PDA

View Full Version : Better than Brotherhood?

The_red_egg1
11-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Question from a possible buyer here...
I've always had negative thoughts about AC:R, since I think that Ezio has been milked too much etc. After seeing some gameplay, it does honestly just look like Brotherhood with a new skin.

Is there any difference that should make me buy the game?

Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Red Egg.

Assassin_M
11-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Well, its not a SKIN on ACB, the city is different, and the culture gives it a fresh feeling; Istanbul is like nothing you`v seen, its so diverse and much more alive than Rome, The Hookblade also provides a new layer of Fun to Navigation and Combat; The Bombs also provide a bit of Tactics to how you take an approach.
The story of Desmond doesnt advance much, but alot of questions will be answered, such as Lucy being alive or dead, what happened to 16, what happened to Altair, what happened to the first civilization and how do Altair, Ezio and most importantly Desmond fit in the grand plan.
The story is a bit longer than Brotherhood`s but shorter than AC II, its a lot more engaging than Brotherhood and takes a more mature Approach to Assassinations, Politics and Mistakes.
and remember this is just "IMHO" kind of thing..

ProdiGurl
11-20-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't think it's a new skin - there's more maturity in Ezio & in the game - new things are added, some taken away . .

They're different in their own right. I personally prefer a flirty, young, hot Ezio that has his fun, that's not in this game (so far, I'm in Seq. 4).

'_M' is pretty spot on imo.

ProdiGurl
11-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by The_red_egg1:
Question from a possible buyer here...
I've always had negative thoughts about AC:R, since I think that Ezio has been milked too much etc. After seeing some gameplay, it does honestly just look like Brotherhood with a new skin.

Is there any difference that should make me buy the game?

Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Red Egg.

It depends on how much you like the game series. The missions in this one are alot more fun to me for some reason - I had some trouble w/ hating some areas/missions in ACB. They got long and tedious to me.

The Recruiting Assassins is more detailed and the training missions have to do w/ taking over cities this time (not just random missions to gain XP).
If you get your Master Assassin to level 15, you can bypass having to defend that Den in that city on the main map. (helpful if you don't want to bother with that new feature).

You also do 2 missions w/ each Master Assassin & those have been so far.

The only 'skins' I'd say there are is you're still burning the towers down, rebuilding & buying properties, (bookstores replaced that art dealers, doctor, tailor, bank & blacksmiths)& the Guilds.
There's still 3 and 1 of the 3 is changed since the Middle East doesn't take too well to open Prostitution lol.
No Courtesans anymore, but belly dancing/fire breathing gypsies (Romanies).

Bombs are added now - adds another element as you have to figure out which ones to use where . . gain the ingredients & put them together yourself.

Missions are more open to you doing things the way you want to - not as programmed as ACB which in some missions felt scripted in how you had to carry them out.
For instance, to get 100% sync, the sync only involves the first part of the mission . . after you hit a checkpoint, the sync doesn't apply anymore & you're free to adlib it yourself.

I'm still early in the game tho - that might change.

IntoxicEIGHT
11-20-2011, 11:21 AM
its better than brotherhood

tjbyrum1
11-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Yes. That is my answer.

I am only on Sequence 3, and have been playing for a good while.

It is not entirely a reskinned model of Brotherhood, it just uses the same engine. There's no point in using a different engine if the first one can be recycled, rebuilt, redone, and it still works.

I will take my time to explain to you why Revelations is better.

Gameplay

Gameplay was improved greatly, or at least it has to me. The Hookblade offers a few new things. It allows you to tear down scaffoldings, an alternate method of swinging from hanging flower pots, ability to jump higher while climbing, trip up guards and civilians, and it is also very cool to use in combat.

Combat is generally the same, but with some minor differences. Nevertheless, the game feels exceptionally harder than Brotherhood. For one thing the Guards are now able to kick you and will hit you, so it's not just 'Defend the whole time'. Also, they can throw knives at you (during combat) which are unblockable, uncounterable, and has so far hit me every single time they throw one. Some Guards carry muskets which means you have to use your own ranged weapons on them cause they run away if you get to close and will post up elsewhere to shoot you; some guards are protected by shelters which require ranged weapons to kill them (or bombs). I do not think you can counter the Seekers anymore, cause I haven't been able to. The Execution Streaks are still here... but they're a welcomed feature cause it can be useful in combat and makes the game much more fast-paced, however these streaks are rendered useless if you got muskets on your tail. Guards also seem to attack more. I noticed that after one guard attacked me, another guard was about to attack me, sometimes one right after the other.

Bombs offer a unique crafting feature that is interesting to say the least... maybe it's just me cause I want to know what else I should make. You get all kinds of stuff to make them with and it is interesting to see what you can come up with. Bombs offer a new way to combat guards and other things.

The Assassin Recruits have been expanded on greatly. Rome was a "Come in, beat us, we're out" kind of game, but Constantinople seems to be an ongoing war between the Templars and Assassins. They attack you as well as you attack them. Assassins are more unique this time around and offers slightly more customization options. I enjoy them.

Setting

Constantinople is beautiful. The vibrant colors are a welcomed addition after playing around the bland city known as Rome. The colors, the people, the variety... it's all better than Rome. Much better. The entire place is a city, which is a good thing considering Assassins Creed works better in a city.

I don't know what else to say, just that Constantinople is a wonderful setting.

Characters

So far, the characters I have came across seem to be better than the past characters. For on thing they walk the same speed as Ezio.

But they also seem more fleshed out. I guess it's just me though. Yusuf Tazim for example has a cheerful and fun lookout on life and seems to enjoy it. Sofia however seemed curious, knowledgeable, and overall different from Yusuf. Leandros even seemed to have a distinct personality, although you only saw him at the beginning of the game.

Even the recruits seem to have their own personalities.

Storyline

So far, it feels better than Brotherhood.

Brotherhood was all "The Borgia have attacked us. I will ride to Rome and rebuild the Brotherhood and bring down the Borgia." And that was it. It just felt compacted and overall wasn't what it should have been about.

Revelations is about a Templar+Assassin war, and is much more interesting and diverse.

But I can't say much else, I am only on Sequence 3.

itsamea-mario
11-20-2011, 11:33 AM
No it is completely different than brotherhood.

It feels like it's taking lots of elements from all the games.
Wether that makes it less in itself is debatable, but it's much better IMO.