PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed that the Bf109 is the hardest fighter to shoot down?

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:08 PM
IL2 original 1.2

Perhaps it's just me, but I have the hardest time shooting down the Bf109 fighters than any other. They seem to be able to out-climb and out-manuever even the best of the russian fighters.

Interestingly the best german fighter is arguably the FW190. I seem to have an easier time shooting the FW190 down than the Bf109 models.

I've tried all the fighters in the game and my preference is the german FW190 with the wing cannon loadout. That plane is a freaking lead hose. If I get behind an enemy fighter or bomber it's breaking into dozens of pieces in 3 seconds or less. Man the FW190 is an awesome fighter.

Two questions:

Have you noticed that the Bf109 is the hardest figher to shoot down in IL2 original 1.2?

What do you think is the best fighter in IL2 original for plane vs. plane combat?

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:08 PM
IL2 original 1.2

Perhaps it's just me, but I have the hardest time shooting down the Bf109 fighters than any other. They seem to be able to out-climb and out-manuever even the best of the russian fighters.

Interestingly the best german fighter is arguably the FW190. I seem to have an easier time shooting the FW190 down than the Bf109 models.

I've tried all the fighters in the game and my preference is the german FW190 with the wing cannon loadout. That plane is a freaking lead hose. If I get behind an enemy fighter or bomber it's breaking into dozens of pieces in 3 seconds or less. Man the FW190 is an awesome fighter.

Two questions:

Have you noticed that the Bf109 is the hardest figher to shoot down in IL2 original 1.2?

What do you think is the best fighter in IL2 original for plane vs. plane combat?

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:10 PM
learn to fly

http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/giantrobot/bender.jpg
Which Colossal Death Robot Are You? (http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/giantrobot/)

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Bobsqueek wrote:
- learn to fly
-

ROFL - I love those answers.

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Learn to fly? Give me a break. You don't know my expertise level. I may be a better pilot than you. If you can't reply in a professional manner don't post!

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Totally the opposite to me. I see a 109 and think 'dinner is served'. You only have to look in their direction and their already smoking. Maybe everyone has there annoying plane to shoot down. For me its those uber 190's that seem to be able to absorb 10000 .50 bullets with no problem.

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:34 PM
It's funny, but downing 109's is easier than anything else in the game. I don't want them as adversaries as they are quite a handfull full due to their good climbing ability. However, a short burst with the guns and down they go. LaGG's and Yaks are by far the toughest ships to down. Scratch the paintjob on a 190 and it's ready for the scrap heap.

http://members.chello.se/unni/GK-2.JPG

'When it comes to aircombat, I'd rather be lucky than good any day!'

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Truly 109's are fodder unless they're good pilots. Even still a lucky burst is all you need against them. I don't have any extreme difficulty in downing 190's either.

Of course most of the time now I'm the one flying the 109, and 190. More 109 flying though.
I can't say any aircraft is hard to put down if you know how to massage the guns right. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Example against FW-190 I shred their wings or actually just one wing. Thats much better as it severly hinders their ability to do much other than run. Then I can take my time, and go for the cockpit. Or try for an underneath into the belly shot.

BF-109's it's already been said pump a few rounds into their engine, and it's over. It has little wings compared to most fighters anyway. Might as well go for the fuselage.

I try to pick one area of an aircraft to pound on. You can spray most aircraft a little all over with a lot of ammo with little result. Yet a fourth of that ammo hammered into one spot is lethal. Unless you have big cannons then just hit with them lol.

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Bf109 is very weakly armored. Even planes with smallest guns can bring them down. Just the opposite to FW-190. You can hit, but you need big guns and still you have to do some button work to kill the bird. Except if you have Yak-9K; 45 mm gun can cut any plane in half with a single shot.

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Bobsqueek, you are, indeed, a bender.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:39 PM
kclaysprint wrote:
- IL2 original 1.2
-
- Perhaps it's just me, but I have the hardest time
- shooting down the Bf109 fighters than any other.
- They seem to be able to out-climb and out-manuever
- even the best of the russian fighters.

It's been a while since I last flew IL2, but the Yak3 and La5FN should not be out-manoeuvered by a 109 in a verical fight. I think that might be what BobSqueek was referring to.

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:53 PM
um u gotta know where to hit/aim for
109 have there fueltank under/behind pilot, so the belly, aim there if u can
ive seen em go down when hit there increadibly easly /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Guys hes not talking about FB, sure the 109's break apart like wet clay in FB but in the old IL-2 it was pretty durable... not as durable as the 190 but still durable (5 times more than in FB at least /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif ), and yes the BF 109 G6/AS in IL-2 1.2 was the best climbing prop plane and also one of the fastest plus it had a 30mm.

But lol if you have a 30mm it doesnt matter as much how durable the opponent is, hit em right and they lose pieces fast.

If an experienced pilot uses this plane it could be trouble, I think the Yak 9U is faster and performs better slightly, but its got tiny guns....

If you can't beat em.......

<a>http://www.talonsoft.com/images/hiddenanddangerous/hiddenanddangerous-eyes.jpg</a>

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 05:22 PM
kclaysprint wrote:

- Two questions:
-
- Have you noticed that the Bf109 is the hardest
- figher to shoot down in IL2 original 1.2?

No, the La-5FN/La-7 are much harder, especially with a FW-190.

-
- What do you think is the best fighter in IL2
- original for plane vs. plane combat?
-

The La-5FN both online and offline, closely followed by the Yak-3.

<center>Qui vainc sans risque triomphe sans gloire.</center>
<center>http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/images/tempestv_t.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Lunahod wrote:
- Bf109 is very weakly armored. Even planes with
- smallest guns can bring them down. Just the opposite
- to FW-190. You can hit, but you need big guns and
- still you have to do some button work to kill the
- bird. Except if you have Yak-9K; 45 mm gun can cut
- any plane in half with a single shot.

See what's happening if this total damage model bias against Bf-109 does not stop? Every kiddo now thinks that Bf-109 was some sort of a paper plane.

Well Lunohod, for your knowledge, Bf-109 is tougher armoured than any allied plane (except Il2i, but it can hardly be considered a successful fighter)

<center> http://www.stormbirds.com/images/discussion-main.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 05:37 PM
The other day I was fly a Hurricane IIb, ( 12 x.303 ) I was hitting a 109 repeatedly, little explosions all over it, but it kept goin and going. Then I flew a IIc, ( 4 x 20mm cannon ) and with 3 or 4 hits a 109 broke up!?

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 05:45 PM
109 the hardest to down?? I always thought it was one of the easiest to kill, in any version of IL2 or FB!!! Try and shoot down a PE-2 or 3 with a 109 that has only a 20mm cannon, then you'll see what "hard to shoot down" is all about. Hell, I think the P.11C is harder to down than almost anything else. And the MC-202, that thing is tough.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 05:50 PM
In case none of you noticed hes talking about IL2 original 1.2 NOT FB !!!

In Il2 the 109 was a killing machien now its a pathetic joke in FB1.11 & Ill still kill you with it !!!

just makes you wonder how an ac that was so good in IL2 is so bad in FB LOL

ARCADE!!!

<center><font size="7" color="red">Arcade Mode Inabled[/i]</font>

Message Edited on 09/23/0310:54AM by Locust_161st

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 05:53 PM
kclaysprint wrote:
- IL2 original 1.2
-
- Perhaps it's just me, but I have the hardest time
- shooting down the Bf109 fighters than any other.

No i didn`t noticed..but it always depended on who`s piloting that 109 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Regards,
VFC*Crazyivan
http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

"No matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down." Ivan Kozhedub

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Locust_161st wrote:
- In case none of you dipsticks noticed hes talking
- about IL2 original 1.2 NOT FB !!!
-
-
- In Il2 the 109 was a killing machien now its a
- pathetic joke in FB1.11 & Ill still kill you with it
- !!!
-
-
- just makes you wonder how an ac that was so good in
- IL2 is so bad in FB LOL
-

Dam

it dissapoints me then that I am only flying the 109 now and didnt fly it in IL2, wish I did.

