PDA

View Full Version : UBI is doing something new

Angel Fire
10-15-2008, 07:37 AM
and it is about time that someone is paying attention to people with less than perfect hearing and other disabilities.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54659

LaurenIsSoMosh
10-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Maybe they decided to do this after Assassin's Creed got a lot of complaint and bad publicity for its lack of.

High five for being accessibility-friendly, but I kinda wonder if the game Handigo will help or hinder understanding. Obviously some people are going to buy it just for laughs... Or for easy achievements. "Beat the game on hearing hard difficulty- 1,000g!"

Angel Fire
10-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Make no fun of this - I for one fully understand and appreciated subtitles. REASON -- double hearing aids for a very long time.

cooldude6681
10-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Bloody took them long enough! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif I swear, Ubisoft has been like, the only company to not offer subtitles in their games. As I think back through all the games I've played on my 360, Ubisoft games (aside from Splinter Cell and arcade games) were the only ones that didn't have the option to show subtitles.

Angel Fire
10-15-2008, 04:00 PM
The unique thing is, it is now mandatory in all their games.

LaurenIsSoMosh
10-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Angel Fire:
Make no fun of this - I for one fully understand and appreciated subtitles. REASON -- double hearing aids for a very long time. I wasn't making fun of it, promise. I respect Ubisoft's move to make subtitles mandatory and think it's long overdue, but I was just saying that the game Handigo might do more harm than good. I dunno, maybe people will be insulted and assume that they're "turning disabilities into a game."

I just think that maybe an educational game wouldn't be such a smart move, or at least not in the context that they're doing it.

Woosy
10-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Most games give you the option to turn them on, Mass Effect had them off by default but could be turned on, likewise BIA: HH. The thing is, some people rather read subtitles with hearing, so I don't think many will see it as turning disabilities into a game, it's been in games for a long time. I have no issue with things being implemented for people with disabilities to improve their gaming experience and hobby, I would love to see game developers go as far to help the colour blind, that's a big challenge.

MadamTampini
10-16-2008, 09:04 PM
I like subtitles in everything, movies, TV, video games, books. It personally makes the material easier to understand even though I can hear ok. I don't see why any games wouldn't have subtitles, it's silly.

Angel Fire
10-17-2008, 07:28 AM
It was not available when Splinter Cell was first out. There was a kid that was profoundly deaf and came here looking for help with the game because he could not hear what was going on. I tried my best to help him but he gave up on the forum and the game. Some people were very unkind. There was a game (can't remember the name) but in the sub titles they even put in the sound effects. Now if SC was like that he could have played the game.
Hearing aids don't make hearing perfect it just amplifies noise and because the human voice represents a very small portion of sound 'voice gets lost' even with the best aids. Mine cost me over 5 grand and I still have problems. Thank god for the Ear Froce X2 head set. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

EDIT: Lauren I understand what you mean but who knows maybe if done right it will be a hit. I know a game like that will not be for everybody but what the hay.

scworld
10-17-2008, 04:19 PM
My personal school project for Human-Computer Interaction was a game in which you had to follow a bot that made noise along a course with a lot of nasty turns. It worked perfectly. Note: you had to close your eyes and only listen to the direction of the sound of the bot.