PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have this book?

FlakMagnent
01-04-2005, 08:20 PM
My Great Uncle died a few years ago and I was left most of his literature. Among these were a two book set called Janes Fighting Aircraft of WW2 and Fighting Ships of WW2. Both were published in 1989 and cost $80 USD each. I was just wondering if anyone else has this book and has anyone offered either of them to help Oleg with the Stats of the planes and the ships of WW2

dugong
01-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Are they absolutely huge? I think I might have the WWII plane one. It is like 500 pages and 12" x 14" ? If that is the book, there is a jet age companion book. I have that one too. They are upstairs at the moment, I am in a new house relaxing and I have no desire to trudge up the stairs to look at the exact title.

I bought mine at The Loft in New York City years ago after going to the Edward Hopper show. And yes, if those are the books of which you speak or not, they are a great read. A dude named Watannabe illustrated them I believe. Being an artist myself, I can attest to his technical ability and his prolific prowess.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-04-2005, 09:31 PM
These books are fantastic. I got them both for a great deal in a small bookstore in Valdusta (that's probably spelled wrong), Georgia about a year and a half ago and I was totally impressed. They are an absolute wealth of information for military junkies. I would wager that Oleg and team have reviewed these, Jane's has been the a highly trusted authority on military hardware for some time. If you watch the movie clear and present danger, the main character jack ryan actually consults one of jane's books when he's trying to identify a specific missle, pretty cool I thought seeing as the guy was supposed to be working for the CIA.

wayno7777
01-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Here in Eastern PA you can get both of those and Jane's WWI books for 14.95 each. At a store called Ollies.

FlakMagnent
01-04-2005, 09:53 PM
The reason I got the books was not only because I liked them but because me and my Uncle would look at it together and talk about them. He was in the Navy himself before I was born. I had another Uncle who served in the PTO of WW2 and was an officer on board a destroyer there. Actucally he served on 3 ships as two he was aboard was sank out from under them by the Tojo's. The two ships he was on were sank in the same day. BTW does anyone know how I can find info on him by using his serial number from his dog tags? He died when I was really young and I would like to find out more about his service. After he died, his sons and daughter moved away and I have not heard from any of them in over 20 years and dont know how to contact any of them for any info. Any help in this area would be really really appreciated.

Sammy(Godly1)Busby
http://www.dagameboyz.net
Go and check out my reviews of the IL2 series of flight simulations!

MO_JOJO
01-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Hey, FLAK.

Here's a site that should point you in the right direction.

http://www.hazegray.org/faq/faq.htm

FlakMagnent
01-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Thanks MO_JOJO! Im sure I can find something out with this info. I owe you eternally for that. You dont know what it means to me to find something out about him as I never knew him. Thanks again!

S 8
01-05-2005, 03:06 AM
I have Janes Fighting Aircraft of WW2.Pretty neat reading.Another one I can recommend is one called "The complete book of fighters".The name says it all.That is one big and heavy book.

WOLFMondo
01-05-2005, 03:17 AM
My grandfather bought me Janes Fighting Aircraft of WW2 when I was a kid, kept me entertained for along time. It certainly is 1 big list of planes.

m.manson2004
01-17-2005, 08:04 AM
SADDAM HUSSEIN had them all,i'm not kidding.
manson

icrash
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
I can go to the USS Texas giftshop and get the blue prints for BB35. I get the feeling it wouldn't help, even if the Texas was in all the theaters.

MaxBruder
01-17-2005, 03:47 PM
I bought a book last year at Sams Wholesale Club titled, FLIGHT 100 Years Of Aviation published by DK books with the help of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum 440 pages-Very Nice for about $30.00