PDA

View Full Version : 357th Pilot Losses

IL2-chuter
09-19-2005, 02:56 AM
I was reading through the 357th website and came across a list of all the pilots lost. I quickly drew up a list of KIA/MIA causes. It was interesting to me, anyway. . .

Number of pilots lost to:

Enemy Fighters: 15
Enemy Flak: 11
Accidents: 14
Collision (friend): 7
Collision (Foe): 3
Airframe Failure: 4
Engine Failure: 3
Friendly Fighters: 1

Unknown (i.e. weather): 15

More losses to operations/training than to combat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

The accidents include a plane being struck by a released drop tank.
A lot of guys flew off and disappeared in the weather.

Carry on.

IL2-chuter
09-19-2005, 02:56 AM
I was reading through the 357th website and came across a list of all the pilots lost. I quickly drew up a list of KIA/MIA causes. It was interesting to me, anyway. . .

More losses to operations/training than to combat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Carry on.

BigKahuna_GS
09-19-2005, 05:50 AM
S!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">More losses to operations/training than to combat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is common in most fighters groups. Look at the Corsair and Hellcat stats. More aircraft lost to operational accidents than combat against the enemy.

_

IL2-chuter
09-19-2005, 01:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 609IAP_Kahuna:
S!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">More losses to operations/training than to combat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is common in most fighters groups. Look at the Corsair and Hellcat stats. More aircraft lost to operational accidents than combat against the enemy.

_ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, if I recall correctly the USAAF lost more than 9000 people stateside during the war.

MLudner
09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IL2-chuter:

Carry on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it's like that all around. Even in the infantry you're more likely to be killed by disease or accident than the enemy.