PDA

View Full Version : Pilot seat adjustment question

dobe_
06-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I can't seem to find information on how to move the pilot seat.It is listed in the control seatup,but I can't figure out how to use it.I was thinking along the lines of Aces High,and the ability to use seat to help views out.Thanks in advance for any help.

steve_v
06-05-2005, 09:20 PM
from the readme

Change seat position: this key toggles the pilot’s seat height between two presets: high and low. This feature is intended for use during take-offs and landing to help look over the aircraft’s nose. High position should not be used in combat as it prevents you from using your gunsight. You must open your canopy first before raising your seat.
This function ONLY works on the A6M Zero, F4U Corsairs and F4F/FM Wildcat series of planes. All other planes did not have seat systems that could be controlled by pilot in-flight.

dobe_
06-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Thank you kindly!

PlaneEater
06-05-2005, 09:31 PM
This function ONLY works on the A6M Zero, F4U Corsairs and F4F/FM Wildcat series of planes. All other planes did not have seat systems that could be controlled by pilot in-flight

Which is very odd to say, since the F6F and SBD-3/5 both had adjustable seats, if memory serves.

I KNOW the F6F did. At very least the later versions.

My grandfather also has mentioned adjusting the seat in his P-38 while flying in order to use the relief tube (it was a really long flight).

I would be surprised if the P-51 and P-47 didn't also have some sort of seat adjustment. I've read of the reach (depth) and elevation of the rudder pedals also being adjustable on some planes. I think it was the P-40 and the F4U that I read pilot accounts about where they specifically mentioned moving these, although it might not have been while flying, or it may have been while the ship was trimmed up for hands-off flight.

AerialTarget
06-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Whoa! Your grandfather flew a P-38? What other fighters did he fly?

triggerhappyfin
06-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by PlaneEater:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
This function ONLY works on the A6M Zero, F4U Corsairs and F4F/FM Wildcat series of planes. All other planes did not have seat systems that could be controlled by pilot in-flight

Which is very odd to say, since the F6F and SBD-3/5 both had adjustable seats, if memory serves.

I KNOW the F6F did. At very least the later versions.

My grandfather also has mentioned adjusting the seat in his P-38 while flying in order to use the relief tube (it was a really <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">long flight</span>).

I would be surprised if the P-51 and P-47 didn't also have some sort of seat adjustment. I've read of the reach (depth) and elevation of the rudder pedals also being adjustable on some planes. I think it was the P-40 and the F4U that I read pilot accounts about where they specifically mentioned moving these, although it might not have been while flying, or it may have been while the ship was trimmed up for hands-off flight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he had a long enough **** we never would found this out http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Tully__
06-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by steve_v:
from the readme

Change seat position: this key toggles the pilot’s seat height between two presets: high and low. This feature is intended for use during take-offs and landing to help look over the aircraft’s nose. High position should not be used in combat as it prevents you from using your gunsight. You must open your canopy first before raising your seat.
This function ONLY works on the A6M Zero, F4U Corsairs and F4F/FM Wildcat series of planes. All other planes did not have seat systems that could be controlled by pilot in-flight.

In addition, you need to have the pilot in the upright position rather than the shooting position (Shift-F1 to toggle by default).

DRAGON_2_GO
06-07-2005, 02:16 PM
And of course, it'll only work if you have thought of opening your canopyhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif , (at last in the F4U don't know about the other... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif )