PDA

View Full Version : [FIX]MultiPlayer freezing with Realtek HD Audio

Windrius
03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
If you have Realtek HD audio and you play multiplayer your PC most likely freezes after some time and you hear an annoying sound.. Something like "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".
Well, it's caused by PunkBuster.
And PB support told me the only way to enjoy the game is to change my soundcard or disable on-board sound...
Well. Here's a better way.
I found drivers that work really great, been playing for days without a single crash.

To download click HEA (http://www.2shared.com/file/QEHTnpjZ/Vista_R217.html)

These drivers are really old, but they work for me, hopefully they will work for you aswell. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mmdore
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
will give it a try thnx ill post some feedback later

PWR87
03-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Hope this works, I try it now.
BIG THANKS TO YOU!

mmdore
03-23-2011, 04:55 PM
unfortunately it didnt work for me, =( thnx though

Windrius
03-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by mmdore:

Well, these drivers only work for vista and windows 7. Are you sure you have the correct OS? Also did you remember to uninstall your old drivers?

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Windrius:
If you have Realtek HD audio and you play multiplayer your PC most likely freezes after some time and you hear an annoying sound.. Something like "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".
Well, it's caused by PunkBuster.
And PB support told me the only way to enjoy the game is to change my soundcard or disable on-board sound...
Well. Here's a better way.
I found drivers that work really great, been playing for days without a single crash.

To download click HEA (http://www.2shared.com/file/QEHTnpjZ/Vista_R217.html)

These drivers are really old, but they work for me, hopefully they will work for you aswell. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

punkbuster support told you to change your card or play without sound ??????????

if i were you i would report this to Ubisoft.

Bloody disgraceful to tell someone to bypass a problem thats at thier end by either ruining the game or paying out money ?

This means people with realtek audio [and thats a lot of people] would have to return the game or fork out for new sound card ?
How many man hours have been wasted by tech support because Punkbuster "forgot" to tell Ubisoft that thier program doesnt work on realtek audio systems.

Windrius
03-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by AJ_Rimmer_Bsc:
punkbuster support told you to change your card or play without sound ??????????

if i were you i would report this to Ubisoft.

Bloody disgraceful to tell someone to bypass a problem thats at thier end by either ruining the game or paying out money ?

This means people with realtek audio [and thats a lot of people] would have to return the game or fork out for new sound card ?
How many man hours have been wasted by tech support because Punkbuster "forgot" to tell Ubisoft that thier program doesnt work on realtek audio systems.

Well they did also suggest me to ask realtek about drivers that would be compatible, but I doubt realtek even knows about PB.
Anyway, I did send the drivers to evenbalanced, since it helped me, I think it might help other people.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Well they did also suggest me to ask realtek about drivers that would be compatible, but I doubt realtek even knows about PB.
Anyway, I did send the drivers to evenbalanced, since it helped me, I think it might help other people.

i am a realtek owner too,and getting constant crashing,wondering if its punkbuster now.

but gaming systems a winxp setup,so those drivers wont work for me.

as long as you report it to Ubi,then maybe they can come up with a fix,or demand punkbuster fixes it or loses the contract.

mmdore
03-24-2011, 05:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mmdore:

Well, these drivers only work for vista and windows 7. Are you sure you have the correct OS? Also did you remember to uninstall your old drivers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah i got win 7 x64 still getting freezes i didnt uninstall old drivers i just put those ones on top lol, what bout you, youre not getting any freezes now ?

BessanLV
03-24-2011, 05:51 PM
I'll try it out first thing in the morning and post here about results.. hopefully it works

Edit: ok, couldn't bother waiting for the morning so tried now.. still crashed.

I'm on Win7 x64 and I uninstalled the newest driver before installing this one.

AnthonyA85
03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Hm....My system uses Realtek Audio (it's an Asus Standard board, built this system in early 2008) and i'm running on 32 bit xp pro, so those drivers probably won't work for me.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but if i'm gonna have performance issues that i can't fix, then, heh, i probably won't bother.

Julveyo
03-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Bought from STEAM (pre-order).
Played MP from first day. But it's like pain in the ***, cos:
Win 7, x64, realtek = crash, baby!

I've start to search in google "punkbsuter realtek crash", used everything of all sites from first 3 pages. No result = means crash with hard reboot.

But, yesterday, summarizing all what was done and what can be wrong I've did next steps, and played ~2-3 hours without crash (before I was able to play 16 sec - 30 min till crash):
1. Uninstall VC drivers (nVidia).
2. Uninstall SC drivers (Realtek). Reboot.
3. Logged in Safe Mode.
4. Started Driver Cleaner Pro. Marked NVidia, Realtek, then DELETE. Reboot.
5. Installed new VC drivers (released from 24.03.2011) from nVidia (I have GTX 260M).
6. Windows automatically set HD Audio drives as non REALTEK.
7. Disabled and turned off Afterburner (some sites mentioned it have problems with PB too).
7. Started the game and played fine after.

Will play (beta test) more this weekend to be sure.

Lord_Ethcaz
03-25-2011, 03:38 AM
EDIT: Okay, my freezing is back again :S Pff, went days without, and now it's back!!

BessanLV
03-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Making it run in compatibility mode for WinXP sp2 didn't completely remove crashes. But there are noticeably less of them for me now. Anyways, still waiting for fix on this, cause I couldn't get it to run through Steam this way...
If anyone can give me a hint, it would be much appreciated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lord_Ethcaz
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Julveyo:
6. Windows automatically set HD Audio drives as non REALTEK.

