PDA

View Full Version : Check Run Time = 2 ?

jayhall0315
05-05-2009, 03:01 AM
Fellow IL2 conf.ini experts, need your help (like Tully). When I recently built a new desktop system at home and installed IL2 1946 4.08m with TurdVista, of course I set checkRuntime=2 under the [NET] section of the conf.ini. I then proceeded to set up my home server (non-dedicated) so guys could have good full real naval aviation fights with me.

Problem is, at first, this didnt do jack to stop the modders. I thought this might be due to my server being non-dedicated or a Vista issue, but I was not sure. Now for some reason, it seems to be working out of the blue.

Anyone know exactly the correct procedure to set crt=2 on a non-dedicated server ?

(PS - I absolutely want to run a no-mod server with no extra stuff allowed at all. Just straight up 4.08m and nothing else)

jayhall0315
05-05-2009, 03:01 AM
Fellow IL2 conf.ini experts, need your help (like Tully). When I recently built a new desktop system at home and installed IL2 1946 4.08m with TurdVista, of course I set checkRuntime=2 under the [NET] section of the conf.ini. I then proceeded to set up my home server (non-dedicated) so guys could have good full real naval aviation fights with me.

Problem is, at first, this didnt do jack to stop the modders. I thought this might be due to my server being non-dedicated or a Vista issue, but I was not sure. Now for some reason, it seems to be working out of the blue.

Anyone know exactly the correct procedure to set crt=2 on a non-dedicated server ?

(PS - I absolutely want to run a no-mod server with no extra stuff allowed at all. Just straight up 4.08m and nothing else)

general_kalle
05-05-2009, 03:24 AM
a bit sad considering how much lovely Mod stuff you can get..

danjama
05-05-2009, 04:09 AM
I wish i could help but i know absolutely nothing about setting up CRT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Good to know there will always be people hosting the stock game to be honest, because there will always be people looking for stock servers, that's a fact. It's a shame the community is being split in such a way, but nothing can be done to stop it. The only way is to run mods with the switcher, so you cn go back and forth, that's what i do. The switcher is a blessing in disguide, keeping this game alive online.

jayhall0315
05-05-2009, 04:15 AM
I have nothing against mods at all. I may start to use them soon myself for offline play or the new Spits UI 1.1.1 server. They really add new features and great maps, sounds, airframes, etc... to an aging game engine. But when I face someone who claims to be damned good, I like to know we are on exactly equal footing.

JG52Uther
05-05-2009, 06:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:
I like to know we are on exactly equal footing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you are flying with the same computers,with the same hardware,and in the exact same planes,you will never be on equal footing!

rnzoli
05-05-2009, 07:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's the same as for dedicated machines, but I personally got shocked when I learnt through experience, that you need to be very careful about spelling this parameter in your conf.ini file:
CheckRuntime=2 is useless
CheckRunTime=2 is useless
checkruntime=2 is useless

only the exact parameter name from the Readme_408.rtf file works:

checkRuntime=2

This will stop FDW (FM, DM, weapons) mods with timeout1 mostly, but also with timeout2. However, some more subtle mods like default skin changes to pink etc. will slip through this anyway. There is no 100% protection against mods, but 98% is good enough for having fun. There are always other ways (non-mod) ways to chea.... OK, to influence the combat outcome with unusual ways.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif typically pilot-induced-warping or speedcheck bypass. These also need tight settings for a competitive environment.

Tab_Flettner
05-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Why would you be shocked that the incorrect syntax did not work?

rnzoli
05-05-2009, 07:32 AM
I was shocked about the parameter being "case-sensitive"... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

FoolTrottel
05-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks to rnzoli you'll probably have that check fully activated soon... but, you may run into other issues, as only ppl using the same OS are likely to connect to your server successfully, and I dunno how many are using TurdVista... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

From that ReadMe_408m.rtf:
NOTE: during the comprehensive check, if the client runs a different OS version from the client, the check may identify the OS differences as changes in game modules.

