PDA

View Full Version : IL2 1946 beginner

mattaylor817
04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
ok so i bought the latest game.
1. i'm having problems with the auto leveler while practicing some bombing runs. the plane banks and slowly careems towards the earth while i'm workin with the bomb sights. maybe i'm doing it wrong? i'm not sure.
2. i noticed in pacific fighters that you have a digital read out of your speed and altitude located in the bottome left hand corner. same with the waypoints on the map. did they remove these features in this latest version?
3. i tried flyin some jets also. i caught my engine on fire 3 times in a row. once while i did a dive and twice cutting my power to quickly. anyone know the physics to this?

Skycat_2
04-12-2007, 11:01 PM
1. I don't know.

2. Check your difficulty settings. I believe that the toggles for the speedbar (the info in the lower left corner) and the map icons are on the second menu of Difficulty Options.

3. The only advice I can give you about the jets is to move the throttles smoothly and gradually. When you fly them in QMB, start out at 70-80% throttle, not full power, and ease the throttle forward after the mission starts. Sharp surges of power cause engine fires; on the other hand, sudden reductions of throttle often cause flameouts. Baby the throttle lever.

Scharnhorst1943
04-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by mattaylor817:
ok so i bought the latest game.
1. i'm having problems with the auto leveler while practicing some bombing runs. the plane banks and slowly careems towards the earth while i'm workin with the bomb sights. maybe i'm doing it wrong? i'm not sure.
2. i noticed in pacific fighters that you have a digital read out of your speed and altitude located in the bottome left hand corner. same with the waypoints on the map. did they remove these features in this latest version?
3. i tried flyin some jets also. i caught my engine on fire 3 times in a row. once while i did a dive and twice cutting my power to quickly. anyone know the physics to this?

1. You have to set the level autopilot. It will hold the plane level on the bomb run. You may need to assign a key for it in the controls menue.

2. Go to your difficulty settings. There is one related to this. Make sure you have it unchecked.

3. With jet aircraft you cannot jerk the throttle. You must move it a little more slowly. This is something accurately modeled in real life as well. If you goosed the throttle in a Me-262, you would catch the engines of fire. Same for most other jets too. Move the throttle slowly.

mattaylor817
04-13-2007, 12:17 AM
thanks guys. i found the speed bar and map stuff. so i have turned on the auto leveler. i designated it the "Q" button. it doesn't do anything though. the plane banks....i don't know what's goin on. it worked in the other versions of the game. any ideas?

PBNA-Boosher
04-13-2007, 12:31 AM
The game definition is a bit weird. You may be turning on the "autopilot automation" which simply turns on and off the positions in an aircraft when the player jumps in and out of them. The level autopilot is different. It will keep your plane straight and level, but make sure you trim for level flight before doing so, or the aircraft may slip in the direction of torque.

Deadmeat313
04-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Yeah, it sounds like you have set "Level Autopilot", which actually sets the automation level of the autopilot whan you change crew positions on the plane.

T.

Rood-Zwart
04-13-2007, 05:44 AM
With level stabelizer you have to trim you plane also (rudder and elevator)

mattaylor817
04-13-2007, 09:24 AM
you're right. it is the auto pilot automation. so what is the name of the level stabilizer in the controls menu then? yes and youre right about the torque....maybe i'm turning it on but just the torque is causing the movement. i could see that to be a very reasonable cause to my problem.

mattaylor817
04-13-2007, 09:25 AM
or maybe i just suck.

Scharnhorst1943
04-13-2007, 12:52 PM
From main menu, go to controls. Under aircraft controls (first column) you do not even need to scroll down, it is called "level stabalizer." Assign a key to that and see if it works.

JR_Greenhorn
04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
It will really help to learn to trim your plane to fly level before the bomb run or engaging the auto leveler.

Map the trim controls to keys that are easy for you to use (for instance, try mapping them to keys that don't require you to hold shift or ctrl). You'll have to hit each trim key a bunch of times to actually notice any effects (for starting out, hitting the key 10 times will make a slight but obvious change in you're airplane's flight).

As for your question about jet engine fires, the fuel systems in jet engines from this era were not very sophisticated. They often would dump either too much or not enough fuel in depending on how the throttle was moved, and how fast it was moved. If you read about particular planes and engines, you'll the problems discussed in more detail. A lot of planes and pilots were lost in this era due to jet engine teething problems.

Some engines were worse than others. For instance, the Me 262 starts on fire easily, but doesn't flame-out nearly as easily as the YP-80 does.

mattaylor817
04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
ok so i found that i over looked the level stabalizer. i didn't have a key set for it. i do now though. thanks for your help guys. i have one more problem......if you guys could help me out. i installed 1942. i downloaded it from ubisoft.com. now i didn't change any cofigurations. so everytime i open then game, close it, internet explorer doesn't work. i'll try to open the game again and it won't work. everything else works though. anyone heard of this? if so......do you have a solution?