This doesn't matter if you're on win7. I was using the windows drivers the entire time, tried fixing it by installing the newest win7 64-bit mobo-drivers, but that didn't do it. I actually tried upgrading PB, but that failed horribly aswel, this time destroying my save-game.

But, I actually got my game working full time now... Although the fix isn't funny, I actually had to borrow an old, cheap-a** soundcard of a friend. So now I'm able to actually play, but only for a couple of days, until i have to return the soundcard.
And yet, after a week of complaining to support, no reply about actually fixing this punkbuster issue :S Not from PunkBuster support, nor from Ubi support ...
So I think I rather return the game and get my 50 back, than spending another 10 for a soundcard that i only need for this game.

un_synapse
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
This is a huge ongoing problem with Punk Buster and Realtek. It really blew up with Bad Company 2.

It is a issue with Punk Buster that they seam to totally refuse to address. Only reason I say its on PB's shoulders is because I have zero problems in the game when PB is not in use (single player) or a non PB protected servers.

Currently the only 100% solution is to disable onboard sound and use another (non Realtek) sound card or use a USB headset.

Only reason I am saying this is so your rage is directed in the right place. Evenballance not Ubi.

Lord_Ethcaz
04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
That's very 'loyal customer'-y of you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
But yeah, my initial rage is toward punkbuster, but it was ubi's decision to use punkbuster. They appearantly haven't really researched, else they would've know punkbuster was causing so much trouble with their latest releases.
Also, we're not able to play without punkbuster, so even that isn't a solution. (Even if we could, would I want to play a game where people were able to cheat?)
So yeah, I blame ubi aswel, but only for neglecting researching the pc as an online gaming platform - and with this I include my thoughts on using port 1000 and oldskool DX9 instead of 10/11.
Great game, but they just disappointed me with all that, I had expected so much more of the creaters of Assassin's Creed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
And since you apparently know the trouble this punkbuster issue causes to the online aspect of the game. Then explain to me why I should actually go out and spend even more money on it, although the game is only partially working and ******* off a lot of community members(cross platform)?
I'm actually afraid that the PC release was so late, and is causing so much trouble, that the whole community will be dead before the patch to fix all problems is released... And if I go out and buy a new soundcard now, I might actually be able to play, but for how long?

And all that when the concept is so amazing, so awesome and addictive. At night I actually dream fractions of the game, assassination animations etc. It's a shame, really...

PWR87
04-02-2011, 07:11 AM
That is really a shame of punkbuster team..
I contacted their support, but no answer came for a week. Now I give up. If that was the plan, it worked.
On monday I'll buy an Asus Xonar DX. It will be 80$ here in Hungary.
So it will cost me 130$ instead of 50$ to play this game, thanks to punkbuster.

Lord_Ethcaz
04-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by PowerSlave87:
That is really a shame of punkbuster team..
I contacted their support, but no answer came for a week. Now I give up. If that was the plan, it worked.
On monday I'll buy an Asus Xonar DX. It will be 80$ here in Hungary.
So it will cost me 130$ instead of 50$ to play this game, thanks to punkbuster.

Dude, check the internet, I'm possitive there are cheaper soundcards out there. I'm actually getting an old one from my father, and the one I already tested, is an old one aswel.
You should be able to get one for less than $15 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PWR87
04-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah you are right, but when I buy, i buy a good one. They say i will be amazed, how much better is the sound quality compared to realtek.

Lord_Ethcaz
04-02-2011, 09:37 AM
You will only be amazed if you actually use the full 7.1 channels. If you're like me and have 2 speakers and a subwoofer, there is no 'real' difference between any of the audio cards these days. (obviously this also depends on the software you're running http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

PWR87
04-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I have a Creative 5.1 set. And sometimes I play with Sennheiser PC 330 headphones. I think i will hear the diferencehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Anyway: I can play that ******* multiplayer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lord_Ethcaz
04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Yah, but decent Sennheiser headphones support multiple channels http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I often use 'em for watching DVDs aswel. But the Realtek HD chipset is 5.1 aswel, so there's no difference between that one and another 5.1 audio card. Only if you really have an ear for that tiny little difference, like sound techs have, you might hear it :P But I hope you'll enjoy it - which you, by the looks of it, will indeed :P

Anyway, @ punkbuster support:

Today, I wrote:
Note #3: No, it's not an issue with onboard soundcards, it's an issue with your software.
The soundcards work fine in all aspects of the games in question, until we combine it with punkbuster.
So it would be greatly appreciated throughout the gamers community, if you would fix your broken software.
04/02/2011 10:49:20 - "Hendrik T"
Note #2: This is in fact an issue with onboard soundcards. You may want to contact Realtek support on a working driver. Nothing has changed on our side, but users have told us a different driver would be working.
Last week, I wrote:
Note #1: My game keeps crashing, and after doing a lot of research, all signs point towards punkbuster being the problem. Your software doesn't work together with the Realtek onboard chipset and Windows 7 64-bit.
My game plays fine in single player, but whenever I play online, it keeps crashing every few minutes. No other games have this, except the one that uses your software.

Of course I also contacted Realtek to see if they, indeed, have a working driver for my specific case. I doubt it, since I already browsed their website for one, but whatever, can't hurt to try...