jayhall0315
05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnzoli:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's the same as for dedicated machines, but I personally got shocked when I learnt through experience, that you need to be very careful about spelling this parameter in your conf.ini file:
CheckRuntime=2 is useless
CheckRunTime=2 is useless
checkruntime=2 is useless

only the exact parameter name from the Readme_408.rtf file works:

checkRuntime=2

This will stop FDW (FM, DM, weapons) mods with timeout1 mostly, but also with timeout2. However, some more subtle mods like default skin changes to pink etc. will slip through this anyway. There is no 100% protection against mods, but 98% is good enough for having fun. There are always other ways (non-mod) ways to chea.... OK, to influence the combat outcome with unusual ways.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif typically pilot-induced-warping or speedcheck bypass. These also need tight settings for a competitive environment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Rnzoli. I was fortunate to get the syntax correct on the first go but I still appreciate the info. I am testing out tightning up the lag parameters right now. Will post results here shortly.

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Like FT said, the problem with CRT=2 is that people with a different OS than the host get timeout1. I cannot join the new 4.09 UI 1.1 servers because they run CRT=2 and I have Vista, I guess the host is XP. Really a shame, cause there is no way for me to join any CRT=2 server on hyperlobby no matter how legit I run my game, mods, no mods, makes no difference if I'm cheating or honorable, I cannot play CRT=2 servers, and I'm a little ticked off about it to be honest. Some great servers I'll never have a chance to play, until we all update to win7 anyway...

Billy_DeLyon
05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Pardon my ignorance.. but are you running a DF server? Coops? Are you on HL? I don't know anything about the distinction between dedicated and non-dedicated servers. I ask because I'd be into joining no-mods fights online(and yes, General Kalle, I enjoy flying with mods sometimes too).

I like the idea of getting the most assurance possible of a level playing field.

jayhall0315
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi Billy - I run a non-dedicated server that tends to focus on naval aviation under full real difficulty settings (although I often lower this to help new guys). But my server also does different things on different evenings as well - Sunday night is experiment night (like landing jets on carriers), Wednesday night is high altitude night, Thursday nights is jets, etc.... All of the maps are stock Oleg 4.08m stuff like Okinawa, Iwo Jima, etc...

A non-dedicated server means that you have only installed the game and then set it up with your router so that you can host others. Once you close out of the game, anyone connected gets disconnected and dumped back to Hyperlobby. A dedicated server requires the dedicated server patches (depending on version) and this is meant to set up a computer to run 24/7 and unattended. Dedicated servers usually allow more players to join and the admin of a dedicated also has numerous commands that are not available to a non-dedicated server.

If you want the best possible chance of a level field, look for servers that dont allow mods, run stock 4.08m or 4.09b versions and have check run time = 2. This does not prevent all hacks, but it does keep out most of them.

Woke_Up_Dead
05-05-2009, 07:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Like FT said, the problem with CRT=2 is that people with a different OS than the host get timeout1. I cannot join the new 4.09 UI 1.1 servers because they run CRT=2 and I have Vista, I guess the host is XP. Really a shame, cause there is no way for me to join any CRT=2 server on hyperlobby no matter how legit I run my game, mods, no mods, makes no difference if I'm cheating or honorable, I cannot play CRT=2 servers, and I'm a little ticked off about it to be honest. Some great servers I'll never have a chance to play, until we all update to win7 anyway... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, that does suck. Most people run Windows but we are probably right at that point where the usage split is near 50/50 between the old and new versions. I'm using XP and not planning to upgrade to Vista anytime soon, I would hate to be left behind. What might be a fix, either from the host side or the visitor side?

na85
05-06-2009, 12:29 AM
The only real fix will come when people stop running CRT=2 or find some way to circumvent it.

cmirko
05-06-2009, 02:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Like FT said, the problem with CRT=2 is that people with a different OS than the host get timeout1. I cannot join the new 4.09 UI 1.1 servers because they run CRT=2 and I have Vista, I guess the host is XP. Really a shame, cause there is no way for me to join any CRT=2 server on hyperlobby no matter how legit I run my game, mods, no mods, makes no difference if I'm cheating or honorable, I cannot play CRT=2 servers, and I'm a little ticked off about it to be honest. Some great servers I'll never have a chance to play, until we all update to win7 anyway... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually in my tests only win2k (as a client) was "problematic" when joinning CRT=2 enabled server. Winxp host with CRT=2 can normally accept Win7, Vista and WinXP clients....