PDA

View Full Version : Talent Tree

Trenixdecease
04-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Currently the system we have of obtaining abilities is pretty dull. You obtain a level, unlock an ability or some other feature, and that's pretty much all. There is no real strategy involved. Now I'm not trying to make this game from what it already is, because we do in fact have levels. So why not just give us points for a talent tree?

Talent trees allow players to utilize and customize their own playing style. Therefore, there wouldn't be just one way of doing things. There would be multiple ways of achieving the same goal, with various of different counters.

My ideal skill tree...

Offensive

- Unlocks exclusive offensive abilities.
- Unlocks and improves perks designed for an offensive build.
- Unlocks offensive bonuses.

Defensive

- Unlocks exclusive defensive abilities.
- Unlocks and improves perks designed for an defensive build.
- Unlocks defensive bonuses.

Utility

- Improves cooldowns on abilities.
- Improves effectiveness of abilities.
- Unlocks streaks.

StarScream391
04-02-2011, 10:56 AM
No, Next game.

Yonmaja
04-02-2011, 11:01 AM
That's what challenges are for.

MonsterJunkese
04-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Another thing that will make boosters win.

Starsfan1009
04-02-2011, 11:12 AM
It's a good idea but I think it would only come to fruition (pun intended) in a game like Oblivion (such as the new one coming out). It's such an expansive game with so many outcomes based upon your "talent tree" that it would be difficult not to have one.

Like StarScream said, they may be able to do it for the next game's MP (assuming they'll have one).

Trenixdecease
04-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Yonmaja:

What do you do when all of your challenges are complete?

Rainie
04-02-2011, 11:16 AM
To do this you'd have to add more abilities. Also all skills (with the exception of the gun and poison) can be used both on offense and defense, it's up to the player to decide how to use them. The game is designed in a way that it allows players freedom in deciding how to play. You aren't restricted by classes, skill trees and equipment restrictions. EVERY player has access to every skill with the only requirement is that the player unlocks it first. This isn't an RPG

StarScream391
04-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Trenixdecease:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yonmaja:

What do you do when all of your challenges are complete? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quit the game and play something else, I know I did.

Trenixdecease
04-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by StarScream391:
No, Next game.

I guess you're right, it will take a lot to alter the entire game to have it be built off of a talent tree. Think this would improve the player base for the next game. Right now it feels as if you can honestly "beat" the multiplayer.

Originally posted by kriticalraine:
To do this you'd have to add more abilities. Also all skills (with the exception of the gun and poison) can be used both on offense and defense, it's up to the player to decide how to use them. The game is designed in a way that it allows players freedom in deciding how to play. You aren't restricted by classes, skill trees and equipment restrictions. EVERY player has access to every skill with the only requirement is that the player unlocks it first. This isn't an RPG

Not sure if you're fond of the skill tree, but you're able to go in multiple trees. I can be a hybrid of a offensive-defensive build. However, hybrids can't exceed the role of someone who's purely speculated for that role. The gun I would expect it to be only for utility, since the best way to improve it would be to reduce it's cooldown and effectiveness. I'm also not asking for each point to equal an ability. Some abilities should continue to be unlocked through levels. These should be considered the basic abilities. I've also never mentioned anything about equipment. Equipment should be just for persona customization.

Zoidberg747
04-02-2011, 11:44 AM
That worked great in Borderlands, but I dont think it will work in assassins creed. The level system is good so you can get all the abilities faster, then you can work on mastering them

Trenixdecease
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Zoidberg747:
That worked great in Borderlands, but I dont think it will work in assassins creed. The level system is good so you can get all the abilities faster, then you can work on mastering them

Think the level system is actually bad, it's a tad too quick. Mastering an ability is easier if you use it as you slowly level up.

Zoidberg747
04-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes its quick, that means you can get all the abilities sooner which means better competition/strategies for everyone.