One of those ironies, I was shot down all the time in IL2 by 109s now I am shot down all the time in my 109 in FB /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

<center>http://www.blitzpigs.com/john/BP-johann-9-4-03.gif <center>

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 05:58 PM
If you research into actually WWII history, the Bf109 and FW190 planes were extremely effective and the most feared of the german fighters.

Also the german planes were always one step ahead of the Russian planes in terms of performance and technology. It wasn't until 1944 and 1945 that the Allied forces started producing better planes than the germans, such as the P51.

The early Allied planes didn't fair well against Japan's zeros. It wasn't until 1942-43 that the Allied planes were competitive with the zeros and later surpased them in 1944 and 1945.

If I get more time I'll supply more details on plane models etc.

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 06:02 PM
kclaysprint wrote:
- If you research into actually WWII history, the
- Bf109 and FW190 planes were extremely effective and
- the most feared of the german fighters.
-
- Also the german planes were always one step ahead of
- the Russian planes in terms of performance and
- technology.

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif really?

- It wasn't until 1944 and 1945 that the
- Allied forces started producing better planes than
- the germans, such as the P51.
-

How about we start another thread about P-51 WINNING the war /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

- The early Allied planes didn't fair well against
- Japan's zeros. It wasn't until 1942-43 that the
- Allied planes were competitive with the zeros and
- later surpased them in 1944 and 1945.
-
- If I get more time I'll supply more details on plane
- models etc.
-
-

Please do /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Regards,
VFC*Crazyivan
http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

"No matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down." Ivan Kozhedub

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Actualy I find the BF109 to be one of the easyest planes to shoot down. FW 190 is a chalange if the pilot knows what he is doing. Well there bouth a chalange if the pilot is knows what he's doing.

Like, if im in a P-39 then 75% of the time ill win against a BF109. The other 25% of the time i lose because the other guy is a better pilot. When im in a 39 going up against a FW190 then 50% of time i will come out on top. The other 50% of the time i lose becaues the FW is being flown right.

When im in a 47, same thing, 75% of the time ill come out on top against a BF109. An FW, 50% of time.

To me the FW is a menace when flown right, very scary to have a good pilot in an FW fying above you lol.

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Huckebein_FW wrote:
- Lunahod wrote:
-- Bf109 is very weakly armored. Even planes with
-- smallest guns can bring them down. Just the opposite
-- to FW-190. You can hit, but you need big guns and
-- still you have to do some button work to kill the
-- bird. Except if you have Yak-9K; 45 mm gun can cut
-- any plane in half with a single shot.
-
-
-
- See what's happening if this total damage model bias
- against Bf-109 does not stop? Every kiddo now thinks
- that Bf-109 was some sort of a paper plane.
-
- Well Lunohod, for your knowledge, Bf-109 is tougher
- armoured than any allied plane (except Il2i, but it
- can hardly be considered a successful fighter)

Yep the annoying thing is that the AC are made to be as the developer wants us to perceive them and not necesarily portrayed as how they were in reality. The problem there is that alot of people wont know any different and will perceive them as what they get in sim insulting the real AC in the process. Unfortunately their does seem to be the odd element of this in FB although not necesarily deliberate.

I agree....

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 06:31 PM
the spitfire was equal to the 109 througout the war
bob it was best pilot who would win, both sides agreed on that /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Concur. I have noticed that the 109 outflies anything else. But... it must have been the most produced fighter in military histry for a reason/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif The best plane? Well, I would say that the LaGG is worth a spin. And the IL-2 can be o.k. On the German side, the early model 109's are fine, while the 190 is good at such tasks like mutilating enemy bombers. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

The Young Lions in the Forest suffer and lack, But thoser who know the Lord Shall not want of any good thing. Keep your tongue from Evil and your lips from speaking deciet. Depart from evil, do good and pursue it!

