PDA

View Full Version : ASW Weapons: Grappling Hooks?

NawlinzVoodoo
05-07-2005, 08:41 AM
First timer here! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I was reading the manual about the ASW weapons in the sim, Depth charges and Hedgehogs. I remember seeing a movie where the destroyer's or enemy ships would hang grappling hooks by chains over the sides in the water and try and snag the sub. Was this a common practice? Were they really used? And could they be implemented in the sim? Thanks in advance.

rudra92
05-07-2005, 09:09 AM
I have been thinking about that. The movie is "Below", a rather bad thriller or something like that.

SubSerpent
05-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Well I think that if they snagged a large enough sub that the surface ship would be the doomed one. The sub could crash dive and flank engines causing the surface ship to take on water and sink due to the weight/force of the sub. It would be like trying to reel up a whale onto a small motorboat. If I was a surface ship captain, I wouldn't risk it. I would rather use depth charges or hedgehogs if they were available to me rather than grappling hooks.

Hyper_Fish
05-07-2005, 07:47 PM
It'd be a hell of a snapshot to show your grandkids though...

"Once when grandad was out fishing off the coast of Dover, he caught this f***ing great whale, and it was full of Germans!!!"

I wonder what kind of bait you'd need...