PDA

View Full Version : Bomber AI (4.08? Please?)

Tater-SW-
12-30-2006, 12:21 PM
The bomber AI has numerous problems, as many have stated. Light/medium bombers with any strafing capability return and use "wheel of death" tactics that results mostly in the death of the bombers.

It used to be that you could fake the AI into skip bombing, this is no longer the case. Oleg said that the minimum alt for AI bombers was increased to 140m. On top of that, it's not just a value at which the AI "acts better," but a HARD limit. Set a waypoint below that, and they climb to 140m, period.

Oddly, such behavior is not all bombers, just all US bombers, as well as the he111, Pe2-3 and ju88. The Su-2, for example, can be set to fly happily at 10m. The B5N can as well.

This problem has many implications. It used to be you could fake a more realistic torpedo attack in a mission by having the VTs come in at low alt and drop the torpedo with a gattack withOUT the target being "SET." This would allow you to have the target ship turn to evade the attack. Now, the only way to get a VT plane low enough is to SET the target, if the target moves, the planes will swing around.

Skip bombing with AI is also now impossble.

I wish this could be addressed. We really really need a waypoint toggle that tells the AI to do exactly what we tell it to, damn the consequences. Ie: I say fly 400kph at 1m alt, the plane just does it.

Tater-SW-
12-30-2006, 12:21 PM
The bomber AI has numerous problems, as many have stated. Light/medium bombers with any strafing capability return and use "wheel of death" tactics that results mostly in the death of the bombers.

It used to be that you could fake the AI into skip bombing, this is no longer the case. Oleg said that the minimum alt for AI bombers was increased to 140m. On top of that, it's not just a value at which the AI "acts better," but a HARD limit. Set a waypoint below that, and they climb to 140m, period.

Oddly, such behavior is not all bombers, just all US bombers, as well as the he111, Pe2-3 and ju88. The Su-2, for example, can be set to fly happily at 10m. The B5N can as well.

This problem has many implications. It used to be you could fake a more realistic torpedo attack in a mission by having the VTs come in at low alt and drop the torpedo with a gattack withOUT the target being "SET." This would allow you to have the target ship turn to evade the attack. Now, the only way to get a VT plane low enough is to SET the target, if the target moves, the planes will swing around.

I wish this could be addressed. We really really need a waypoint toggle that tells the AI to do exactly what we tell it to, damn the consequences. Ie: I say fly 400kph at 1m alt, the plane just does it.

Tater-SW-
12-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Note also that the AI will behave differently with no enemy objects nearby. It seems like it should be possible to tell the AI to ignore the existance of enemies, at least in terms of maneuvers.

Antoninus
01-05-2007, 03:44 AM
This important issue deserves a bump before it dissappears unnoticed to the second page while Oleg and the dev. team are in holidays.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Actually everybody talks about aerial combat. I maintain that hitting ground targets, and especially ships is more dangerous than aerial combat. - Joe Foss

JG53Frankyboy
01-05-2007, 04:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
Note also that the AI will behave differently with no enemy objects nearby. It seems like it should be possible to tell the AI to ignore the existance of enemies, at least in terms of maneuvers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the bombers should only attack these targets when be setted to them at the attackwaypoint - in all other cases they should just do a levelbombattack.

and that the A-20C is going in a turning dogfight when engaged with enemy fighters is weird as hell http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif totaly useless as AI bombers in COOPs and singleplayermissions.

i guess the B-25J is doing the same ?

arrow80
01-06-2007, 03:12 PM
well the bomber gunners on ACE are even more deadly than in previous versions (no placebo, tested). So if anyone complained before, now it is even worse.

JG53Frankyboy
01-08-2007, 04:22 AM
bump http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

the AI change of the A-20C, B-25J and all 4 versions of the Avenger to an AI like the B-25C, He111, B-17, B6N and so on, would improve their use in COOPs and singleplayer missions a lot.

even the Pe-2s with their forward firing guns are doing normal horizontal bombing attacks over enemy targets if they are not set at them at their attackwaypoint !

Shakthamac
01-11-2007, 09:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tater-SW-:

This problem has many implications. It used to be you could fake a more realistic torpedo attack in a mission by having the VTs come in at low alt and drop the torpedo with a gattack with target being "SET." Thsi would allow you to have the target ship turn to evade the attack. Now, the only way to get a VT plane low enough is to SET the target, if the target moves, the planes will swing around.

I wish this could be addressed. We really really need a waypoint toggle that tells the AI to do exactly what we tell it to, damn the consequences. Ie: I say fly 400kph at 1m alt, the plane just does it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Tater-SW-
01-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Note that I typoed and said the VT attack would be made with the SET used, I meant WITHOUT the SET used. Edited in original post

Marcel_Albert
01-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Good request , i really hope that 1:C will have the time to work on it before releasing 4.08 , it's important online and offline for the credibility of the missions , good post Tater , i hope Oleg or his team is aware of this AI problem .<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Non Nobis Domine , Non Nobis , Sed Nomini Tuo Da Gloriam."
In Memoriam Jacques de Molay .