PDA

View Full Version : Ac's Director on What Was Cut

DreamerM
01-04-2008, 03:13 PM
This from the AC Artbook, written by Patrice Desilets:

There's a lot of stuff we could have added, but had to scae back: for example, could have brought interactivity with the ropes back, which we have the animations and collision for. We had horses in the city that we had to cut, again, for debug reasons. It's so big, so vast, we need to debug it and we need at least two or tree months to do so so it's not possible to have it all. We had a gameplay [sequence] also where guards could stop you -- we showed it at E3 last year, 2006. We call that behavior the "pin-down"-- a little bit like a Resident Evil zombie trying to stop you: we had to cut that. We had swimming for a while and decided not to go with that, because we felt like in some places it would cut and break the stealth element, because as soon as you can go underwater, you're pretty much like God. And with the crowd gameplay, it doesn't really fit, so we had to cut that. We had a lot more weapons...we had shields... what would love to do would be a Director's Cut of this game..

I'd buy a Director's Cut... Hey, if Ninja Gaiden's people can release the same game over and over and over again, why not Ubi's Assassin?

Crash_Plague
01-04-2008, 04:08 PM
wow, nice find man!

Again, we are amazed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I would have loved this stuff, I too would pay for a directors cut.

Nazgul2000
01-04-2008, 05:10 PM
can u get us more of that statement...like more of what weapons and stuff were cut pls

Kid_Phazon
01-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Ninja Gaiden had only on game released so far, while Assassin's Creed is already a scheduled trilogy. But it would be nice for a DC.

jcody
01-04-2008, 05:46 PM
And with the crowd gameplay, it doesn't really fit, so we had to cut that.

What exactly does this bit mean?

Nice find!

cooldude6681
01-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by jcody:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And with the crowd gameplay, it doesn't really fit, so we had to cut that.

What exactly does this bit mean?

Nice find! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's referring to Alta&iuml;r's (in)ability to swim. Swimming to evade detection isn't social stealth, it's more along the lines of light & shadow (seen vs unseen). The devs wanted the game to revolve around the social stealth aspect, so they cut the unsocial part out.

jcody
01-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Ohh, i thought they were talking about an individual feature called "crowd gameplay" - heh

DreamerM
01-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Nazgul2000:
can u get us more of that statement...like more of what weapons and stuff were cut pls

Unfortunately that was all there was about that, but this is what he had to say about the development of the combat system.

The philosophy of our movement design was, each button would represent a body part, so in a fight, we had a lot more fists and kicks. And then we put that a little bit aside, saying "ok, it's only steps and dodges for the feet, there's no kicking, and the Unarmed button is only for grabbing and counter-grabs. And at the beginning, the fighting was really difficult because it was too realistic. And we came in and said no, we're not going in the right direction here, so lets try and focus on openings and counters instead of step and timing of the hits, although there is still some of that in it. But right in the middle of it, we changed the philosophy of the fight. You now use the enemy's attack against them, like a true Assassin.

The team was happy about this: suddenly the fighting became much more spectacular, they loved it...and what's funny about it, [during] pre-production or conception, we did a mock-up movie of what a minute of the game-play would be like. It was like a camera behind the character, doing moves, you know? And the fight was really, really fast. o we went for year with the slower-paced fight to make it as medieval as possible, and said "yeah, but it's not fun." So we went back to our movies and said "See how a fight could be ended in 10 seconds if you're really good?" and... it's possible, yeah, so there's a lot of stuff we put in the garbage.

cooldude6681
01-04-2008, 07:07 PM
That's quite interesting, that is. Made me think of the concept video they showed at PAX. *le sigh* two assassins working in unison would have been so much fun.

spazzoo1025
01-04-2008, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't buy the game again for this, but I'd spend some MS points on it, sure

DreamerM
01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Jade has said that one of the things they wanted was co-op Assassin play...but that it would have taken much too long and been much too hard to actually implement.

solfrohawk
01-05-2008, 02:35 PM
I am overwhelming joyed with the decisions of what they cut and what they didn't.

I still am unable to find any real major problem in this game.

Great Find!

ikillu95
01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
so most of the people who put flaws on the game were wrong cause they had a reason they put it in but had to take itout.

Can u give us the link for this??

Lazybeans
01-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ikillu95:
Can u give us the link for this??

Originally posted by DreamerM:
This from the AC Artbook, written by Patrice Desilets: ...

so most of the people who put flaws on the game were wrong cause they had a reason they put it in but had to take itout.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

jcody
01-05-2008, 06:54 PM
yo no speako el ******edo

zgubilici
01-05-2008, 10:59 PM
^Don't do that again.

If you want to point out certain things, you can do so in a different manner- no more insults.
Thanks.

Chionubiforums
01-06-2008, 03:09 PM
. And with the crowd gameplay, it doesn't really fit, so we had to cut that. We had a lot more weapons...we had shields... what would love to do would be a Director's Cut of this game..

No, I will not buy a Director's Cut.
Not again, Patrice.

You will have to make it a Director's Cut featuring two extra DVD's full of Making Assassin's Creed content, on how you got to the AC story, what the actual meaning behind the story is, and basically a booklet with more background info on the different characters.

That would be a Director's Cut.