>Psalms

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 05:46 AM
Ok, I did some testing this evening based on everyones feedback in IL2 (NOT FB) 1.2. Here are the results:

Author: mortoma
109 the hardest to down?? I always thought it was one of the easiest to kill, in any version of IL2 or FB!!! Try and shoot down a PE-2 or 3 with a 109 that has only a 20mm cannon, then you'll see what "hard to shoot down" is all about. Hell, I think the P.11C is harder to down than almost anything else. And the MC-202, that thing is tough.

My Reply:
The PE-2 and 3 are easy as cake to shoot down. All you have to do is approach them carefully, slow your speed down to stay on their tail, and pound away (for quite a while I might add). Conclusion: Easy to shoot down.

Now the P.11C you mentioned is a different story. It is just as hard to shoot down as the Bf109. The P.11c is so manuverable, perhaps more so than the Bf109, however, the Bf109 has the speed advantage. Conclusion: Difficult to shoot down.

Author: Locust_161st
In case none of you noticed hes talking about IL2 original 1.2 NOT FB !!!

In Il2 the 109 was a killing machien now its a pathetic joke in FB1.11 & Ill still kill you with it !!!

just makes you wonder how an ac that was so good in IL2 is so bad in FB LOL

My Reply:
I haven't played FB, however, in IL2 original 1.2 I agree that the Bf109 is a killing machine.

Author: p1ngu666
the spitfire was equal to the 109 througout the war
bob it was best pilot who would win, both sides agreed on that

My Reply:
Agreed! The Bf109, Spitfire, and Japanese Zero were arguably the best early era WWII fighter planes. History told it's tale.

Author: CrazyBell
Concur. I have noticed that the 109 outflies anything else. But... it must have been the most produced fighter in military histry for a reason The best plane? Well, I would say that the LaGG is worth a spin. And the IL-2 can be o.k. On the German side, the early model 109's are fine, while the 190 is good at such tasks like mutilating enemy bombers.

My Reply:
Agreed. As far as I'm aware the Bf109 was the most produced plane in WWII. It along with the Spitfire were the most successful early era WWII planes. The LaGG-3IT, La-5FN, and FW190 planes were arguably the best mid-era WWII planes. The FW190D was quite the plane, however, in IL2 you only get to fly the A models. Conclusion: The best fighter planes in IL2 game (NOT FB) 1.2 are:

Bf109
La-5FN
LaGG-3IT
FW190
BI-1
Me 262

I never did have a good experience flying the Yaks and Migs. I'm sorry but I thought these other planes were superior. The P-39 models are a good plane, however, I would much rather be in one of the planes listed above.

The Bf109 was an awesome early to mid era WWII plane. The Bf-109G-6/AS could outclimb just about any WWII plane.

Author: eiffel68
kclaysprint wrote:

- Two questions:
-
- Have you noticed that the Bf109 is the hardest
- figher to shoot down in IL2 original 1.2?

No, the La-5FN/La-7 are much harder, especially with a FW-190.
-
- What do you think is the best fighter in IL2
- original for plane vs. plane combat?
-

The La-5FN both online and offline, closely followed by the Yak-3.

My Reply:
I agree that the La-5FN/La-7 are difficult to shoot down, however, not much if any more than the Bf109. In IL2 (NOT FB) 1.2 the La-5FN is an awesome plane, no question. After flying it and then the Bf109 back and forth, I would probably choose the La-5FN.

I disagree on the Yak-3. I hate all the Yaks and don't fly them well at all. I would much rather have fly a Bf109, La-5FN, LaGG-3IT, FW190, BI-1, or Me 262 over a Yak.

Based on history the Yaks and Migs were never really competitive with the Bf109 and FW190 german planes. The top Russian fighters such as the Yak were built in great numbers, and had a big impact on the outcome of the war, but were never world beaters in the air superiority role.

Anyway sorry for the long thread.

Good Flying!