not interested to WOW! Suddenly the Sim was playable. I am charmed by the grafix. Yes some parts are prettier that FB, (sorry Oleg). Of course this is a new engine compared to Olegs more "mature" grafix {and Olegs sim works).
In BoB the sounds are by far the best I ever heard. When an aircraft goes by the sound is very convincing. The sound of the guns is addictive. Oh, and the best flak I have ever heard or seen, EVER! While in combat the flak is unrelenting. Whether flying Brit or German the flak surrounds you. It's sound can be madning sometimes. THis adds so much feeling to the immersion factor. Of course after a few minutes you realize that even when you are rocked by flak, you are not harmed by it. Or at least it felt this way to me. Another good aspect was seeing all these aircraft in the air at once. It gets about as hairy as a friday night on an arcade server with all them planes wizzing about. I became really good at dying. Intercepting bombers allways turns into a flurry of dogfights and loud flak bursts all over the sky. Your pulse races, you curse the flak (especially if flying brit) and your neck strains to keep your six clear. This is where the sim really shined, total immersion in the feeling of combat. Track IR support is awesome and works like a charm. Just make sure you enable it in game. Also Vector expansion is offered but I dont have that yet so I cant comment.
Anyhow, dont go thinking you are going to give up FB yet. No, BOB has only four flyable planes. Six if you count Spit and Hurri B models. THere is the Stuka and the 109E4. Thats it. Thing is I could enjoy this sim but the crashes to desktop will not stop. I had about a dozen in three days of flying. Another distractor is the lack of punch in the guns. Seems very had to make a kill. The bombers are especially hard to kill since you have only pea shooters in the Brit kites. But the cannons on the 109 seem no better off. At one point I am chasing a one-0-nine and hitting him over and over. I give him three or four good long burst from about 150m. At one point I think to myself "no plane could have taken that" Then he comes after me.... Not very realistic IMO. The upside is that when you get a kill you jump for joy out of your seat. Another anoyance is that as good as the sound is, when you are hit it takes a while to realize you have been hit. By then it is ussually too late and you are smoking or worse.
My next frustration was with the controls. I can't work out why the controls are so quirky. The commands apear in abreviations that make no sense. The key card is of some help but some of the commands are not what it says there neither. So I set a few simple commands and axis to my stick and off I go.The controls on this baby need to be sorted. I set them and reset them and they will only save sometimes. This is especially anoying when the Joy looses its axis. The rest of the game settings do the same thing. Some settings like air collision must be turned on every time I restart the sim.
I fly FB/PF every day and must say that the BoB flight models is even harder. Trying to line up a shot is mission impossible. It seems to take some of the fun out of the sim. Then there is diving and throttle control. Get hamfisted with this sim and there are too many ways to get in trouble. It is a big challenge to fly this sim.
In the end I made my own BoB scenerio using FB and the gulf of Finland Map. No, we have no Spitfire I and no D017 but who cares. After a long weekend of BoB, I had to missed FB/PF. To tell the truth, you never know how good you got it till you try something else...
BoB is a good sim. The grafix need to be seen to be belived. I think it has entretainment value. But there are serious problems. However even if I could return it for my money back I would still keep it. Its worth a fly once or twice a week. All I can say is it's beautifull and sounds great... but its broken.

micksaf
11-14-2005, 02:39 AM
Man I bought that sim some time ago and since I'm rather suspicious I waited for other players to comment before installing it, and since some of them complained about CTDs I waited for the first patch, then the second, and finally installed it on my 3 year old rig, and even with details set at mini...I just CAN'T play cause I get a CTD as soon as the mission has loaded !!
I've been playing IL2/FB/AEP/PF for 3 YEARS without problems....
My rig :P IV 2,66Ghz, NVidia 4200 Ti 128MB,
1 Gig ram.
So I'm waiting for the 3rd patch .....
( X'Mas ??)

msalama
11-14-2005, 03:07 AM
I fly FB/PF every day and must say that the BoB flight models is even harder.

That's what I've heard too, but I also heard that stalls and spins, landings and taxiing are badly off. But this is all hearsay, so anyone knowledgeable care to comment on the FMs a bit?

BSS_Goat
11-14-2005, 06:47 AM
Graphics: OK but not as good as IL2

FM: You think you got wobble with 4.02?

CTD: been playing IL2 since IL1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif and never had a CTD. With WOV I was getting 1-2 per HOUR with patches.

Sound: Good at first then seems very gamey

Key assignment: Change it, play some, get CTD lose all key assignment. Start over.

Campaign: Seems good if you can get into it. The IL2 user campaigns are better.

Large formations: Like this part(100's on screen at a time)

Frame rates: could not get over the mid 20's. I can get mid 40's IL2

Overall view: coulda woulda shoulda been great but its only OK. I was back playing IL2 after 10 days

All IMHO of course.

BTW Anyone want to buy my copy w/ box and manuals?

Deedsundone
11-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Not sure if the sound is the best.I have not flown a real plane but I doubt you would hear seagulls from inside of your cockpit when you fly by a fishingboat?But I like the flak sound though.Otherwise I agree.

nealn
11-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Agree with above.

It is an interesting diversion until Oleg finishes his BOB. (Please let it be soon!) But am mostly back to flying Il2. Il2 still rules the air. Best flight sim ever IMHO.

Neal

Maico_249th
11-21-2005, 01:53 AM
Well, its back to the Pacific front. This BoB has more problems than I care for. There is a certain charm to its aircraft but not worth the hastle. CTD's are at least one per hour. The ground looks horrible.
I will patiently wait for Oleg's BoB.

BSS_Goat
11-21-2005, 07:12 AM
New patch out 2.3 ...... if anyone still cares.

Kwiatos
11-21-2005, 08:20 AM
... and still no spins, AI lag during manouvers ( or stutter)

BSS_Goat
11-23-2005, 06:04 AM
Patched up to 2.3 played 1 mission. Went to the settings page and changed 1 or 2 thing ****BLINK BLINK**** crash to desktop. Stay away from this bug ridden joke of a sim.

BTW: If anyone wants to try it out themselves, my copy is getting cheaper after each patch.

micksaf
11-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Same with me...3rd patch and I still haven't been able to play AT ALL !! since I get a CTD soon as the mission has finished loading...and believe me folks that AIN'T funny !!

MadBadVlad
11-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Could have been great fun in the campaign but for the constant CTDs. I tried all the patches and even 2.3 CTDs after half an hour. As I don't want to waste time playing the campaign then losing progress to a CTD I have dumped the game back on the shelf and it will probably stay there unless they miraculously stop all CTDs. A great shame as the concept is excellent.

SeaFireLIV
11-23-2005, 10:12 AM
The game itself was pretty good and I seldom had crashes. However, it`s no IL2 (and it would be a mistake to expect that). There are a lot of little oddities like missing gauges, strange flying AI sometimes and the detection collision model isn`t too great - I can tip a bomber`s wing with an I16 in IL2, no way can I fly in a close RAF fornmation and survive in BOBWov.

But for what it does; fleets of aircraft, the insane massed battles more arriving/leaving dynamic PLUS blind AI in clouds, it`s very good.

A pity it had such a bad, rocky start for a sequel. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif