PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ ground attack

duckhunter315
01-08-2006, 11:50 PM
argh! i've set up 10,000 ground attack missions in the quick mission thingy, but still cannot seem to hit anything with bombs or rockets..
aerial gunnery is great, 18 kills in 12 sorties on Pilot Career...

Ritter_Cuda
01-09-2006, 12:26 AM
hit the quick record make a few passes then go back and review from an outside view you will see where your bomb are hitting then can adjest
Cuda

stansdds
01-09-2006, 03:09 AM
Go to Dart's page http://www.darts-page.com/

On the left side of his opening page, click on "Files".

On the files page, click "Movie files".

On the Movie page click on "Instructional videos that shows one how to do stuff in the sim."

His instructional videos have helped me tremendously.

Tully__
01-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Rockets are easy enough, just make sure your rocket convergence is set for the range at which you typically fire rockets. I use 400m which (just) allows enough room to pull out of a 30 degree dive at 380-450km/h.

Shallow dive bombing is a black art and it took me 3 years and 3 box versions of the game to have any hope of even coming close to my targets on a steady basis. The suggestion to review your performance in tracks is good. It also pays to make your approaches as consistent as possible (same dive angle and speed on every run) so that the only variable is our aim point. Once you start getting hits that way, experiment a bit to see how varying speed and dive angle affects aim.

bogusheadbox
01-09-2006, 06:10 AM
As what tully said. Shallow dive bombing is very tricky. I always try to skip bomb the target as this is easier. (yes can be done on land - but not through trees and it seems it doesn't work too well on sand.)

A good thing to remember is skip bombing causes impact damage as well as explosion damage.

You can take an aircraft apart from just the physical impact of the bomb itself before explsion. Just remember to have at least a 3 second delay on your bomb. Preferably longer.

KrashanTopolova
01-10-2006, 08:10 PM
training track in IL-2 FB is good. technique development probably comes down to sub-conciouly realising ( after much practice) where the target should be under the nose of the aircraft at a certain speed (fast) at the release point of the bomb. Ships are easier to skip bomb. A handful of tanks is quite a different matter. Suggest you use judicious use of cternal view at the earlise moment after bomb release to discover where the bomb release point is from the cockpit view.

VW-IceFire
01-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Set your bomb delay for 3 seconds, use a shallow dive, correct onto the target, drop the bombs just before (or just after depending on angle and speed) they pass out of view, and run like hell.

Works almost every time.

KrashanTopolova
01-11-2006, 05:42 PM
BTW I forgot to mention that this is the function of the those funny white arcs on the nose of the IL-2