PDA

View Full Version : Cessna flight control mechanics

Sigi_di_Capri
09-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi guys,

I'm studying Human movement/Human kinetics in college (Haagse Hogeschool in the Hague, Holland) and I'm currently working on a 10 week project, together with 3 other people, concerning modifying a single engine sports aircraft for people with limited to no function in their legs.
In order to be able to develop a system that "hooks into" the existing mechanical flight control system, we'd need good insight on the exacts of that mechanical flight control system.

My question is, does anyone have blueprints/technical drawings (of the flight control system) of a Cessna 172 Skyhawk and want to share them with the projectgroup and my? Or does anyone know a resource to get these from?

The reason I ask this question here is that I think there is a lot of knowledge and resource here on both WW2 air combat and aviation in general. I hope someone can help me with this.

Many thanks in advance,

Sigi

Sigi_di_Capri
09-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi guys,

I'm studying Human movement/Human kinetics in college (Haagse Hogeschool in the Hague, Holland) and I'm currently working on a 10 week project, together with 3 other people, concerning modifying a single engine sports aircraft for people with limited to no function in their legs.
In order to be able to develop a system that "hooks into" the existing mechanical flight control system, we'd need good insight on the exacts of that mechanical flight control system.

My question is, does anyone have blueprints/technical drawings (of the flight control system) of a Cessna 172 Skyhawk and want to share them with the projectgroup and my? Or does anyone know a resource to get these from?

The reason I ask this question here is that I think there is a lot of knowledge and resource here on both WW2 air combat and aviation in general. I hope someone can help me with this.

Many thanks in advance,

Sigi

PBNA-Boosher
09-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Call Cessna. Tell them what you're doing. I'm sure they'd be glad to help.

Taylortony
09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
I have the complete Cessna new Cessna build 172R/S.. 182S/T,, T182T...206H/T206H..parts, Structural repair wiring and maintenance manuals on 3 Cessna CD's which I use as part of my job (Licenced Aircraft Engineer), If you drop me a PM me with an address I will see if i can find you a set of expired cd's and post them to you... they won't neccessarily be blueprint drawings, but will be the maintenance manuals explaining the systems complete with exploded maintenance and repair drawings for the aircraft.... Will that help you?

Yep Just checked have a complete set from 2004 sitting here you can have, the only real difference between the latest version will be Service Bulletin updates and the odd manual amendment.

will contain
€ Maintenance Manual
€ Parts Catalog
€ Avionic Installations Service & Parts Manuals
€ Progressive Care & Continuous Inspection Program Materials
€ Miscellaneous Cessna Maintenance Manuals & Parts Publications
€ Service Bulletins/Letters/Instructions (including the updates)

I'm in the UK BTW so you will have em in a day or so

Sigi_di_Capri
09-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I think that would help a great deal, thanks! PM sent.

leeG727
09-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Hand control for the ruder pedals in addition to the control wheel has been done. With some searching you should be able to find a sketch or drawing.

But the ultimate hands only sport plane was the Ercoupe. Designed in the 30€s it was spin proof and used linked controls (no pedals). It has a tricycle landing gear because in a crosswind it is landed in a wing-level crab.

darkhorizon11
09-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah at an absolute minimum you should purchase a C172 Pilot Operations Handbook. Just search on Cessna, Google, or whatever and you should find something! Viel Gluck!

Sigi_di_Capri
09-26-2005, 06:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leeG727:
Hand control for the ruder pedals in addition to the control wheel has been done. With some searching you should be able to find a sketch or drawing.

But the ultimate hands only sport plane was the Ercoupe. Designed in the 30€s it was spin proof and used linked controls (no pedals). It has a tricycle landing gear because in a crosswind it is landed in a wing-level crab. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true, there are several solutions for the problem we have to solve, but as you imagine, we wouldn't be loved for blatantly copying those ideas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.
We will be designing this hand control "add-on" for the Cessna 172. It's a choice we made in order to simplify the process for now.

The plan is to make a simplified model (flight control interface and mechanics + pilot seats only) of the cockpit of this airplane in Solidworks and then "plug in" the hand control "add-on" in there for conceptual purposes.

Will have a good look at the ercoupe, thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Sigi

Taylortony
09-27-2005, 05:39 AM
Posted today 12 pm.....

Cessna do a set of rudder pedals that clip over the originals to extend there reach for short legged people, they cost a fortune, but the mounting is already designed, perhaps they would be a good starting point for your design