PDA

View Full Version : QMB maps

ANGST
10-19-2005, 10:37 AM
How hard would it be to get someone to add more maps to the QMB ?

ytareh
10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
That would be great.By the way ,why the compulsory AAA in Crimea map...ships I suppose but makes it a bit noob-unfriendly.(And as for the Crimea Airbase attack...suicide!

the_soupdragon
10-19-2005, 04:51 PM
As has been posted previously by Ian Boys.
To get a map into the QMB is a heck of a lot of work aparently. I believe it is a seperate map to the one in the FMB and so has to be made QMB compatible. At least it was something like that.

SD

Bearcat99
10-19-2005, 07:35 PM
**sigh** Hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig..... Scroll down to Uberdemon's Software..... Hit the link.... Download the <span class="ev_code_yellow">U</span>ber <span class="ev_code_yellow">Q</span>uick <span class="ev_code_yellow">M</span>ission <span class="ev_code_yellow">G</span>enerator. It is a community user made utility that will give you <span class="ev_code_yellow">F</span>ull <span class="ev_code_yellow">M</span>ission <span class="ev_code_yellow">B</span>uilder power... with <span class="ev_code_yellow">Q</span>uick <span class="ev_code_yellow">M</span>ission <span class="ev_code_yellow">B</span>uilder ease. Meaning more maps... more planes.... a whole lot of good stuff. It is one of those utilities like Shift_E's VAC, IL2 Manager and many others.. that will GREATLY enhance your FB experience.

jarink
10-19-2005, 10:12 PM
**sigh** I really hope 1C changes this in BoB so that all maps are usable in QMB. It's a shame to have several nice maps that can't be fully utilised off-line.

Of course, BoB will probably only have a couple of maps to start with... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Bearcat99
10-20-2005, 06:20 AM
Well I always said to myself if UberD can do it why cant 1C.. but since they didnt and we do have the UQMG it is a moot point. I hope BoB has a different way of setting up QMs too.. but in the meantime if I want a QM over the Kuban I use the UQMG.

ANGST
10-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Oh I certainly know about UQMG , I was just wondering why there were not more maps in the QMB and what was involved in making them .

Chuck_Older
10-20-2005, 07:50 AM
Hi guys

Think about this a second, OK? What can you do in QMB?

You can dogfight. 16 vs 16 max. You can't choose where you spawn, only the altitude

(about the Crimea map AAA default being on- come on now, burn a calorie and click the button. Seriously)

So what good is the QMB? For Quick missions right? Quick dogfight missions. Bam bam bam, this plane versus that plane, at this altitude. It's for air combat, or air to ground if you select a very limited choice of targets

So. What maps are going to be in the QMB? Simple, generic type maps. Have you ever thought about why all the maps aren't available in QMB?

Example: would Berlin be a good QMB map? Gulf of Finland? No. That's what the FMB is for. The QMB uses simple maps to make simple missions. That's what the QMB is for. The terrain isn't important as long as it's generally what you want. Want a ship target? Use the appropriate QMB map. Want a straight dogfight? Choose any map. Want a carrier Op? Choose the right map. The QMB isn't supposed to be the FMB

ytareh
10-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Bearcat I use the UQMG and Chuck there is 'default'AAA in the Crimea QMB because of the ships....I know many look down their noses at the QMB but its just the job for a 5/10 minute session before heading out the door to work!

ANGST
10-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Yup I play QMB ALOT, then the Campaings I am mostly a single player guy, every once in a while going online. I'd play online more if "historical" senerios were played more .

Bearcat99
10-20-2005, 09:36 PM
I use the QMB a lot myself... it is a nice tool.... I used to wish it had more maps too.. but since I got hold of the UQMG if I want something different in a QM fashion I just whip up a UQM. The FMB is te way to go though IMO.

UberDemon
10-21-2005, 07:40 PM
All,

Although I developed UQMG completely by myself, except for Starshoy providing me the original (back in IL-2) list of regiment codes (and the extensive help from several users on the briefing translation modules), keep in mind that I did it completely free from pressure... that is, I designed it and made it pretty much the way I wanted it, with lots of input from the community... but overall, I had complete creative freedom... and you have that luxury when you are not bound by monetary issues.

I did it because I wanted and could at the time, with a lot of friggin' work; I am surprised my wife has not crushed my PC yet.

Nothing is impossible, but something like UQMG would probably never be incorporated with any of Oleg's products. UQMG is written in VB6.0 Professional. Most of PF believe it or not is written in Java, with the remainder in VC++. I am not a professional programmer so VB is the best I can do as a hobby... and heck, I know Oleg has used UQMG before, but it may not be exactly what a professional would really want in his product.

QMB is a completely different concept from UQMG. UQMG relies on its own fairly complex script language, which I created for it. QMB relies on a "template" missions which are imbedded in one of the encrypted/secure "SFS" directory files. I know how to extract these templates, of course, since I designed a whole QMB set for Oleg, but which unfortunately was never included in any of the releases/upgrades - for the Finland Online Map; tested but never included. They are magnitudes simpler than UQMG scripted templates, but regardless, are a great feature which I use often. Designing the QMB templates take some time as you have to have sometimes different versions of the mission for each team and each type of mission... so it is really several template missions per map.

To give you an idea on how hard it is to develop map templates in UQMG I have 4 different map templates in the works that I have not been able to finish... some of them were started earlier this year. I believe that a full template takes at least 20 hours of work, sometimes more... and with work and family... I just don't have time.

So... I guess my point is that developing "content" for a program is time consuming, and perhaps as grueling as the programming and testing itself.

Demon/UberDemon

Bearcat99
10-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Yeah.. Thst what makes me all the morer appreciative of what we have.

ytareh
10-22-2005, 03:18 AM
Ubers Mission Generator is a must have for this game!